A week had passed since the encounter in Buffy’s office and both had done well at not bringing it up again. Spike, for his part, had been trying to get more of a reaction from her that he’d started to get at his apartment. He saw it in her eyes that day. She didn’t realize it, but he saw it. She was developing feelings for him. And, being the hunter that he was, he was going to hunt until he caught her. Then, he was never going to let her go.



It was a horrible misunderstanding that she’d thought he was just trying to charm her out of doing the concert and being mad at him. All he’d really been thinking at that moment in time was that he had to kiss her or he’d go mad. Leaving her office without kissing her had made him go mad indeed.



She was consuming him, he realized. She was taking over his entire life. All he thought about was her; all he dreamt about was her. Everytime he was in the same room with her, he couldn’t take his eyes off her, couldn’t stop himself from imagining the hundred ways he would take her. He wanted her enveloped in him and for them to stay that way forever. He wanted to love her, cherish her, and possess her. Just as she’d possessed him.



So now, as they sat side by side in a limo, waiting to be dropped off at the airport for an impromptu trip to New York to do a couple of interviews, Spike was barely listening to her as she rattled off the itinerary. He was staring at her and thinking she was so beautiful he couldn’t breathe.



She handed him the piece of paper. “Spike? Are you listening?”



He nodded and took the paper, glanced at it. “How’s Angel?”



She set her bag between them. “He’s good. Thanks for asking. Did you remember the leather jacket? I think that would be a good trademark for you.”



“I remembered. How long you been together now?”



“About four months. Don’t lose that itinerary. That is your bible while we’re over there.”



“Do you love him?”



“What is it with you and this fascination with Angel? Do you want to date him?”



“Funny, pet, funny. I just want to make sure he’s good enough for my Buffy.”



She smirked, “YOUR Buffy huh?”



He nodded, “didn’t know that you were mine, did ya?”



“Guess not.”



“Well you are.”



“I guess that makes you mine then?”



“It does.”



“Well, my Spike, we’re here.”



He followed her out of the car and helped her with her luggage. “Do you love him?”



“How is that any of your business? And before you answer, allow me. It’s not. Friends or

not, it’s not your business what goes on with Angel and I.”



“I’m sure you tell everyone else though, don’t you? I bet if I asked Cordy how you felt about

Angel, she’d know. You still shut me out,” he told her, following her so closely into the airport he

was nearly nipping at her heels.



She slightly turned to stare at him. “Are you kidding me?” She shook her head. Then she

stopped and spun to him, causing him to nearly collide into her. She held up her hands to stop him,

resting them on his chest. “What the hell is going on with you? Spike, we’ve been ‘friends’ for a little

over two weeks—“



“We’ve been friends a lot longer than that. You just never wanted to admit it.”



“Why are you on me about this? Stop. My personal life is not up for discussion, all right?”



He glared at her. “Fine.”



“Thank you.” And she spun back around and headed for the line.







Sitting side by side in the plain, she watched as Spike sulked. She rolled her eyes and turned

toward the window, trying to block him out.



“I’m sorry I interrogated you,” she heard him say softly.



She turned back to him. “Let’s just forget it okay?” He nodded, not looking at her. The plane jolted to a start and she jumped and then swallowed hard.



“You all right pet?” He asked her.



“Yeah, just surprised me.”



“That why you’re gripping the arm rest for dear life?”



She looked down at her white knuckles and immediately loosened her grip, not wanting Spike to think she was a wimp. ‘Yeah, I’m fine.”



“You’re white as a sheet.”



“I’m Fine,” she said exasperated.



“You’re scared,” he pointed at her.



“Not true.”



“You are,” he smiled broadly.



“You would enjoy that. IF it were true.”



“No I wouldn’t, well, maybe a little. It’d be nice to see Miss High and Mighty be human every once in a while.”



“What’s that supposed to mean?”



“You act as if you have to be Miss Superpower Career Woman that can do it all. Have the boyfriend, the job and the social life. You can’t possibly be as together as you always project you are.”



Her jaw dropped open.



“Which leads me to the question. Are you in love with Angel?”



She shook her head, “you are unbelievable. Is there no limit to what you will do to get what you want?”



He tucked his tongue behind his teeth and smirked, “nope.”



“Well, I’m not answering. Mostly because you want me to so much and I don’t want to give

you that luxury.”



“You think I don’t know, but I do.”



“Know what?”



“Why you won’t answer.”



“Oh? And why won’t I?”



“Because you can’t lie. You’re horrible at it. So, you won’t lie to me and tell me you do when you don’t.”



“How do you know that I just don’t want to tell you that I don’t when I don’t?”



His eyes widened. Hers followed. Truth was out. And she hated him for it. Mostly because it was something she hadn’t even been able to admit to herself, let alone to him. She unbuckled her seat belt and stood, grabbing her purse and bag.



“Pet, where are you going? What are you doing?”



She looked around the cabin, spotting one empty window seat in the back. She didn’t answer him, but moved around him.



He grabbed her arm. “Pet, where are you going?”



“I’m not sitting with you,” she hissed and walked away from him. She sat herself down in the empty seat and turned away from his prying eyes. He was staring at her with longing and regret. Good. Let him feel bad. She turned her head so that he couldn’t see and stared at the window. She felt herself well up in tears and soon they were dropping onto the window and her hands. She tried to make herself stop, but couldn’t. In fact, the more she tried, the more the tears fell. Her fears about herself and her ability to have any normal relationship were surfacing and she couldn’t stop.



“Ma’am do you mind if I trade seats with you? You can have mine over there. All to yourself.”



She still refused to look at him, trying even harder to stop her tears.



“I can’t stand it when you cry,” he told her.



“Leave me alone.”



“Can’t do it sweetheart. Not when I had something to do with making you cry.”



“Then have something to do with making me feel better and leave me alone.”



“Told you I can’t do that. Kitten, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that to you---“



She spun to face him, tear stained, “then why? Why did you do it? Why couldn’t you just leave me alone?”



“I don’t know, pet. I don’t know. I’m sorry. I hate to see you cry, I hate to be the one to make you cry. Just. . . tell me what I can do now to make it better.”



“Nothing,” she said mournfully and turned away again.



He surprised her by taking her hand. “I want to make it better because I care about you Buffy. I don’t ever want you to cry and if I could make all the bad things disappear so you’d never cry, I would do it.”



She looked at him and started to laugh through her tears. “As far as lines go, that’s the best. You should put that in one of your novels. The heroine will be putty in the hero’s arms.”



“I don’t know,” he frowned, “you’re not putty in mine.”



She hit him playfully and moved her hand out of his grasp. “I don’t want to talk to you

about this right now okay?”



He nodded, “when you’re ready. Do you forgive me?”



She sighed, “for now.”





They arrived in New York and got their luggage, hailed a cab and rode to their hotel, all in silence. Spike was watching her, not wanting to push her. He’d hurt her by making her admit that she didn’t love him and he didn’t feel the joy he’d thought he’d feel by that admission. He was worried by her tears. It wasn’t like her to cry—at all. To see her cry worried him and all he wanted to do was make it better. He followed her up to their rooms, on the same floor of the hotel, and waited by her as she unlocked her door. She looked over at him. “I’ll come by later so we can go over tomorrow.”



“That’s it then?” He asked.



“I just don’t feel like talking right now. I kind of want to be alone.”



He sighed and leaned in, kissing her forehead. “If you need me, I’m here, okay?”



She nodded, mumbled her thanks and in she went.


Thanks guys for the reviews! They mean a lot to me :) Please keep them coming...I want to hear what you think such as....what would you like to happen while they're in New York???