Chapter 3


Grinning, Giles put his briefcase on the table, opened it, and carefully lifted out a rather dusty leather case, about 12” by 8”, and about 2” deep.

“Hmm, useful for travelling light, I suppose, one pair of trunks, and a toothbrush!” Spike said. Ignoring the good-humoured banter, Giles reverently put the case on the table, clicked open the lock, lifted the lid.

They all peered inside. Nestling inside a velvet recess, was an ancient amulet.

Billy reached for it, but Buffy shifted him so he couldn’t reach.

“So, what’s this mate of yours say?” Buffy asked Giles

“Well, it’s very exciting! – Amun Rah, Sun God – there’s something about thwarting rivals and claiming what’s rightfully belongs to the rightful one – Mark has never been able to do a complete translation, it’s very worn in parts. It’s all very exciting though, we’re having the devil’s own job trying to sit on this and keep it quiet – else we’ll have a media circus in hours down there, and hundreds of people could collapse the passages and we’d loose vital information” Giles explained

“What have they actually found there?” Spike asked

“Well, passages, but they know there is some kind of chamber down there – they were just moving in ultra sound equipment in as we came away – this could be the biggest find since Tutankhamun!”

“I remember reading about that in 1922…the Times was full of it – London – the world was agog at Howard Carter who found it” Spike said.

Billy again reached for the amulet.

“Billy…be a good boy! No, you can’t have it!” Buffy said

Billy looked at his mom with his big blue/green eyes, and blinked

“Just look at that little face…baby, you can’t have it coz it’ll go straight into your mouth, and it’s covered in nasty germs…well come on, we better be going – Billy needs bathing and feeding – and I’m tired”

They went home.

Spike came downstairs from tucking Billy in.

“Babe”

“He asleep?”

“Yeah, he closed is eyes straight away – baby – Willow is going to babysit for us tomorrow”

Buffy looked at Spike and smiled and said,

“Is she – oh that’s nice…where are we going?”

“Wait and see!”

“Tell me!”

“Nope – it’s a surprise”

“Just a little hint?”

“Well…a nice dress for dinner, but you won’t need a nightdress!” Spike said with a wicked grin

Buffy’s eyes flashed and she grinned

“We’re going out ALL night?”

“All night…Willow will come here at three Saturday afternoon – we’ll be home Sunday lunchtime – with a bit of luck!”

Still having what was a very healthy sex life, it HAD been somewhat curtailed by Billy, spontaneity, frequency and locations had to be seriously considered with a young baby in the house!

***************


“I told you Angel – there’s NOTHING – we’ve checked!”

“And I told you – TO CHECK IT AGAIN!” Simon heaved a sigh and ran back the CCTV tapes and began to re-check for the ‘intruder’.

“Oh god! – Bloody hell – this blouse is ruined!” Harmony grouched, as she wiped coffee from her chest, as yet another alarm went off, being tested by maintenance.

Wesley came into Angel’s office.

“What’s going on? – Have we got trouble?”

“I don’t know….a guy got in here…didn’t trigger any alarms or show on CCTV”

“A guy? – When did this happen? - What did he look like?”

“Before lunch. Tall, dark, slick suit…had a fancy way of disappearing when I…….look, it’s probably something and nothing, it doesn’t matter”

“Did you press for security at the time?” Wesley pressed him. Thinking on what Harmony had said, that he’d been having a nap, and as security couldn’t find anything amiss, Angel didn’t want to go into too deeply what was said between him and the visitor.

“I just thought I’d get them to check things, as a precaution…it…it might have been a dream”

“A dream?”

“Harmony said she didn’t see anybody either, she was at the photocopier, and I was having a nap, or so it seemed”

“I see, well it doesn’t hurt to check I suppose. Are you sleeping okay?”

“Not um, not brilliantly, well a little erratic I suppose – now I can go round in the hours of daylight in here…things have got…how shall I say, a little off kilter”


“Things alright here – nothing on your mind?”

“No – things are fine – even, dare I say it, quiet”

“Then how about a change of scenery” Wesley suggested

“How do you mean?”

“There’s something fascinating coming to light in Greenvale, ancient tombs – Giles has just faxed me some really interesting details”

“Greenvale? Oh I don’t think I-“

“Come on, why not?”

“It’s too near Sunnydale” Angel said, studying his thumbnail.

“And?”

Angel shrugged and turned away from Wesley

“And I wouldn’t want to bump into…well you know”

“But Buffy doesn’t slay anymore – and anyway, this has nothing to do with anything remotely slayer-ish”

“It’s not just…I’d rather not, if you don’t mind” Angel knew he just couldn’t stand to see her playing happy family’s with Spike and their baby. Wesley shrugged

“Suit yourself, but if you change your mind, Cordelia and I are going I the morning”

“Cordelia? – But why is she – I mean, well she might be needed here”

“That vision she had, she can’t make head nor tail of it, so she said if she could go to the actual place – she knows it’s got something to do with Greenvale – so being there might trigger something off”

“In the morning – what time?”

“I said we’d be there before lunch, have you changed your mind – are you coming with us?”

“I might…yes, I think I just might then”

“Good – I’ll leave you to it then” Wesley left as Simon, the head of security ventured towards Angel’s desk.

“The tapes, I’ve checked, and re-checked, there’s nothing…and this is the report from maintenance, all the alarms, are in perfect working order. Believe me boss, nothing could have got in here, supernatural or otherwise without tripping some alarm”

“Right, thankyou Simon, that will be all”

Angel sat and contemplated his trip tomorrow, wondering what it would bring………….

***********



Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny, and both Spike and Buffy were looking forward to their little ‘over-nighter’ trip.

“There will be no problem, we can drive straight into the underground carpark of the hotel, you can go check us in, and then come and fetch me, and we can go straight up in the lift to our room” Spike explained, while he bounced Billy on his knee.

“Are you going to be a good boy for your auntie Willow, hmm?”

Billy gurgled and offered his ‘da’ some rusk.

“Yum-yum, you eat it up nicely, there’s a good boy………babe, what are you doing?”

Buffy was sitting at the table, with what seemed like reams of paper around her, she frowned, picked up another piece and read, then scrubbed something out.

“Just leaving a list for Willow…”

“Babe, she’ll be fine, Billy will be fine, she knows your cell phone number, and where we’re staying, it’ll be enough – she’s bathed Billy before, and fed him – don’t worry”

“Am I fussing too much?”

“Tell mom you’ll be fine son – go on!”

“Ma! Da! Num-nums!” Buffy grinned and screwed up all the paper.

“See – as long as he gets his num-nums – and by what we have in that refrigerator, you could lay siege to this place and still not run out of food for three weeks!”

“I know…I just want everything to go alright…we could, you know, make this a regular thing” Buffy smouldered Spike a look – the thought of sex how they used to have it, instead of having to quieten down was making Buffy hornier than a field of rabbits!

“That right…I could go for that!” Spike gave her a wicked grin making her tummy flip-flop with anticipation.