Chapter 7




At the archaeology site, Buffy stood talking to Giles, while Spike held Billy and talked to Willow.

“Should be arriving anytime now – the hieroglyphics in these new drained passages show a ritual the like of which has never been seen before – it shows Rah, how they prepared his body for the ‘afterlife’ and lay him on a raised altar type platform so he could ascend into the heavens and become the sun god – we’re hoping that this altar will be inside this chamber we’re about to open later on and – oh um, look who’s just arrived – “

Buffy turned her head to see Wesley followed by Cordelia and Angel. She looked around for Spike but couldn’t see him, knowing the ‘extra’ visitors wouldn’t go down with him too well.

There was a slight kerfuffle outside, and Buffy went out to see Cordelia holding her head.

“It’s one of her visions, can we find her somewhere to sit?” Angel fussed, and eventually a campstool was found.

“There…now, are you okay Cordy?” Angel asked with his hand concernedly on her back.

“I, I think so, it’s here, I know it, it’s SO strong – I, oh…the baby – he’s – that’s him!”

Cordelia pointed to Spike who was holding Billy, and trying to keep under the tarpaulin tent covering the site and out of the daylight.

“Bring the baby to me!” Cordelia said

Angel looked apprehensive, and then he saw Buffy go up to Spike and say something, and Spike nodded and turned to leave, when Wesley stopped him, and pointed to Cordelia.

Angel didn’t hear what Spike said to Wesley, but he guessed it wouldn’t go down well, and he saw Spike walk away carrying his son, ignoring Wesley’s request from Cordelia.

“Buffy……...Buffy, is that your son – is that child your baby?” Cordelia called out, and Buffy came over and said

“Yes it is, he’s with his dad – he loves his daddy so much, I don’t get much of a look-in with him unless he wants feeding!”

“He’s beautiful, could I hold him?”

“Well, it’s time for Billy’s tea, we’ve been here since lunchtime, and I was just going to find Willow to say goodbye, and Spike and I we’re going home, so another time perhaps?”

“Buffy, this is important, Cordelia needs to-“ Cordelia reached and held Angel’s hand and said,

“It’s not important Angel, another time will be fine”

“But-“

“No, no buts, it’ll be fine, another time then”

“Buffy, Spike’s waiting in the car, he said Billy wants his tea” Willow said

“Just coming Will, well bye then” Buffy said to Cordy and Angel, and she left with Willow.

“Cordelia, it’s important that you get this vision sorted out, I can’t bare it to see you in such pain and- “ Angel began, and then he suddenly realised everything had gone silent, and everybody around him were frozen like a statues.

“Can you feel it – it’s amazing isn’t it! Won’t be long now…your destiny awaits- hey, MY destiny awaits!”

Angel whirled around to see the strange guy in the slick suit standing by one of the guy-ropes holding up the tarpaulin roof covering them.

“Who are you – leave me alone why don’t you!” Angel shouted. He could feel a mix of anger, fear, annoyance and a myriad of other emotions flood through him.

“Cordelia, CORDELIA!” Angel frantically tried to shake the girls shoulder, but she was as stiff as a board.

“What have you done to them – I DEMAND you put them right immediately!”

Angel could feel his demon close to the surface, he hated the feeling, he was barely in control, and he hated it. The guy in the suit was suddenly beside him and he said brightly,

“Oh, DEMAND do you? Calm down – you’ll give yourself a heart attack – oh sorry it wouldn’t matter at the moment, would it – but then if I give you what you REALLY want…………then you should find a less stressful way of dealing with things – stress is a killer you know”

“Why don’t you just-“

“And why don’t you shut up and LISTEN!” The guy turned to face Angel, and he in turn could see the evil inside the man.

“You’ve got what’s mine, and I’m HELPING you to get something YOU want, now you’d better start getting used to the fact that Wolfram and Hart belongs to me. We can do things the easy way, like this, or the HARD way, where I just come in and TAKE what’s mine…I’d have to kill all your friends first mind, and guess what…I wouldn’t play fair….I could put them into stasis like I have them now, and then I could…………. Burn them?

Angel saw huge flames cover one of the archaeological workers, but then the flames disappeared as quick as they started, it must have been an illusion as the guy was totally untouched.

“Or then again, I could drown them perhaps?”

A huge torrent of water cascaded down, deluging Wesley, but that too disappeared after a few seconds

“Or then again I could just do……..THIS! ” the man pointed at Cordelia and said,

“This time I’m NOT JOKING” Cordelia’s body floated upwards and the man drew a little circle in the air, and Cordelia started spinning around, then jerking and flipping, she was screaming holding her head, and Angel was frantic for the man to stop and he shouted

“Alright, ALRIGHT – Just don’t hurt my friends! What have I got to do?”

Angel glanced worriedly at Cordelia, who was sitting on the campstool again, as though nothing had happened to her.

“Cordy, love, are you alright?” Angel asked worriedly, but again she was like a stone statue again.

The man stepped up to Angel, and placed his hand on his head, his palm resting on Angel’s forehead.

“When the time comes tomorrow, you’ll know what to do!” And with that, he was gone.

“Angel, Angel – ANGEL – are you all right? You totally zoned out there for a second or two!”

“Whu-what, huh?” Wesley stood in front of him holding a glass of water.

“I got this for Cordelia, but you look in more need of it, are you okay?”

“Hmm – oh, er, yes I – um – oh gods, Cordy, you okay love?” Angel swiftly turned his attention to Cordelia, who looked calm and relaxed sitting down.

“I’m fine now, honestly, you’re all making a fuss about nothing!”

“But the spinning round – and Wesley, you’re dry – and that man over there, well, it’s amazing, he was engulfed in flames, and yet not even his clothes are scorched -“

Cordelia and Wesley exchanged worried looks, and Cordelia stood up, and forced Angel to sit.

“Angel, I haven’t a CLUE as to what you’re talking about, but I’m going for a little walk, try to see if I can get a better feel for the place, if I can make more sense of the vision. I think you need to rest more. I won’t be long, will you look after him Wesley?”

“Sure…okay Angel, what were you on about?”

“Me – oh, nothing, take no notice…tired is all” Angel closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Yes well, I suppose lack of sleep would make you hallucinate” Wesley said.

Cordelia went out from the tent covers and went walk-about.

*********


“There’s no way I’m letting that cretin or ANY of his friends near my son, an that’s final!” Spike sat in the kitchen with Billy on his knee.

“All right, so you’ve said all the way home! It was only Cordelia that wanted to hold him, that’s all, I didn’t even speak to Angel”

“Don’t know what they’re doing here anyway, it’s not as if it’s a slayer thing”

“Well I don’t know either, they must have just have come for the ride with Wesley. Giles wants us there first thing, before sun-up, I don’t suppose Cordelia knows that that time of the morning exists, and as soon as we’ve seen the chamber open and that, then we can come home”

“Da – DADADADA – num-nums!”

“Okay Billy-boy, just coming…hmm, look what we’ve got…what is it pet?”

Buffy was warming him a jar of chicken casserole with vegetables, then peach pudding for desert.

************


After bathing and changing him, Spike put Billy to bed, but instead of coming downstairs, he sat in the nursery looking at his baby son sleeping.

After an hour, Buffy came up, she whispered from the doorway

“Is he okay – only you didn’t come down and-“

“He’s fine, I just wanted to look at him, that’s all” Spike said, looking from Buffy back to his sleeping son again.

Buffy smiled and crept in; she put her arm around Spike’s shoulder and kissed the top of his head.

Buffy didn’t question Spike as to why he didn’t want Angel to see Billy, she knew that it was just the way things were, and she wouldn’t force the issue. She stood looking at her son with Spike for a while and then she said,

“Well, I think I’ll turn in, we’ve got to be up for 3.30am”

“Okay pet, you go on in, I won’t be long” He gave her a light kiss and Buffy went onto bed.