Chapter 9


Buffy entered her bedroom as quietly as she could, to look in on a sleeping Spike.

Spike raised his head off the pillows as soon as he saw the door open.

“Sorry babe, didn’t mean to wake you – how are you feeling?”

“Strange – gods, aren’t bodies noisy – breathing and heart beating and stomach growling!”

She sat on the bed and gently pushed his unruly curls out of his eyes.

“Can you remember what happened yet?”

“Nope, not a thing…I remember going in the chamber after Billy, but then suddenly everything went black…I – OW – did I hit my head on something? I’ve got a lump the size of an egg on the back of my head”

“Let me look – oh, never mind baby. Not something, someone. Angel hit you, but we don’t know why yet, Giles and Wesley are working on it – and him” Spike sat up

“Oh, he did, did he, well I’ll just – oh gods…” Spike had swung his legs out of bed, but felt dizzy and sick – a feeling he was totally not used to.

He looked down to his stomach, noticed his chest was slightly pinkish looking. He swayed slightly, and Buffy gently put restraining hands on his shoulders.

“You are not going anywhere, you are staying in bed, Mister. We don’t completely know what’s happened to you yet, the side effects or what, and until we do, I want you out of harms way”

Spike wanted to protest, but he really did feel strange, so meek as a lamb, he allowed Buffy to help him back into bed again.

Buffy was just about to say something, when Spike’s stomach gave a definite rumble.

“Oh, are you hungry babe, want me to heat you up some blood?”

“Blood – um, no…actually blood sounds…no, I really don’t want blood…I fancy chicken!”

Buffy smiled and repeated,

“Chicken? – Okay, what kind of chicken – barbecued, roast –“

“Fried – Kentucky style…and some coleslaw and fries – then chocolate ice-cream!” Spike said with a grin. Buffy beamed back at him and said,

“Sounds good to me, I’ll go get Willow and Xander to fetch it”

“Where’s Billy?”

“Downstairs with them, do you want to see him?”

“Of course”

**

“Who’s in here…eh Billy…who’s in here then?” Buffy carried Billy upstairs

“DA! Da-da – da-dee!” Billy chanted

“That’s right, you are a clever boy – there he is!” Buffy pushed open the bedroom door and Billy began to wriggle in his mom’s arms to get to his beloved ‘da’.

“Hello…hello my son – “ Spike couldn’t speak anymore, he just held his son to him. He hadn’t a clue what had gone on in the chamber, but he knew by instinct that Billy had saved him in some way.

“I’ll leave him with you, and go get supper, okay?”

Spike just nodded and Buffy left the room.

*****************


“But he didn’t actually tell you his name?” Giles asked Angel

“No, I’ve told you – I haven’t a clue who he was, all he kept on saying was, that Wolfram and Hart was originally his destiny, but somebody messed up, and he wanted what was rightfully his” Angel said

“And as a reward, he was going to give you what?”

“I don’t know, he kept asking me what I really wanted, he convinced me it was to be made human again – I guess he knew what would happen in that chamber at sun-up”

“And is that what you want?” Wesley asked

Angel shrugged his shoulders

“I – I don’t know really”

“And nobody else every saw this guy?” Giles asked

Angel just shook his head, and then he said,

“Everybody just sort of turned to stone when he appeared, time stopped, he could flit around, one second he’d be in one place, the next somewhere else. He didn’t set of any alarms or anything”

“Was it that same guy who you reckon appeared in the office, when you had all the alarms checked”

“Yes…look, I’m awfully tired, can I go rest now?”

“In a minute Angel, one more thing – can you remember anything that might help us piece together what happened in that chamber?”

Angel closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

“Not really…although”

“Yes?”

“I think, well – the baby. If that baby hadn’t have been there, I’d probably have succeeded in what I was trying to do. I think anyway”

“No, you wouldn’t” The three men looked up to see Cordelia enter the room.

Giles and Wesley immediately switched their attention to her, and she continued.

“It would have killed you. The sunlight would have just simply reduced you to ashes because it wasn’t meant for you”

“How do you know this?” Giles asked

“The visions I have, I’ve been piecing things together as much as I can. When the chambers closed and the sun rose, I just knew it wasn’t meant for Angel, it was Spike’s destiny, luckily his son seemed to know that too…the child – he had an energy, he stopped you Angel”

Angel frowned and tried to remember.

“I remember hitting Spike, and I could see the child had the amulet, but he crawled away before I could take it” Angel said

“Go on”

“He put it…in the altar, at the front, there is a space for the amulet to fit in…next thing I know, I’m flying backwards, helpless – I couldn’t move…there was screaming – I don’t remember anymore”

“You were unconscious when we found you”

Angel nodded, then a thought struck him, and he asked quietly,

“And what has happened to Spike?”

“Well, he um…he appears to be alive”

“Alive?”

“Yes, alive, as in warm with a heartbeat, but for how long it will last or if there are any side-effects we don’t know yet”

“I see. Can I go now? If I remember anything, I’ll tell Wesley”

Giles stood and nodded

“Okay, um, Cordelia, before I go, could I just have a word…” She nodded and left the room with him.

“Would you please tell me everything you’ve managed to piece together – we really need to know what went on”

“I’ll do my best”

************



Epilogue

Three weeks later


Buffy grinned and said,

“Are you trying to prove something, Mister? I know you still have your vamp stamina!” she didn’t add the ‘thank god’ on the end of that sentence, but that’s what she thought…

Spike cuddled up to her naked body and said,

“No, it’s just that while Willow is baby-sitting Billy, we can have some quality time to ourselves!”

“Trouble is, you daylight freak, you like the drapes and the windows open now – so the neighbourhood get to hear our ‘quality time!’” Buffy said grinning

“Ah, sod ‘em, make ‘em jealous!” Spike began to stroke her back, making her writhe…

“And you’ve got to stop standing naked at the window, I saw old Mrs Hopkins next door hanging about her garden, I swear when she saw me open the drapes she looked up hoping it was you!”

“What –Ew Buffy, she must be in her seventies! Anyway, forget her, forget everything…” Spike leaned up and began to kiss her with mounting passion.

They’d already made love three times during the night, but Spike was always frisky in the mornings, as much as Billy’s timing would allow him to be!

“I love you”

“I know, and I love you – so much”

Buffy lay on her back, Spike lay over her, taking his weight on his forearms, and he began to kiss her neck, then lower onto her breasts and latching onto a rosy nipple he worried the nub with his tongue before sucking gently, making Buffy gasp and arch into him.

Spike entered her slowly, nothing had changed except perhaps he was warmer than he used to be, but the wondrous sensations he sent coursing through her didn’t alter.

Buffy fluttered her nails down his back, scratching lightly, she wrapped her legs around him, drawing him inside her tight wet warmth, gasping as he filled her to the limit.

Thrashing her head from side to side, Spike speeded up his thrusts, at the same time as nuzzling her neck. This always got her hot and she could feel him swell even bigger, knowing he was reaching the point of no return, carefully he slid his hand between them, and he lightly pinched at her slippery clit, causing Buffy to yell and almost howl!

He felt the sweet tight clench of her orgasm, milking him of every drop of his manly seed, and kissing her he whispered to her just how beautiful she was to him, and how much he loved her.

Snuggling together afterwards, happy and for the time being sated, Buffy had her head resting on Spike’s shoulder.

The telephone rang, and Spike snagged up the receiver

“Hello?”

“Hi Spike, it’s me. Jr keeps asking for his Da and his ma-ma, can I bring him home now?”

With a grin Spike said,

“Sure, we best get up now anyway, we’ve got visitors coming today”

“Oh god yes, I forgot! I better go shower!” Buffy said and dived out of bed and into the bathroom.

Half an hour later, Willow arrived with Billy, and not ten minutes later, Giles arrived with Cordelia and Wesley.

As soon as Billy saw his daddy, he got excited and Spike took him outside in the warm sunshine and they sat on a blanket on the lawn.


Buffy’s smile was a mile wide.

“And as you can see, he can go out in sunlight, just like you and me! Boy, was that fun to find out! It was comical how he gritted his teeth and just stuck his arm out of the door first – he – WE were all waiting for the sizzle and the ‘arrg’ and the horrible burning flesh smell, and when it didn’t happen – well – it…gods it was amazing!”

“I bet. So it looks like he’s totally okay with sunlight then!” Cordelia said

“Oh yes, he got bolder and I stood ready with a blanket at the ready, and the moment he stood fully in the sun – (Buffy teared up) it was awesome – he’s out all day in it now, playing with Billy, he’s even talking about doing the garden!”

Wesley and Cordelia smiled. Angel had felt unable to come with them on their visit to Sunnydale, he was still ‘brooding’ at the turn of events.

“Giles said something about him still having vampire qualities though, still?” Wesley asked, and Buffy nodded and said,


“He has a heartbeat, but he can still morph into a vampire, with all the strength and stamina and that, but if he does, he has to feed on blood afterwards, animal blood, obviously - if he stays in human form, he doesn’t need the blood – but, he can’t morph during the day”

“I see, well, we don’t know what happened in the chamber, and I don’t suppose we ever will, but it is amazing alright” Wesley said, and Giles, who had just entered the room, agreed.

“So how is Angel?” Giles asked

“Well, he’s brooding – he doesn’t remember much, he remembers this strange man, although nobody else ever saw him, and he said something about Billy being strong, pinning him to the rocks, and he remembers knocking Spike out, but that’s about it. He hasn’t said as much, but I think he feels pretty bad about things, all in all”

Spike entered the sitting room carrying Billy

“There she is, there’s your ma…hi Wesley, Cordelia”

“Spike, so, working on you tan?” Wes asked with a grin

“It’s amazing – playing with Billy in the garden – it’s awesome, it really is!”

He sat down by Buffy and held her hand.

“So you are enjoying things then?”

“I tell you mate, it’s like being re-born.” Spike said, and kissed his son’s cheek, and everybody smiled.


**********


Deep in the mists of time, Aphrodite smiled down on the happy family scene – her work was now complete . She’d allowed the legend of Amun Rah to take place – the legend that one day the mighty warrior Amun Rah, Sun God, would return to earth to vanquish bad and restore good – and what better way than to have the mighty warrior re-incarnated into another mighty warrior, Spike, the reformed vampire.

Spike had his reward, he loved his family and would take care of them always.

And Aphrodite knew that this time, she wasn’t instrumental in sending them another ‘gift’ – the baby girl Buffy had just conceived was done all by themselves………….

THE END