Chapter 11


Spike drove Buffy home. They were both silent, listening to the radio. Spike pulled up in front of Buffy’s house.

“So…” Spike said trying to break the silence.

“Uh, thanks for driving me home.” Buffy told him.

“No problem, luv. How are you feeling?”

“Tired. Sick. Tomorrow will be hell, with the hangover and all.” Buffy chuckled.

“Yeah, well, that tends to happen.” Spike laughed. “Buffy, I’ve been meaning to ask you, uh, would you like to go out with me sometime? To a movie or something?”

‘Oh my God! He’s asking me out!’ Buffy thought.

“Uh, yeah, I guess.” she answered nervously.

“So, what’s up with your dad? Is he a real pain in the ass?” Spike asked, changing the subject.

“Sometimes. I know he means well, but, he just wants me to be someone I’m not.”

“Yeah, who?”

“Dawn.”

“Oh, Dawn. Well, if it helps, I don’t really think she is as perfect as everyone thinks she is.”

Buffy looked at Spike and smiled.

“You know, you are not as horrible as I thought you were.”

Spike smiled and leaned towards Buffy. He leaned in to kiss her, and then remembered the reason why he was with her in the first place: money. He felt guilty, so he pulled away.

“Maybe we should do this another time.” he said, not daring to look at Buffy.

Buffy looked at him, tears coming to her eyes.

‘Not again. How could I be so stupid? Why did I think he would be different than the others?’ she thought, fighting the tears that threatened to spill.

Buffy opened the car door and got out, running into the house and slamming the door. Spike got out of Buffy’s car and got into his own.

‘Bloody hell. Good going dumbass.’ he thought.

On the way home, he was busy thinking of ways to make it up to Buffy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Conner drove Dawn home. He pulled up in front of the house.

“You never wanted to go horseback riding with me, did you?” Conner asked Dawn.

“Yes I did.” Dawn answered.

“No you didn’t.”

“Ok, not really.”

“Well, that’s all you had to say.” Conner told her. “Have you always been this selfish?”

Dawn looked guilty, and answered softly, “Yes.”

“Just because you’re beautiful doesn’t mean you can treat people like they don’t matter. I mean, I really liked you. I defended you when people called you conceited, I helped you when you asked me to, I learned French for you and then you just blow me off so you could just-“

Conner was cut off when Dawn reached for him and kissed him. When she pulled away, she looked at him shyly and smiled.

“I should go. Thanks for driving me home, Conner.”

Dawn got out of the car and walked up the sidewalk with a huge smile on her face.

Conner sat in the car, momentarily stunned. He blinked, and then slowly smiled.

“And I’m back in the game!” he yelled, driving off.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy woke up the next morning, exhausted from crying herself to sleep. She heard a knock on the door.

“Come in.”

Willow walked in.

“Hey Buffy. I came by to see how things went last night.” She looked at Buffy. “Wow. It must’ve been some party.”

“Oh god, Will. I got completely wasted last night.” Buffy told her.

“Buffy, why did you get drunk?” Willow asked, shaking her head.

“Angel.”

Willow nodded, somewhat understanding.

“Ok. So what did he do?”

“He keeps coming on to Dawn. She doesn’t need to mess with him. He’s bad news. And when I tried to tell Dawn about him, she just blew me off. Hence the tequila party.” Buffy told her, smiling sadly.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. Maybe you could try to talk to her later.”

Buffy nodded slowly. Willow looked at her curiously.

“Ok. What else happened?”

“What do you mean? I told you already.”

“I know, drunk because of Angel, blah, blah, blah. But something else is bothering you.”

Buffy sighed, knowing she wasn’t going to get out of this.

“Last night, Spike helped me walk to the car, and he drove me home. We talked for a few minutes, and we almost kissed, but he pulled away.” Buffy said quickly, a tear slipping from her eye. “You know, I thought he actually liked me. I guess I was wrong.”

“Buffy, maybe he was nervous. Or-or, maybe he wanted to take it slow. I’m sure there is a good excuse.”

“He better hope so.”, Buffy told her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was Monday. Buffy walked into English class, ignoring the taunts from the other students.

“Hey baby, why don’t you hop on this desk and give us another show.” Angel told her.

Buffy rolled her eyes and sat down. Giles walked in.

“Hello everyone. I trust you all had a good weekend.”

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask Buffy?” Angel said, causing the class to snicker.

“Unless she kicked the crap out of your sorry butt, I don’t want to hear about it!” Giles told him. Angel’s smirk faded.

“Alright, turn to page 173 in your textbook, Sonnet 141. Everyone pay attention.

‘In faith, I do not love thee with mine eyes.

For they and thee a thousand errors note.

But ‘tis my heart that loves what they despise.

Who in despite of view is pleas’d to dote.’”

Giles stopped reading and looked at the class.

“Now, I want you to write your own version of the sonnet.”

Giles turned to write the assignment on the board. Buffy raised her hand.

“Yes, Ms.-I-have-an-opinion-about-everything.”

“Do you want this in iambic pentameter?”

Giles looked at her suspiciously.

“You’re not going to fight me on this?”

“No, I think it is a really good assignment.” she told him.

“You’re just messing with me, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m really looking forward to this assignment.”

“Get out of my class.”

“What?”

“Out. Get out. I will not tolerate sarcasm in my class. Go. See Ms. Addams. Go!” he told her, a bit flustered by the fact that she agreed with him.

Buffy shook her head. She gathered her things and walked out.

“Thanks, Mr. Giles.” Angel said.

“Shut up.”