A/N: Sorry guys for the long wait. But…Cruel to Be Kind is now completed, and I will be posting the rest of the chapters soon.
~Ellie


Chapter 17


It was Saturday night; Buffy came down the stairs in her Prom dress. She wore a Titanic inspired gown: spaghetti straps criss crossed in the back, leaving her back exposed, and dipped low in the front, stopping just under her chest, and flowed down. It was gold, with a sheer black overlay. Around her neck was her mother’s locket. She wore her hair down and had it curled, and sprayed with glitter.

“Bye Dad. I’m going to the Prom,” she said, as she passed Hank, who was sitting on the sofa watching TV.

“Very funny, sweetie.” Hank said, never looking up from the television.

Buffy sighed and opened the door. Spike stood there, fist in the air, ready to knock.

“Hi.” Buffy said, smiling.

Spike stood there staring at her, fist still in the air. Buffy shifted uncomfortably, and waved her hand in his face.

“Spike?”

Spike shook his head, and lowered his hand.

“Hello, luv.” he said, kissing her cheek.

Buffy grinned.

“Oh, I have something for you.”

Spike moved his other hand from behind his back. In it was a corsage: a cluster of yellow daisies, tied with black and gold ribbon.

“They’re beautiful!” Buffy said, smiling.

“Not as beautiful as you, luv.”

Buffy blushed and held her hand out to Spike, who put the corsage around her wrist.

“Ready for the Prom?” Buffy asked.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” Spike replied, offering her his arm.

Buffy looped her arm in Spike’s, and they walked to his car. He opened the door for her and she got in. He shut the door and went to the driver’s side and got in.

Just as they drove off, Hank walked towards the door. He watched as they left. He turned around just as Dawn came down the stairs. She was wearing a Cinderella style gown: strapless, and crystal blue with a sheer white overlay. She wore her hair up with a few tendrils hanging down, and a crystal tiara.

“What’s that?” Hank asked her.

Dawn stopped.

“A Prom dress.”

The doorbell rang, and Dawn opened the door. Conner looked at Dawn.

“Wow, you look amazing.”

“Thanks.” Dawn replied, blushing.

She turned to Hank, who was standing there, dumbfounded.

“Bye Daddy.”

They turned to leave when Hank yelled.

“Stop! Explain please.”

Dawn sighed and turned to Hank.

“Well, Buffy found this guy who’s perfect for her, which is really perfect for me, because Conner asked me to the Prom and I really, really, really, wanna go. And since Buffy is going, I can go too, according the rule you made.” Dawn said quickly.

Conner smiled at Hank and held his hand out.

“Nice to meet you.”

“Let’s go.” Dawn said grabbing Conner’s outstretched hand.

Hank watched as they ran out the door, hand in hand, to Conner’s car. Hank sighed and shook his head.

“This is not good.”

He shut the door and went back to the living room.