Chapter 18


When Spike and Buffy got to the Bronze, they could hear the music. Other students were filing in, eager for a night of fun. Buffy looped her arm in Spike’s and they went inside. They found the others sitting at a table talking. Xander had asked Anya; Oz had asked Willow; Amy and Tara were together, and currently Fred was sitting there, arms crossed and a scowl on her face. Buffy and Spike sat down.

“Hey!” Willow said, excitedly.

“Hey.” Buffy replied, smiling.

“What’s wrong Fred?” Buffy asked.

“I think my date stood me up.”, she said.

“I’m sure he’s coming. Don’t worry.” Buffy told her.

Spike chuckled, causing Buffy and Fred to glare at him.

He pointed across the room to Jesse, who was standing there fidgeting.

Fred smiled.

“Go get your man.” Anya told her.

Fred walked over to Jesse. Buffy smiled when she saw them dancing.

“You wanna dance, luv?” Spike asked.

“Sure.”

The others got up as well, and they spent most of the night dancing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Angel pulled up in front of Buffy’s house in his convertible. He got out, adjusted his jacket, and walked confidently to the door. He rang the doorbell.

Hank answered the door.

“Hey, Mr. Summers. I’m Angel. I’m here to pick up Dawn.” he said, a smug look on his face.

Hank looked him up and down, before slamming the door in his face.

Angel stood there a moment, angry that he was stood up. He walked to his car. He got his cell phone and dialed a number. The person on the other end, answered.

“Hey, babe. You want to go to Prom with me? ----Ok. I’ll be there in a few.”

He smiled, and put his cell phone away and drove off.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy saw Dawn dancing with Conner a few feet away. She smiled, and Dawn smiled back, throwing her arms around Conner. Buffy turned back to Spike and kept dancing.

Spike smiled at Buffy, glad to see she was having a good time. He leaned over and kissed her.

“Having fun?” he asked.

“Lots.”, she replied.

She put her arms around him and they kept dancing.



Dawn excused herself to go to the bathroom. She was checking her hair in the mirror when Cordelia walked up. Dawn turned to Cordelia.

“What are you doing here?”

Cordelia rolled her eyes.

“Don’t think you were the only sophomore asked to Prom. Angel picked me up.”

“Ugh, well, he’s all yours.” Dawn said.

“Very generous, princess.”

Cordelia turned to leave, but turned back around to face Dawn.

“Oh, just so you know, Angel only liked you for one reason. He even had a bet going with his friends. He was gonna nail you tonight.”

Dawn stood there shocked, and Cordelia grinned evilly and walked out.

“Son of a bitch!” Dawn yelled, storming out of the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike was spinning Buffy around on the dance floor. She laughed as he spun and grabbed her dipping her. When they came up, Angel was standing there glaring at Spike. They stopped dancing and looked at Angel.

“What’s that asshole doing here with Dawn?”

Angel walked over to Spike and shoved him.

“I didn’t pay you to take out Buffy just so that dick could have her.”

Spike looked over at Buffy, who was standing there, tears forming in her eyes.

“Nothing in it for you, huh?” she asked, before storming away.

Spike glared at Angel one last time, before going after Buffy.

After witnessing the incident, Jesse and Fred danced over to Conner.

“I think the shit hath hitteth the fan-eth.”, he said, as Fred giggled.

Jesse separated from Fred and walked over to Angel, Conner trailing behind.

“Angel, my friend.”

Angel grabbed Jesse and threw him on the floor. Conner looked at Angel and glared.

“Hey! You can’t just do that to him!”

Conner walked over to Jesse and helped him stand. Angel followed.

“You’re gonna pay. You and that little bitch!”

“Take that back! She’s not a—“

Conner was cut off when Angel slammed his fist into his face. Conner fell to the floor, holding his nose. Angel grinned.

“Oh come on, you little bitch!” Angel yelled going after Conner.

By this time, everyone had gathered around them. Angel felt someone tap him on the shoulder. He smirked, and turned around to see Dawn standing there. Her fist slammed into his nose.

“Ow. Shit, Dawn. I’m shooting a nose spray ad tomorrow!” Angel yelled, holding his nose.

“That’s for making my date bleed.”

Dawn slammed her fist into his face again.

“That’s for my sister.”

Then, she kicked Angel in the groin.

“And that’s for me.”

Angel was sprawled out on the floor, moaning.

Cordelia ran up.

“Angel!”

Dawn turned to Cordelia.

“Hey.”

Cordelia looked at Dawn.

“I like your dress.”

Cordelia grinned.

“Thanks. I got it at—“

Cordelia was cut off when Dawn’s fist slammed into her face. Cordelia hit the floor, and Dawn grinned.

“Damn, that felt good.” Dawn said, turning to Conner.

Conner smiled, but winced when he felt pain in his jaw. Dawn helped him to his feet.

“Are you ok?”

“Never been better.” Conner said, kissing her.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike found Buffy standing near the bathrooms. Buffy glared at him and started to walk away.

“Would you let me explain?” Spike said, grabbing her arms.

“You were paid to date me by the one person I truly hate. I knew this was a setup. It was too good to be true. How could I allow myself to believe you were a good guy?”

Buffy ran off, and Spike followed her outside.

“It wasn’t like that.”

“Then what was it like, huh? Was there a bonus for sleeping with me later?”

“No! I didn’t care about the money. I cared about you!” Spike yelled.

“Then why didn’t you tell me the truth when I asked you? Why did you keep taking Angel’s money?”

Spike stood there, not knowing how to answer. Buffy shook her head and ran off. He heard footsteps behind him, and whirled around expecting Angel.

Dawn stood there, and gave Spike a sympathetic smile.

“She’ll come around eventually.”