Chapter 19


Sunday morning, Buffy sat on her front porch with her sketchpad. Dawn walked out with a mug of hot chocolate.

“You want?” she asked.

“Sure.”, Buffy said, taking the mug from Dawn.

Dawn looked at Buffy for a moment.

“Look, I just wanna say thank you for going last night. It really meant a lot to me.”

“I’m glad.” Buffy answered, and smiled.

“Are you ok?”

Buffy looked up at Dawn.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Conner ran up onto the porch. Dawn turned to him and gave him a hug.

“Conner and I are going to his house. They have a stable and horses. Do you wanna go riding with us?” Dawn asked.

“Yeah, you’re welcome to come.” Conner added.

“Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. Maybe another time.” Buffy answered, smiling a little.

“Ok. Well, I guess I’ll see you later.” Dawn replied.

“Ok. Be careful you two.”

Dawn and Conner turned to leave. As they were walking away, Conner turned to Dawn.

“Is she ok?”

Dawn sighed.

“I hope so.”

Buffy watched them leave, a small smile on her face. She looked up when Hank walked out.

“Where’s your sister going?”

“To a bar. With bikers. Full of sperm.” Buffy answered smirking.

Hank shook his head.

“So, tell me about this dance. Was it hoppin’?” Hank asked, trying to sound hip.

“Parts of it. Mostly the ones when Dawn beat the crap out of some guy.”

Hank looked shocked.

“Dawn did what?”

Buffy chuckled.

“Are you afraid that I’m starting to rub off on her?”

“No, impressed actually.”

Buffy looked at Hank. He sat down next to her.

“You know, fathers don’t like it when they realize their daughters are capable of running their own lives. It means we become spectators. Dawn still lets me play, but you- you’ve had me on the bench for years. And when you go to Columbia, I won’t even be able to watch you.”

Buffy looked at Hank for a moment, and then realized his last sentence.

“Wait, when I go?”

“Oh no. Don’t tell me you changed your mind. I already sent them a check.”

Buffy looked at Hank and grinned. She threw her arms around him. Hank sat there for a moment, then wrapped his arms around her.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy ran inside to call Willow.

“Willow?”

‘Hey Buffy.’

“Guess what? My dad sent a check to Columbia. I’m going to college with you!”

‘Oh, Buffy. That’s great!’

“I know!”

‘How are you?’

“I’m fine.”

‘Yeah, right.’

Buffy sighed.

“Fine, I’m still upset. Spike was a great guy. I can’t believe he did that to me.”

‘It’ll be ok. Maybe you should talk to him.’

“I guess. I don’t think I can face him anytime soon.”

‘I better go. My mom is calling me. See you at school tomorrow?’

“Yep. See you later.”

‘Bye.’

They disconnected. Buffy sat on her bed for a while, before remembering her English assignment. She took out her book and got to work.