Chapter 5



Conner and Jesse sat by themselves because they wanted to avoid Spike. Jesse was examining Conner’s French book. He shook his head.

“How do we get him to date Buffy?”

Conner sighed.

“I don’t know. I mean, uh, we could pay him, but we don’t have any money.”

“Yeah, well, what we need is a backer.”

“A backer? What’s that?”

“Someone with money who’s stupid.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel was sitting at his usual table with Gunn, Riley and Parker. He was sitting there drawing on his tray when Jesse sat down next to him. The guys looked at him.

“Is that a peach fruit roll-up? Because you don’t see many-“

As he reached over, Gunn grabbed his wrist.

“Oh, ok, yeah. All right.” Gunn let go of his wrist.

“Are you lost?”, Angel asked him.

“No, actually, I came by to chat.”

Angel shook his head.

“We don’t chat.”

“Well, actually, I thought that I’d run an idea by you, just to see if you’re interested.”

“I’m not.”

“Well, hear me out.”

Angel grabbed Jesse’s face and began to draw on him as he spoke.

“Now, you want Dawn, right? But she can’t go out with you because her sister is this insane head case, and no one will go out with her, right?”

“Does this conversation have a purpose?”

“What I think you need to do, is you need to hire a guy who’ll go out with her. Someone who doesn’t scare so easily.” Jesse pointed at Spike a few tables away.

“That guy?”, Angel asked. “I heard he ate a live duck once.”

“Everything but the beak and feet. Clearly, he’s a solid investment.”

“What’s in it for you?”

“Hey, I’m walking down the hall and I say hello to you, you say hello to me.”

“Yeah, yeah. I get it. You’re cool by association. I’ll think about it.”

Jesse nodded and kept sitting there.

“We’re done now.”

“Yeah.”

Jesse got up and went over to Conner.

“What are you doing getting him involved?”

“Relax, now, relax. We let him pretend he’s calling the shots. While he’s busy setting things up, you have time with Dawn.”

“That is a good idea. All right.” Conner chuckled and walked away quickly.

Jesse shook his head.

“I have a dick on my face, don’t I?”