Author's Chapter Notes:
I don’t own any of these characters, they all belong to Joss except for Shawn, Nick and Zack.....The first song was 'Stacey’s Mom' by Fountain of Wayne, the second one was 'Somewhere I Belong' by Linkin Park, and the third one was 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls
Love Follows You

Bronzing

Buffy rushed home, she slowly walked up the front steps and turned the doorknob. She entered the house and looked around but no one was to be seen. Relief washed over her as she realized that no one was home.

"Buffy? Buffy? Is that you?”

‘Oh no,’ she thought. ‘She sounds mad.’

“Buffy?” Joyce called, coming out of the kitchen to see Buffy still standing by the door.

“Yeah?” she asked softly.

“Where were you?” Joyce demanded.

“I....I....was,” Buffy stumbled. “I went to the mall with Cordelia, then I went over to Xander’s.”

"Need I not remind you that I was supposed to pick you up from school, which I waited there for you for an hour?"

"No, I know you were supposed to pick me up mom, but I totally forgot, I'm soo sorry."

"So I came home thinking that maybe she walked home with some friends. But when I get here you weren't here. So I'm thinking, where’s Buffy, there’s no note, no message......."

"I know mom, I screwed up, I....."

" I don't want to hear it. It's the first day back at school and you promised me that things were going to change, and so far you have shown no sign of that happening."

"But mom, I....."

"Don't but mom me.......Now about where you were."

"I went to the mall with Cordelia, and then I....."

"Cordelia who?"

"Umm.... Chase I think."

"Ok, who is she?"

"She's a girl that I met at school, and she asked me to go shopping with her."

"Ok. Then where did you go?"

"Then I went to Xander’s"

"Xander who?"

"I don't know his last name."

"Find out."

"Ok, I will,” she said quickly.

"And what did you and Xander do?” Joyce asked.

"Me, and him and Willow played Mario Cart."

"Who's Willow?"

"My friend, Mom, I just met them, I don't know everything about them... and I don't know her last name either if that's what you're going to ask next."

"So how did you get to Xander’s?"

"Cordelia drove me."

"So how come Cordelia didn't stay at Xander’s?"

"Cause......I don't know, she had somewhere to be I think, can I go now?"

"Yes, you can go to your room, that's where you can go, you're grounded!"

"But mom, that’s not fair, I can't be grounded! I'm supposed to be at the Bronze tonight! Everyone’s going to be there!"

"Well you should have thought about that before. Now go on, dinner will be ready in an hour, you can come down when I call you.”

Without another word Buffy stormed off into the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator and took off upstairs to her room, stomping her feet all the way and slamming her door once she was inside.

Buffy plopped down on her bed and turned on the radio. ‘Grounded, it’s just like me to mess things up’ she thought.

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Stacy can I come over

After school (after school)

We can hang around

by the pool (hang by the pool)

Did your mom get back

from her business trip (business trip)

Is she there?

Or is she tryin to give me the slip (give me the slip)

You know I'm not the little boy

that I used to be

I'm all grown up

Now baby can't you see!?

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

She's all I want, and I've waited for so long

Stacy can't ya see? you're just not the girl for me

I know it might be wrong but,

I'm in love with Stacy's mom

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

Buffy’s eyes darted across the room to her window; she hadn’t before noticed the tree that stood on the other end. She went over and opened her window and as she did she realized that you could easily get out. She smiled to herself and began to sing to what was now blasting from her radio.

Stacy do you remember

when I mowed your lawn (mowed your lawn)

Your mom came out

With just a towel on (towel on)

I could tell she liked me

From the way she stared (way she stared)

And the way she said

"ya missed a spot over there" (spot over there)

And I know that you think its just a fantasy

But since your dad walked out

your mom could use a guy like me

Stacy's mom, has got it goin on

She's all I want and I've waited for so long

Stacy can't ya see?

You're just not the girl for me

I know it may be wrong but,

I'm in love with Stacy's mom

Stacy's mom has got it goin on (shes got it goin on)

She's all I want and I've waited for so long

Stacy can't ya see, You're just not the girl for me

I know it might be wrong; I'm in love with-

Stacy's mom, ah-oh-ah-oh

I'm in love with-

Stacy's mom, ah-oh-ah-oh

Wait a minute

Stacy can't ya see?

You're just not the girl for me

I know it might be wrong but

I'm in love with Stacy's mom

Buffy picked up a near by magazine and began to read, trying on her outfit and admiring herself in the mirror before she was called down to dinner. Afterwards she went straight back to her room. She sat there on her bed being as bored as ever, when suddenly her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hey Willow, what’s up?”

“Oh nothing much, I just called to see if you were still going to the Bronze tonight? Me and Xander are going at 9.”

“Will, I can’t go.....”

“You can’t!? How come!?”

“I’m grounded.....”

“What! Grounded? Why?”

“Remember when I said that my mom was gonna pick me up from school?”

“Yeah.”

“And remember how I went to the mall with Cordelia instead?”

“Yeah.....”

“Yeah, well hence the groundage.”

“Oh, no, Buffy, are you sure your mom won’t let you come? Did you say sorry?”

“Yeah, of course I said sorry.”

“Well maybe if you promise never to be late again and that it’s really important that you be there then maybe......”

“I was over two hours late Will, she ain’t gonna let me go.”

“Buffy, are you on the phone??” Joyce yelled from downstairs.

“Nooo......” Buffy yelled back.

“Listen Willow, I gotta go, I’ll see you at school tomorrow ok?”

“Yeah sure, c-ya”

9 PM at the Bronze

“It’s great here tonight,” Willow said as she and Xander sat down at a table.

“Yeah it is. So how come Buffy couldn’t come?” Xander asked.

“She got grounded,” Willow shouted over the loud music.

“How come?”

“She was late remember”

“Oh yeah”

“The band is great tonight, huh?”

“Yeah, they're ok I guess, are they the only ones playing?”

“No mate, I reckon there’s another band later,” Spike said coming up behind them.

“Who invited you?” Xander said coldly.

“S’not like I need one. Tis a public place after all.”

“So go publise somewhere that’s not here.”

“Ello red, how’s it going?” Spike said, sitting down on a nearby chair.

“I’m fine, the bands good.”

“I suppose,” Spike stated as he lit up his cigarette.

“Ah, do you mind?” Xander said pointing to the smoke. Spike just rolled his eyes before putting it out.

“So what band is playing next?” Willow directed her question to Spike, sounding interested.

“You’re just gonna have to wait and see,” he told her

“I’m sorry, why are you here again?” Xander asked, making it clear in the asking of why he sat down.

“What’s got your kickers in a twist, Harris?”

“I just don’t like you is all.”

“And what did I do to bloody well piss you off?”

“You wanna know what you did?”

“What are you completely daft? Isn’t that what I just asked you?”

“So how come we have two bands tonight?” Willow jumped in, trying to change to subject.

“They're the opening act luv, there’s a another band gonna play at 9:30.”

“Oh...”

“Yeah so where were we? Oh yeah.....go publise somewhere else” Xander said anxious to get rid of him.

“That’s not where we were, you sodden ponce.”

“Well as I seem to recall it, we were.”

Xander thought for a moment, going over most over the conversation in his head.

‘I’m sorry, why are you here?’

‘What’s got your kickers in a twist, Harris?’

‘I just don’t like you is all.’

‘And what did I do to bloody well piss you off?’

‘You wanna know what you did?’

‘What are you completely daft? Isn’t that what I just asked you?’

'Oh yeah,' Xander realized 'that’s where we were,' he thought to himself.

“You wanna know what you did Spike?” Xander said, looking at Spike who just let out a sigh of annoyance.

“Look Harris, I’d love to stay and chat with you, but I’ve got an elsewhere to be so if you don’t mind I’ll be on my merry way and leave you and Red alone,” Spike rose from his seat and without so much as a good-bye he was gone.

“Xander! Look what you did.”

“What?! I got rid of captain peroxide! You should be thanking me.”

“Xander......you made him feel unwelcome.”

“That’s cause he is.”

“Why is he? He never did anything to you.”

“Sorry, Mom.”

“Your lucky I’m not your mother, Xander Harris, otherwise I’d tell you that if you didn’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all. Didn’t your mom ever tell you that?”

“Will, you know I never listen when my mom speaks.”

“Well you should, then I wouldn’t have to tell you everything all the time. And you were very rude to him.”

“Oh yeah, like he wasn’t rude to me.”

“Yeah, but you started it.”

“Yeah but........”

“Yeah but nothing......you know Buffy’s going to be mad at you.”

“What?! Why?!”

“If he doesn’t feel welcome around us, then he’s not gonna come over and Buffy will be mad cause he’s not gonna be around.”

“She likes him?”

“Well no not like-likes him but......you know, I’ve never asked her if she likes him.......but if you ask me I think they both like each other.”

“Well if I know Spike, which I kinda really don’t, then he’s not gonna let a little thing like no one really wanting him around gonna stand in his way.”

“Buffy wants him there..........and me.”

“You want him around?” Xander asked confused

“I don’t mind.”

“Well, can you at least pretend to not like him for me? I can’t stand the guy.”

“Oh look, the next band is starting.”

“Yeah” was all he said before reading the name out loud.

“Dingoes Ate My Baby.”

“And look who the lead singer is!” Willow said excitedly.

“Spike?” Xander was shocked.

(When this began)

I had nothing to say

And I get lost in the nothingness inside of me

(I was confused)

And I let it all out to find

That I’m not the only person with these things in mind

(Inside of me)

But all that they can see the words revealed

Is the only real thing that I’ve got left to feel

(Nothing to lose)

Just stuck, hollow and alone

And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real

I wanna let go of the pain I’ve felt so long

(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real

I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along

Somewhere I belong

“He’s pretty good,” Willow shouted to Xander over the loud music.

“Yeah, it figures he’d be good,” grumbled Xander.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” he sighed.

And I’ve got nothing to say

I can’t believe I didn’t fall right down on my face

(I was confused)

Looking everywhere only to find

That it’s not the way I had imagined it all in my mind

(So what am I)

What do I have but negativity

’Cause I can’t justify the way, everyone is looking at me

(Nothing to lose)

Nothing to gain, hollow and alone

And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

“So, how long is Buffy grounded for?”

“I don’t know, she never said,” Willow said

I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real

I wanna let go of the pain I’ve felt so long

(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real

I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along

Somewhere I belong

I will never know myself until I do this on my own

And I will never feel anything else until my wounds are healed

I will never be anything till I break away from me

I will break away, I'll find myself today

“Xander, who’s that?” Willow asked, pointing to a guy on stage.

“Who?”

“Playing the lead guitar”

“OH! That’s Daniel Osbourne, also known as Oz.”

“Oh,” was all she said before she went back to listening to the band.

I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real

I wanna let go of the pain I’ve felt so long

(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real

I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along

Somewhere I belong

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong

Somewhere I belong

“Ok, that was our first attempt for our own song, so I hope you guys could pick some bloody sense out of it, god knows I couldn’t,” Spike said to the crowd as they all clapped and cheered. “All right, lets have some classics now shall we?”

And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

'Cause sooner or later it's over

I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

“Hey! I’ve heard this song before. This isn’t there song! It’s......It’s by.......that band! ummm, what’s it’s called.....Oh, never mind the name, itdoesn’t matter. The fact is that it isn’t their song......Plagiarizers!” Xander accused.

“Xander, they said before they started that this song wasn’t there’s.”

“Oh yeah, well it’s cheap then. Singing other people’s songs, why can’t they write their own?”

“They do, the first one was theirs.”

“Well they could have at least told us. If your gonna write a song and get up in front of a whole crowd of people to sing it, then you might as well take credit for it.”

“They did, they said it was their first song.”

“Do you mind, Will? I’m trying to criticize. And the first song really sucked.”

“I liked it,” pouted Willow.

“Hey guys,” Buffy said, coming up behind them.

“Buffy! You made it,” Willow said happily.

“Yeah, lucky for me there’s a tree right outside my bedroom window.”

“You mean your mom didn’t say you could come?” Willow asked, a little worried.

“Nope.”

“Way to go for the Buffster,” Xander said.

“Hey, is that Spike up there?”

“Yup, he can sing good, huh?” Willow replied.

“Yeah......he’s amazing,” she sighed.

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming

Or the moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

And you bleed just to know you're alive

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

“Buffy, you're wearing the outfit Cordelia bought you.”

“Yeah, I wasn’t sure about it at first, but..........what do you think?”

“Ah, it looks great.......I mean, it’s not something I would wear, but it looks great on you.”

“Thanks Will, Xander what do you think?”

“It.......It’s.........Ah.......nice, really very nice, you look,” he stumbled.

“Ok.....I’m gonna go get a drink, you guys want anything?”

“Nope.”

“Nothing for me yet,” Willow told her.

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

I just want you to know who I am

I just want you to know who I am

I just want you to know who I am

The song ended and Spike noticed Buffy heading back to her table.

“So how long have you guys been here?” Buffy asked once she returned with her Pepsi.

“About an hour and half, not too long,” Willow informed her.

“Hey luv,” Spike said as he approached Buffy from behind.

“Oh hey Spike,” Buffy said, smiling.

Oz gazed around looking to where Spike could have went.

“Is he coming with us?” Oz asked Shawn, who was second string guitar in the band.

“Who?”

“Spike. He seems to have disappeared,” Shawn looked around until he found Spike

“No man, check it out,” he pointed to Buffy’s table, by which now Spike had his own seat. Oz laughed slightly, then something else caught his eye.

“Hey, who’s that girl?”

“Oh her, that’s Buffy Summers, she’s a beauty ain’t she? Transferred from L.A not too long ago. Heard she got kicked out for burning down the gym."

“No, not her......the redhead,” Shawn just gave him a weird look and continued packing up his guitar.

“I’ll be right back, guys,” Willow said, getting up from her chair.

“Where ya going?” Buffy asked.

“I changed my mind, I do want something,” she told her.

“Xander, you want something?”

“Ah, yeah, Orange please.”

“Ok.”

Oz noticed the redhead taking a detour and saw it as his opportunity to learn a little more about her.....like for starters, her name!

There she was, right in front of him. He hesitated for a moment then marched right up to her.

“Hey, I, ah...........,” Was all he got out before she walked away without even noticing he was talking to her.

“Who is that girl?” he asked himself.

“Hey, I’m back,” she announced, coming back to the table.

“Here’s your soda, Xander,” she said, handing him his beverage.

“Thanks,” he took it from her

“I heard you singing up there, you were really good,” Buffy told Spike.

“You should have heard their first song,” Xander teased.

“What was the first song?”

“It was nothing, luv.........just something we made up, s’not very good,” he said shyly, not sounding too confident in himself and not making eye contact with her.

“I bet it was great,” Buffy reassured him.

‘Look at them, practically drooling all over each other..............Oh I’m Spike, I hang out with the cool kids, I get the perfect grades and I sing in a band, I can play the guitar and the drums. Everyone loves me with my ‘Look at me hair’ and my girl getting jacket ‘ or as he would say “his duster”, whatever that means. And what’s with all the leather? And the black nail polish? God, I hate this guy..........maybe I should be more like him, yeah that’ll get Buffy’s attention’ Xander thought all this while Buffy and Spike talked.

“Yeah..........so we still need a drummer, our old one quit on us less then a week ago.”

“Oh, I see, and you’re the only band member that can play the drums?” Buffy asked

“Pretty much, yeah, so I’m up their singing lead and people are like 'Where the hell’s that coming from?'”

“Well I knew it was you.”

“Zthat right? Why's that, then?”

“I could recognize that voice anywhere.”

“Really?” Spike asked, hopeful.

“Of course really,” She answered, half laughing.

“Hey,” Oz said to Spike as he approached their table.

“Hey,” Spike greeted back.

“Guys, this is Oz, he’s the band.”

“Hey,” Buffy, Willow and Xander said at almost the same time

“Oz, this is Willow and Xander and.....Buffy.”

“Hey,” Oz said again as he sat down.

“So, ah, the bands gonna hang out backstage, you comin Spike?”

“Well of course he’s going, who wouldn’t want to hang out with the band backstage,” Xander butted in, trying to get him to leave.

“Well for one thing, Harris, it kinda loses all appeal when it’s your band.”

“Right........your band,” Xander mumbled under his breath.

“You got something to say Harris, say it to my face!” Spike said, voice getting a little louder then usual.

“You know what I’d really like to say!”

“SO OZ! How many people do you have in the band?” Buffy said quickly. Willow silently thanked her for coming up with something, she didn’t know what to say and every time she looked at Oz she got all giggly.

“Four.”

Xander glared at Spike intensely. ‘Stupid guy with blond hair’ he thought.

“Hey,” Nick said as he approached their table.

“Hey,” Spike and Oz both said.

“Nick, this is Xander, Willow and Buffy,” Spike introduced again.

“Yeah, I know,” he said looking at the three of them.

“You guys coming back or what?” Nick asked.

This was getting to much for Xander, It was bad enough giving and receiving dirty looks from Spike, but now his friends too? He couldn’t take being around all these people he hated so much.

“Well guys, I guess I’ll call it a night, kinda tired.”

“It’s only 10:30,” Willow said, a little upset.

“Well.....I ah, didn’t get much sleep last night, and early rise this morning, so I’m gonna call it a night.” he stood up to leave, but Willow grabbed his arm.

“Wait, I’ll walk you home,” she offered.

“No, no you stay here and have fun, I don’t live far.”

“You sure?”

“I’m sure.”

“Ok, see you tomorrow.”

“Yup, you bet, bye Buffy.”

“C-ya Xander.”

“Spike.....”

“Harris........”

And with that he was gone.

“Hey, what’s up?” Shawn said as he came over to their table

“Hey,” the rest of them all said back.

“Shawn, this is....” Spike was about to introduce them for the third time but Shawn rudely interrupted

“Yeah I know, we’ve met.”

“So are you two coming or what?”

‘Spike didn’t know what to do, he didn’t want to leave Buffy but he didn’t know how to get the guys off his back.‘I bet any minute now Zack would be here too.God, just sod off already, would ya?' he thought.

“Well, I’m gone then,” Shawn told them as he left to go backstage. Nick, who hadn’t said anything in a while, left too.

“Yeah, so........Spike, we should probably get going,” Oz said, standing up.

“Yeah,” Spike said, while rising from his seat.

“Buffy, you and Willow wanna come with us?”

“Sure, I’d love to Spike,” Buffy said, taking his hand when he offered it to her. She grabbed her purse and jacket then she looked at Willow who had an ‘I’m not sure about this face.’

“Will, you coming? Cause if you don’t want to, I’ll stay here with you.”

“No, it’s ok, I’m coming,” She grabbed her jacket and took Oz’s arm which he offered to her. Buffy still had Spike’s hand as they headed backstage.

Tbc..

*copywrite*