“Spike, have you talked to Buffy?” Fred asked when she came to work two days later. “I tried calling her house last night and this morning, but no one answered.”

“Is she supposed to work or something?” Spike asked, looking at a receipt for a recent delivery.

“No, I just wanted to talk to her,” Fred answered, watching Spike. “So you haven’t talked to her?”

“No,” Spike answered, walking into the office. Fred raised an eyebrow, confused.

‘I wonder what I missed between them,’ she thought. ‘Because I have a feeling that something is wrong.’

“Maybe I should go over there and check in on her,” Fred said, going to the office. Spike looked at her.

‘Did Lindsey get out of jail?’ he thought, becoming worried. ‘He wouldn’t go to Buffy’s, would he?’ He tensed up. ‘If he got to her-’

“No, I’ll go over there,” he said, quickly grabbing his keys and running out of the gallery.

“Yes, something is definitely not right here,” Fred said quietly, walking into the storage room.

When Spike arrived at Buffy’s house, he noticed that her car was gone.

‘I wonder where she went,’ he thought. ‘If her car is gone, she’s probably alright…right? Lindsey wouldn’t be stupid enough to kidnap her in her car, is he?’ He frowned. ‘Bloody hell.’ He grabbed his cell phone and called Fred at the gallery.

“Can you call the police department and ask them if Lindsey McDonald is still in jail?” he asked.

“What?” Fred asked, stunned. “He’s in jail? Since when?”

“I’ll explain everything later,” Spike said. “Just make the call- please.” He hung up and went to the back door of the house before looking in through a window.

‘Nothing seems out of place or broken,’ he thought. ‘So if he came here, it doesn’t look like there was a struggle.’ He paused. ‘Maybe that’s not a good thing.’

He smoked a cigarette to calm his nerves until Fred called.

“Yes, Lindsey is still incarcerated,” Fred said. “What’s going on?”

“I’ll tell you later,” he said. “Right now, I’m worried about Buffy. She’s not home.”

“Maybe she went out shopping or something,” Fred suggested.

“Her and I had a fight the other day,” Spike replied. “And I can’t help but think that she’s not just out shopping or something.”

“I’m sure she’s fine, Spike,” Fred said. “Don’t panic or anything yet.” He sighed.

‘Too late- I’m past being panicked,’ he thought. ‘I’m bloody terrified.’

* * *

A week later, Buffy pulled up in her driveway, getting out of her car and stretching after a long trip back from Los Angeles. She brought her bags inside and looked at her answering machine- 27 new messages.

“Wow, I’m one popular girl,” she said quietly, deleting the messages and getting the mail from her mailbox out front. “And enough mail to fill a trash can.” She was on her way back inside when she saw a car pull up in front of her house.

‘Not now,’ she thought, frowning. ‘I don’t want to do this right now.’

Spike got out of his car and practically sprinted towards her before hugging her tightly, not willing to let her go.

“I can’t breathe, Spike,” she said quietly, and he eased off, taking a small step back.

“I was so worried,” he said, looking at her. “I called you a billion times- at home, on your cell phone…I even called Hank.”

“I know,” Buffy said. “I was there and heard him talking to you.”

“You were there?” he asked, confused. “Hank said he hadn’t heard from you. And unless he’s that daft-”

“I told him to lie to you,” she said, turning and going back inside. He quickly followed her inside and shut the door.

“Why didn’t you call me? I was scared out of my mind, Buffy! I thought something happened to you,” he said sternly, looking at her.

“I needed to get away from here for a while,” she said, her back to him. “Besides, I’m sure your girlfriend made sure you weren’t lonely in my absence.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” he asked, confused.

“I saw Harmony go to your place the night we…I assumed she was going there for you,” she said. “Wasn’t she?”

“Yes, but her and I aren’t dating again, pet,” he said, leaning back against the door. “I called her over because I needed to talk to someone.”

“So why didn’t you call me instead and try talking to me?” she asked, somewhat hurt.

“Because I thought you needed your space,” he replied. “Didn’t ever imagine you’d run off to get it, though.”

“So you’re not dating Harmony?” she asked, clarifying.

“She’s strictly a friend,” he answered. “You know I only care about you, Buffy.” She looked down. “That’s why you left town? Because you thought I was with her again?”

“I didn’t want to be here if it was true,” she said sadly. “I couldn’t believe it in the first place.”

“You’re the only girl I want to be with,” he said, moving forward to graze her cheek. She took a step back, and he raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t think I want that anymore, Spike,” she said, looking away. “I thought I did, but after really thinking things over in L.A., I think it’s best if we just stay friends.” He stared at her, stunned. “I’m sorry.”

“I don’t understand,” he replied. “What aren’t you sure about? I’ll do anything to prove how much I care about you, luv. You name it- I’ll do it.”

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea right now,” she said. “Not after the thing with Lindsey, and losing Mom, and…I need to be on my own for a while. I just feel like it’s the right thing to do.”

“Buffy, please,” he said, not bothering to mask how pleading his tone sounded. “Let’s talk about this.”

“I don’t want to,” she said. “This is what I want to do.” He clenched his jaw and held back the tears that were forming in his eyes.

“Do you really think things are going to work the way you want them to if we just stay friends?” he asked. “Between us working together and-”

“I quit my job at the gallery,” she cut in, and he looked at her with wide eyes. “I didn’t want to work there when school started up anyways, and it’s easier if I’m not there.”

“You’re not working there anymore?” he asked, shocked. “At your mum’s gallery?”

“It’s too hard, Spike,” she said. “Dealing with the memories of her there, you being around… I can’t do it.”

“Buffy, I think you need to sit back and rethink things,” he said. “You’re making a big mistake, and I can’t stand by and watch you do this.” She looked at him.

“Then don’t ‘stand by and watch’,” she replied. “Because I’ve made up my mind, and this is what I want. If you can’t respect that, then…I guess you really don’t care about me after all.” He looked at her, upset. “I’ll see you around, Spike.” She walked upstairs and let herself into her bathroom, closing the door and locking it before she leaned against it and sank to the floor.

‘Maybe it’s a mistake,’ she thought. ‘But it’s for the best. For both of us.’







A/N Okay, I can honestly say I was shocked by the number of reviews for the last chapter- you all blow me away!:) Thank you so much!