Before Fred could look in on Buffy and Spike, the phone rang in the office. She made a face and went to go answer it.

“Hello?” she asked, somewhat impatient to end the call before it even began.

“Hello, Winifred,” Hank said. “I just thought I’d call and see how things are going.”

“They’re fine,” she said, looking at the door to the storage room. “Buffy actually just stopped by to say hello.”

“How is she doing?” he asked. “I haven’t spoken to her in a month.” Fred looked down.

“She seems to be doing well,” she answered. “She looks like the same old Buffy. No piercings, tattoos…visibly, at least.” Hank chuckled. “But I think she’s doing okay.”

“Is she still seeing William?” Hank asked, and Fred smiled softly.

“Honestly, I don’t know,” she said. “They broke up for a while, but I think they might be trying to work things out.” Hank sighed. “Do you really not want them to be together?”

“You know, I used to think that, but honestly, I think out of anyone there, he will take the best care of her,” Hank said. “I know he’s protective of her and cares about her, and as a father, you can’t ask for much more than that.” Fred smiled. “In fact, I think I’d like you to offer him his old job back.” Fred giggled quietly.

“I’ll be sure to tell him that,” she replied.

“Good,” he said, sighing. “Can you be sure to tell her I called and wish them well for me?”

“I’d love to,” she said. “Take care, Hank.” She hung up and looked at the back room’s door again.

‘I just hope I have a reason to wish them well now,’ she thought before quietly exiting the office.

* * *

Spike couldn’t take his eyes off of Buffy, thoroughly shocked to see her.

‘What’s she doing here?’ he thought. ‘Not that I mind, but-’

“Hi,” he replied, hoping he didn’t sound as stunned as he felt.

‘I’ve waited for this moment for weeks, and now I can’t even think of a word to say,’ he thought. ‘Think, you bloody wanker, think!’

“What’re you doing here?” he asked.

‘Really smooth, Spike,’ he berated himself. ‘Make it sound like you don’t want her here. You’re such a dumb ass.’

“I wanted to check in on you and Fred,” she answered, sitting down on a crate. “I guess curiosity got the better of me.”

“Yeah, well, curiosity killed the cat,” he replied, cutting open a box.

“I saw you a few nights back,” she said, watching him. He looked at the box, frowning.

“I saw you, too,” he said, and she raised an eyebrow. “Your boyfriend seems…tall.”

“What?” she asked, confused. “What’re you talking about?”

“The whelp you were with at the Bronze about a week ago,” he answered, opening the box.

“Xander?” she asked, smiling. “He’s not my boyfriend.” He looked at her, inwardly relieved. “Don’t tell me you were jealous over Xander Harris.”

“You’re not dating him?” he asked, and she shook her head. “Oh.” He ran a hand through his hair, chuckling. “Sorry, I guess I just assumed.”

“It’s okay,” she answered, looking down. “What about you? Are you dating someone?”

“No,” he answered, and she smiled softly.

“William, I’m sorry,” she said, looking at him. He tilted his head, watching her carefully. “I’m sorry I’ve been a bitch to you for as long as I’ve known you, but more specifically, over the last couple of months. And I know I’ve hurt you- more than I know, I’d imagine- and simply apologizing probably isn’t good enough, but I do mean it when I say that I’m sorry.”

“Been thinking over the situation between us for the last month?” he asked, studying her. She sighed.

“Yes,” she answered. “I guess it hit me that I’ve been incredibly horrible to you, and even though I’ve used it as an excuse before, you haven’t deserved it.” She paused, smiling. “Most of the time.” He looked down, smiling, too. “I should probably go.” She stood up, but before she could walk out, he caught up to her and turned her around.

“You and I’ve been through a lot together, Goldilocks,” he said, looking into her eyes. “Most of which has been bad.” She nodded, looking down, but he tilted her chin up. “And I’m sorry I gave you a reason to not want me around.”

“Will-” she said quietly, but he put a finger over her lips to silence her.

“But I care about you, Buffy, and for as long as I live, that’s never going to stop,” he said. “Whether you want me around or not, I’m going to care about you because we’ve lived through some challenging times together, some things that I know I will never forget.” She felt her eyes misting up. “So no matter what you say to me or do…I’m going to forgive you for the last couple of months because I’m just as much to blame as you are.” She let a tear roll down her cheek. “And stop crying because I might start and that just wouldn’t be good.” She laughed and wiped off her eyes.

“You have a way with words, you know that?” she asked, looking up at him. He smiled and wiped off her cheeks gently before cupping them and leaning down to kiss her. “Thank you, Spike.”

“What happened to calling me William?” he asked, smirking. She giggled and wrapped her arms around him, an action he reciprocated. “I like the way it sounds when you say it.”

“Thank you, William,” she said, looking up at him, and he kissed her once again.

They heard clapping off to the side and broke apart to look at Fred, standing in the doorway and grinning.

“It looks as if we have an audience, kitten,” Spike said, looking at Buffy, who slightly blushed.

“Am I witnessing a reconciliation?” Fred asked giddily, and Buffy looked up at Spike, smiling.

“Are we reconciling?” she asked, and he kissed her forehead.

“Yes, luv, I think we are.”







A/N Because I'm a pushover and my computer is actually working at the moment, I decided to post this for your viewing pleasure. My computer is very wonky today, so I can't promise that I can post tomorrow...but I hope so:)