Ten Months Later…



“Spike, we can’t be late for the gala,” Buffy said as she got out of bed, not bothering to cover her nude body as she walked across the hall and into the bathroom. He sighed and stood up, stretching out and smiling as he walked to his dresser, opening the top drawer. Buffy came back in the room and walked to the closet, pulling out a dress bag. “We really shouldn’t have waited until right now to get ready.”

“Sorry, pet- I couldn’t help but make love to you,” he said, smiling softly at her. She grinned and slipped her black silk halter-dress off its hanger before going back into the bathroom. He grabbed a small black velvet box out of the drawer and carried it to where his suit was hanging, slipping it into one of the pockets.

‘I can’t believe it’s been over a year already,’ he thought as he began to get dressed. ‘Time really flew by.’ Buffy came out of the bathroom, now in her dress, running her fingers through her hair and sighing.

“I don’t look like I just had sex, do I?” she asked, worried. He chuckled and walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her. “Stop, you’re distracting me.”

“Sorry, luv,” he replied. “I thought I was a welcome distraction.” She giggled and began to put on a minimal amount of make-up. “Sweetheart, you already look gorgeous.”

“So do you,” she said, watching as he straightened out his dark blue tie. She studied him for a moment, taking in how good he looked in a black, pinstriped suit.

‘He is the definition of eye-candy,’ she thought as she put on lip-gloss.

“Ready to leave, my sweet?” he asked, extending a hand to her. She quickly slid on her black heels before putting her hand in his and allowing him to lead her downstairs. “Is Red meeting us there?”

“She’s showing up with Xander in an hour, I think,” Buffy said, smiling. “I still can’t believe they’re dating. It seems like it has been years in the making.” Spike grabbed his car keys and walked outside, her following him. They got in his car and began to drive towards the gallery. “I can’t wait to see Dad again.” Spike frowned, remembering that Hank would be there.

‘Well, I guess it’s good if he’s there to see this tonight,’ he thought, absently patting the box in his pocket. ‘I’ve put it off long enough.’

* * *

Buffy and Spike walked into the gallery, their arms linked, and made their way through the crowd to locate Hank, Lilah, and Fred, talking near the office. Hank saw his daughter and instantly hugged her.

“You look beautiful, dear,” he said. “It seems like it’s been ages.”

“Four months,” Buffy replied, smiling. “Not since your wedding.” Hank smiled at Lilah before wrapping his arm around her waist. “How’ve you been?”

“We’re doing well,” Lilah answered. “How about you and William?”

“Absolutely perfect,” Spike said, kissing Buffy’s temple. Hank smiled warmly at the couple, glad to see that they were still together and obviously happily in love.

‘I’m just surprised they’re not even engaged yet,’ he thought, looking at his daughter’s left hand.

“So, where’s your date for the evening?” Buffy asked, looking at Fred.

“Wesley is on his way,” she answered. “He got caught in traffic on his way from L.A.” Spike leaned down to Buffy’s ear.

“Want to go walk around for a bit, luv?” he whispered, taking her hand in his. She nodded and excused them from the group before they began to aimlessly walk around, finally making it to a fairly empty spot. Spike took a deep breath before putting his hand in his pocket and clutching the ring box. “So, I’ve been thinking, pet.”

“What’ve you been thinking about?” she asked inattentively, looking at paintings on the wall.

“I’ve been thinking about us starting a future together,” he said, somewhat nervous. She raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

“What do you mean?” she asked, confused. “We already live together. What else is there-” She cut herself off as she realized what he was talking about. Her eyes widened as she looked at him. “Oh! You mean-”

“What do you think about it?” he asked, his anxiety only increasing.

“I… I think that I’d like to spend the rest of my life with you,” she answered honestly, and he smiled softly before pressing his lips to hers for a gentle kiss.

“So if I asked you to marry me, you would say yes?” he asked, and she nodded, grinning as tears formed in her eyes. “You promise?” He took the ring box out of his pocket and opened it, revealing the platinum engagement ring inside with a princess-cut diamond on it. She gasped in shock as she stared at it, covering her mouth with her hand. He heard her mumble something and smirked. “What was that, luv?”

“Are you serious?” she asked, grinning. “Is this for real?” He nodded, still awaiting her answer. She looked between him and the box for a moment, her jaw still dropped.

“So are you actually going to say yes, or did you just say that to mislead me?” he asked jokingly. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him intensely, more in love with him in that moment than she ever had been before.

“Of course it’s yes,” she answered giddily, letting a couple of tears escape her eyes. He smiled as he wiped them away before taking the ring out of its box and sliding it onto her left hand’s ring finger.

“Think you can wear that forever?” he asked, running his hand over her hair and grinning.

“For all of eternity,” she answered, kissing him again, in disbelief that she was now engaged to Spike.

‘But it’s been a long time coming,’ she thought happily, sighing.

Hank stood off to the side, watching them with a smile on his face.

‘Maybe Joyce was right- they are meant to be together,’ he said, raising up the champagne flute he was holding before sipping from it. ‘I’ve always loved happy endings.’

THE END







A/N Sadly, that’s it for this fic. I’d really like to thank everyone who has read this and reviewed- you all are absolutely sweet and amazing! Also, I’d like to again thank those who voted for me for Best Spuffy Fic this last week- it meant more to me than you know! I’m going to start posting a new fic on April 1st, titled “An Unfriendly Wager”, so be on the lookout for that:) Anyways, I hope everyone enjoyed this because I know I really had a blast writing it. Thanks again!