That night, Buffy decided to head to the Bronze to get away from the gallery and all of the thoughts that were plaguing her. She went to the bar and ordered a soda, all the while looking around the club to see who was there. When her eyes fell on Lindsey talking to a brunette girl, she raised an eyebrow.

‘This just makes the situation so much more interesting,’ Buffy thought. ‘Who is she?’

It was only seconds later when Lindsey looked at her and grinned, grabbing the other girl’s hand and pulling her through the crowd behind him as he approached Buffy. She took a deep breath and drank some of her soda, mentally trying to collect herself.

“Hey, Buffy,” Lindsey said, smiling at her. “I want you to meet Eve.” Buffy shook the girl’s hand and managed a small smile.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Eve said. “Lindsey’s told me all about you.”

“Has he?” Buffy asked, raising an eyebrow. “Sorry, but I don’t think he’s ever mentioned you.” Eve looked at Lindsey, frowning. “So, how long have you two been dating?”

“We’re just friends,” Lindsey replied. “For now.” Eve nodded and saw someone across the room, waving at her.

“Hey, I’ll be right back,” she said, looking at Lindsey and then at Buffy. “It really was nice to meet you.” Buffy nodded and watched as Eve walked away.

“She seems nice,” Buffy said, looking into her drink. “How long have you known her?”

“Is it just me, or do you seem kind of jealous?” Lindsey asked, smirking.

“No, not at all,” Buffy replied. “But if you were cheating on me, that’s just another point against you.”

“I’ve known her for a couple of years,” he said. “She used to live here and then moved to Santa Cruz, but she’s coming back soon.”

“I hope it works out,” Buffy said, looking at him. “If I find out that you hurt her or anyone else, you know I’m going to go to the cops, right?”

“How many times do I have to tell you that I didn’t mean to hit you?” he asked exasperatedly. “It was an accident!”

“Running a car into a tree is an accident,” she replied sharply. “Running your fist into somebody's stomach is a plan.” He frowned. “Don’t give me a reason to turn you in, Lindsey. If I find out anything against you, I’ll-”

“If you ‘find out anything against’ me, go to the cops, Buffy,” he replied, shrugging. “But you won’t find anything, and I wish you’d just let it go already.”

“I’ll never let it go,” she said quietly, sipping from her cup. “I’ll see you around, Linds.” He nodded and turned around, heading towards Eve. She sighed and sat down on a barstool, wishing she’d just have the courage to go to the police and turn him in.

‘Because if he does hurt someone else, you’re going to feel guilty for the rest of your life,’ she thought, finishing her drink and slamming the cup down on the bar. ‘I can’t even go out and have a good time anymore. What’s wrong with me?’

* * *

As Spike walked into his apartment, he saw Harmony sitting on the couch, waiting for him solemnly.

“Were we supposed to have a date or something tonight?” Spike asked, putting his keys on his kitchen counter.

“No,” she answered, taking a deep breath as she stood up. “It’s over, isn’t it?”

“What?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “What’re you talking about?”

“You and I,” she said quietly, looking at him. “It’s over between us, isn’t it?” He paused before slightly nodding. She looked down, fighting back tears.

“I’m sorry, Harm,” he replied, looking away. “I should’ve said something before or talked to you about it.”

“There’s someone else, isn’t there?” she asked moments later, wiping off her eyes as she looked at him.

“What makes you think that?” he asked, wondering if she knew somehow about his one-night stand with Buffy.

“Because you’ve seemed detached for a month now,” Harmony said. “And I guess I figured it was because of losing Joyce, but now I think it’s something else. Someone else.”

“There’s someone I care about, yes,” he admitted. “But it’ll never happen. She doesn’t feel the same way.”

“I can’t see why a girl wouldn’t like you,” she replied, smiling softly. “You’re quite the catch.”

“Thank you,” he replied, hugging her. “I’m sorry it didn’t work out, luv.” She sighed and took a step back.

“Me, too,” she said. “It was fun.” He nodded. “Goodbye, Spike.” She took one last look at him before leaving his apartment. He sighed and ran a hand over his face.

“I need a drink,” he said to himself before leaving his apartment and heading into town.

* * *

When Spike saw Buffy sitting at the bar of the Bronze, he smiled to himself before walking towards her, sitting down beside her. She looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

“You’re the last person I expected to see here tonight,” she said, looking into her half-empty glass.

“Could say the same for you,” he replied, ordering a beer. “You look like someone killed your goldfish.”

“Lindsey was here before,” she said, and he frowned. “He left a couple of minutes ago, so it looks like you won’t be attacking him tonight.” He smiled softly. “He was with a new girl, some chic named Eve. She seems like his type.”

“So why do you seem so down and out?” he asked, taking a swig from his bottle.

“I really should report him, shouldn’t I?” she asked, and he nodded vigorously. “But it could ruin his whole life, Spike. Maybe he really didn’t mean to punch me.”

“And maybe he’s punched girls before,” Spike replied. “Maybe he raped someone, pet.” She looked at him. “It’s better to be safe than sorry, Buffy. You could protect other girls in this town.”

“While in the process screwing him out of his UCLA scholarship?” she asked. “Keeping him from becoming a lawyer, which apparently is his dream?”

“He made the mistake, luv, not you,” he said. “You shouldn’t be protecting him.”

“We all make mistakes,” she replied, looking at Spike. He nodded and looked down. “I don’t know what to do.”

“I’m sure it’ll come to you,” he said. She nodded, and silence fell over them for a moment. “Harmony and I broke up tonight.” She looked at him. “Just thought I’d tell you.”

“Did she ever find out about you and I?” she asked quietly, and he shook his head.

“I’m afraid this break-up was bound to happen for a while,” he said, shrugging. “It’s for the best.” A slow song began to play in the club, and he offered his hand to her. “Do you want to dance?” She looked at him and then at his hand for a second before placing hers on top of it and allowing him to lead her out to the dance-floor. Once they made it to a fairly empty spot, he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close to him while her arms went around his neck. She sighed and rested her head on his shoulder, not surprised at how comfortable it felt to be in his arms again. “So, I don’t have a date for the gala.” She smiled softly.

“Neither do I,” she said, looking at him. He smiled and grazed her cheek.

“Do you think maybe I could be your date?” he asked, and she shrugged jokingly. He chuckled and kissed her forehead softly. “Is that a yes, pet?”

“Yes,” she answered, resting her head back down and smiling.

“So does this mean that we’re going to try being friends?” he asked curiously, running his hand over her wavy hair.

“I guess it’s better than being enemies,” she answered, getting both of them to smile.