When the night of the gala finally arrived, Buffy spent hours getting ready, meticulously perfecting every detail of her appearance.

‘Spike’s going to lose it,’ she thought, grinning as she looked in a mirror at the crimson gown she was wearing, which accentuated her curves and added to her cleavage. ‘Absolutely fabulous.’

She grabbed a matching purse and slid on heels before walking downstairs, meeting her father in the kitchen.

“You look beautiful,” Hank said, kissing her cheek. “Are you ready to leave?”

“Yep, let’s get this party started,” she said, smiling, following him outside and to the car.

After getting in and rolling down the driveway, Hank took a deep breath and looked at Buffy for a moment.

“Are you sure you’re okay with me returning to L.A.?” he asked. “Because if you’re not, I could probably pull some strings and move here.” Buffy smiled softly.

“I’ll be fine, Dad,” she replied. “But thanks for asking.” He nodded and began to drive to the gallery.

“So, about you and William,” Hank said, focusing on the road. “Are you two dating now?”

“I think we’re still just friends,” she answered. “Him and I didn’t get along for a very long time, so I think we need to work on that before we even consider dating.”

“But you’re his date tonight, correct?” he asked, and she smiled, looking out the window.

“Yes, he’s my date,” she replied.

“I just don’t want to see you get hurt, Buffy,” Hank said. “He’s a lot older than you, which could lead to a lot of problems, you realize.”

“I know,” she replied. “I don’t even know if we will ever be together.” Hank cleared his throat and nodded.

“Right,” he said, looking at her for a moment. “I know I’m your father and shouldn’t approve of it in the first place, but maybe you two will be good for each other.” She smiled at him.

“Yeah, maybe we will be,” she said, looking outside once again.

* * *

When Spike saw Buffy walk into the gallery, he felt as if his heart had stopped beating.

‘She’s the most magnificent creature I’ve ever laid eyes on,’ he thought, looking at every inch of her. ‘And tonight, she’s all mine.’ She saw him and grinned, walking through the crowd to stand in front of him.

“Hi,” she said, laughing as he continued to look at her dress. “Do I really look that bad?”

“Not in the slightest,” he replied, his eyes focusing on hers. “You’re breath-taking, you know that?”

“Why thank you,” she said, smiling. “You clean up pretty nice, too.” He smirked. “I think it’s safe to say that you look absolutely gorgeous every year when you wear a tux.”

“Thanks,” he said, looking at his outfit. “It’s rather uncomfortable, but it’s a small price to pay to look hot for you.” She giggled when he wrapped his arm around her waist and softly kissed her forehead. “Think I could get a dance with the prettiest girl at the party?”

“What am I supposed to do? Stand over here and watch?” she asked, smirking. He chuckled and led her towards the makeshift dance-floor they had created in the gallery. A band had been brought in to play music for the night at Buffy’s request, due to the fact that Joyce had always liked live music more than music played by a DJ.

When Spike wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close, she began to remember why she wanted him that night, and it wasn’t just for comfort- being with him felt right. He kissed her bare shoulder and smiled softly.

“You really are the belle of the ball,” he said quietly, looking into her eyes. “I think you always have been.”

“I appreciate the flattery,” she said, grazing his cheek. “But you don’t have to say it.”

“I want to,” he replied. “I meant every word of it.” She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. “When I call you ‘princess’, it’s usually not to piss you off.” She looked at him, confused. “You are a princess, even if you’re snobby and evil.” She giggled. “You’re my princess.” She leaned up to gently press a kiss to his lips. “Am I your prince?”

It was then that Buffy felt as if someone was watching her. She turned and saw exactly who it was- Lindsey.

* * *

Spike felt her tense up in his arms and followed her gaze, instantly feeling anger course through him.

“That’s him, isn’t it?” he asked, looking at her. She nodded numbly, breaking away from Spike and heading towards Lindsey, who was standing on the other side of the room. Spike followed her, his fists clenched at his sides as he walked.

“What’re you doing here?” she asked quietly when she finally reached Lindsey.

“Wanted to see how pretty you looked,” he answered, looking up and down her body. “You look beautiful, Buffy.”

“Thanks,” she said, looking down. Spike stood beside her and appraised the brunette teenager.

“I’m Lindsey,” he said, extending a hand to the platinum blonde who was staring at him. Spike looked at Lindsey’s hand and raised an eyebrow. When Spike didn’t shake his hand, Lindsey slowly put his hand down, feeling slightly uncomfortable by the other man’s demeanor.

“I think you should leave,” Spike said sternly, crossing his arms. Lindsey looked at him, surprised.

“Yeah? And why is that?” he asked. Spike balled up his fist and punched him, sending Lindsey stumbling back until he hit a wall. Buffy gasped, as did everyone else in the room that had witnessed it.

“That’s for ever touching my girl,” Spike said in a low tone before punching Lindsey again. Buffy managed to pull him back, still in shock and slightly terrified. Hank instantly appeared after moving through the crowd, looking at Lindsey and then at Spike.

“What the hell happened?” he asked. “Explain yourself, William.”

“He deserved it,” Spike said, cradling his red knuckles.

“I didn’t do anything!” Lindsey replied, coddling his nose. “He fucking hit me for no reason!” Spike was about to speak, but Buffy grabbed his arm and shook her head, trying to mentally tell him to stay quiet about the truth.

“You should go, Lindsey,” Buffy said, looking at him. “I’m sorry.” He clenched his jaw and stormed out of the building just as Hank turned to look at Spike.

“You’re fired.”