By nightfall, Hank had all of his stuff packed up and in his car, ready to return to Los Angeles. Before he left, he went to Buffy’s room and quietly knocked on her door before opening it. She was sitting on her window-seat, watching the sunset, her back to him.

“Are you leaving?” she asked, still focused on the sky.

“Yes,” he answered, leaning against the doorframe. “I don’t like what happened before, Buffy.” She looked down. “You’re my daughter and I love you, but I think you’re making some very bad decisions.”

“Maybe I am,” she replied. “But I’d rather learn from my mistakes than be told what to do.” He nodded and looked down. “I’m sorry for how I acted before, but I meant everything I said to you.”

“Don’t shut me out of your life,” he said, and she looked at him. “I love you, Buffy.” She nodded and looked outside again. “So, this is goodbye?”

“For now,” she answered. “I’m sure I’ll talk to you again soon.” He sighed and turned. “Goodbye, Dad.”

“Goodbye, Buffy,” he replied, walking away. She took a deep breath and waited until she heard the door close to stand up and get her phone. Spike picked up just as she watched Hank drive away.

“He’s gone,” she said, sighing. “Want to come over?”

“I thought he wasn’t leaving for a while,” Spike replied. “Why’d he leave this soon?”

“I told him to,” she answered quietly. “I wanted him to go.”

“So he’s going back to L.A. tonight? And you’re going to be living alone now?” Spike asked, trying to clarify things he already knew to be true.

“Yes,” she answered. “Are you going to come over?”

“Maybe we should just take the night off and think things through, pet,” he suggested. “I know there’s a lot that’s on my mind, and I’d bet to wager the same is true for you.”

“So you’re not going to stop by?” she asked sadly.

“I just think we should be apart tonight to consider what it is that’s going on with us,” Spike said, even though he wanted to be with her more than ever.

‘But I want her to be sure of all of this,’ he thought. ‘I know what I want with my life- to spend it with Buffy. I doubt she feels the same way.’

“Fine,” she said, somewhat angry. “Bye.” Before he could get in a word edge-wise, she hung up the phone and tossed it onto her bed.

‘I know I wanted to be alone before, but now it doesn’t seem so nice,’ she thought. ‘I don’t want to be alone anymore.’

* * *

After a few minutes of sitting around bored, Buffy called Fred.

“So, what exactly happened last night?” Fred asked. “Hank told me that Spike punched your boyfriend.”

“Yeah, he did,” Buffy said, sitting on the couch. “Lindsey deserved it, though. He’s such a jerk, Fred.”

“I thought he was a sweet guy?” Fred asked, surprised.

“He was in the beginning, but after a while, things changed,” Buffy answered. “But Dad fired Spike.”

“He didn’t tell me that,” Fred replied, frowning. “I bet Spike didn’t take that well.”

“A lot better than I would’ve had I been in that position,” Buffy said. “But I was wondering if maybe we could bring him back in. We wouldn’t necessarily have to tell Dad, and you’re in charge now while he’s in L.A.”

“I don’t know, Buffy,” Fred replied. “I don’t know if it’s wise to go against Hank’s wishes.”

“I don’t really care what he wishes,” Buffy said sternly. “I want Spike to have his job back.”

“I could be fired if I allow him to work with us again,” Fred said. “You do realize I’d be risking a lot if I did this.”

“So you’ll do it?” Buffy asked, smiling softly.

“But if I get in trouble, I’m blaming it all on you,” Fred answered, smiling.

“I owe you, Fred,” Buffy said, sighing.

“Good- work for me tomorrow and we’ll call it a deal,” Fred replied, causing Buffy to laugh.


* * *

When the doorbell rang an hour later, Buffy walked to the door and opened it, hoping it was Spike and that he had changed his mind. She instantly froze as she was faced with Lindsey, sporting both a black eye and a broken nose. She took a step back, trying to shut the door quickly, but he pushed his way through and slammed the door behind him.

“What…what’re you doing here?” she asked, surprised that she sounded a lot calmer than she felt.

“Wanted to see if the blonde wonder was here,” he replied sharply. “Where is he?”

“At his apartment,” she answered, taking a small step back as Lindsey moved closer to her.

“So it’s just us?” Lindsey asked, tilting his head as he looked up and down her body. She was scared by the change in his behavior and took another step back, closer to her telephone. “Come on, Buffy, let’s try working things out.”

“Go home, Lindsey,” she said quietly, her voice wavering a bit.

“No, I think things are just about to get interesting,” he replied, quickly moving forward and tightly wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her to him. “Don’t you think?”

“Why are you doing this?” she asked, visibly shaking in his embrace.

“Because I love you, baby,” he whispered in her ear before kissing the crook of her neck.

“I don’t love you, Lindsey,” she said, managing to push him back. Before she knew what was happening, his fist slammed into her eye, causing her to fall backwards from the force of it, hitting her stairs. Her hands flew up to cover her eye, pain spreading throughout her whole body. “Get the hell out of my house!” She stood up again and pushed him back, towards the door, but he punched her again, this time in the stomach. She bowled over in indescribable agony.

“You’re going to change your mind about me, Buffy,” Lindsey said, punching her again before turning for the door. “I know you feel like I do.” He walked out and slammed the door behind him, and Buffy sank to the ground, crying and curling up.

‘I’ve got to do something,’ she thought, trying to ignore the pain. ‘This has to end.’ She got to a standing position and walked into her kitchen, grabbing the phone.

“Sunnydale Police Department,” a voice on the other line said. “How can I help you?”