Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for reviewing. Was starting to think everyone forgot about me. But I'm devoted, typing this one handed while holding a sleeping baby!
Chapter Ten

His Slayer was all muddled.

Spike sprawled out in an armchair, beyond grateful to have something more comfy to lounge about in than his trusty wheelchair, and watched the Slayer interact with her friends. The look on all their faces—but particularly the whelp’s—was priceless. The little redhead was shaking, letting one leg jig nervously as she almost sat in the other’s lap. The boy had grasped a stake and was staring at Spike, even as words were aimed at his friend.

“Are you okay, Buffster?” Mahogany eyes never left their surveillance of the bleached vamp, the one that had made no sudden moves since they’d gaily entered the Summer’s house and plonked down for a friendly get together. None since they’d both screamed and sat clinging to each other on recognising the vampire threat they’d been wary of before Angel departed the group.

“Good as gold. Why wouldn’t I be, Xan?” Buffy had a confused smile fluttering at her lips and it apparently did nothing to stop the pounding of the brunette’s heart.

“Holy Frijoles, you’ve a murderous rampaging vampire sitting in your mom’s favourite chair. I’m thinking there has to be something just a little wrong with this picture.”

Spike licked his lips and contemplated the boy, liking the way he shuddered in fear and the rapid pulse at his neck. Truth be told the steady rhythm of his blood was making Spike feel a tad peckish and he couldn’t tear his gaze away. He gulped even as he sat forward, watching the other one as he seemed to jump back and cover his throat with his hand.

“Make him stop looking at me like that, Buffy. Have you been turned? Have you tricked us here as vamp chow?”

Buffy looked horrified, finally noticing the rather severe attention Spike was paying to Xander’s neck.

“Hey, stop that!” She threw a couch cushion at his face and when he’d spluttered back to awareness it was to find a disappointed look on her face.

“I can’t bloody help it if the git’s fear is intoxicating. Get him to tone it down a notch or two.” His lip was pouty as he slumped back in the chair, his fingers stabbing at the stuffing of the cushion even as he felt himself fall into a sulk.

“You’re a vampire that’s threatened to kill us a number of times. Did you expect my friends to throw you a ‘get well soon’ party?” Buffy took incredulity to whole new levels.

“Well, no,” he admitted grudgingly. “But they could bloody wait and let you explain before assuming I’d turned you.”

He sounded offended, like it actually hurt him to have others think he’d be stupid or selfish enough to turn the Slayer. He may have killed a couple of them in his time—and that was out of sheer warrior equality—but to turn one, that was just playing unfair and with less braincells than Dru on a good day.

There was a ruckus at the door and in came an annoyed looking Giles, looking warily—but not even slightly surprised—at Spike before he found himself situated in another chair and waiting expectantly for the explanation he’d bailed on in the morning.

“I’ve thought about it hard, Buffy, and I feel quite certain that you can make this…situation have some sense about it. While I am completely thrown as to what it could be, I feel sure there must have been something to encourage your folly in kidnapping a vicious vampire that you’ve been trying to dust for months.”

Xander turned freaked out eyes from his more sober father-figure to the friend who’d saved his butt more often than not.

“You vampnapped Captain Peroxide?” He jumped to his feet, waving the stake haphazardly through the air. “Only one explanation for this kind of weirdness, G-man. She’s been seduced to the Dark Side.”

“And please let that be the only reference to obscenely tacky pop culture,” Giles muttered dryly, his hand seizing a hanky while the other plucked the glasses from his face and dimmed his view of the murderous cripple across from him.

Buffy seemed to just collapse on a vacant chair and sigh loudly. Some days it just wasn’t worth tearing yourself away from your newly gained vampire lover.

“Xander, sit. Put the stake down. While I’m sitting right here, Spike won’t be lunging for anyone’s throat. Will you, Spike?” The narrow-eyed look she gave him was enough of a warning and Spike rolled his eyes and slouched back in his chair.

“Yeah, ‘cause that wouldn’t be embarrassing. Try a launch and my legs’d buckle before I got one step from the chair. Boy probably tastes sour, anyway.”

Buffy leaned over and patted his hand happily, approval obvious in the ease of her muscles.

“As for the making sense of this action, ahh, not so much. Seriously, Giles, I even slept on it, and all I can say is, I went with gut instinct. Besides, what they were doing to him was way with the grossness. I wouldn’t want my worst enemy being treated like that.” Buffy looked at her friends and watcher and almost giggled at their look of astonishment.

“Hate to break it to ya, Buff, but he is your worst enemy.” Xander sat back, clearly confused about what was going on and who was sitting in his buddy’s living room. “What the frilly heck is going on here? We pluck random vamps out of cruel homes to show them a better life now? I am NO girl scout.”

“Whelp, you’re not even a boy scout.”

Xander spluttered and waved his hands wildly in the direction of Spike. “See? And now with the insults.”

“Ooh, scared are we?” Spike sneered and then suddenly looked abashed as Buffy’s seriously pissed off face broke through his preoccupation with ribbing the boy.

You so won’t be getting any if you don’t stop threatening my friends.

Spike jumped and stared wide-eyed as Buffy’s voice ripped through his head.

“You say something, pet?” He looked closely at the slight flush of her cheeks and wondered when he’d suddenly become a mind reader.

“No,” she said out loud and then suddenly looked scared as images of the both of them writhing around naked on her bed flashed behind her eyes.

Like what you see, luv? Spike smirked as her cheeks reddened further and locked away this new discovery. It certainly wasn’t a phenomena that he’d ever heard of between vamps, but then he’d never heard of a vampire being joined with a slayer before, either. No doubt about it, Spike loved being unique. He’d always suspected he wasn’t your average vampire, but this—as far as he was concerned—cemented him in the category of the Unusual Vampyre Hall of Fame.

It was almost funny—considering all the years he’d spent trying to live up to the shadow of Angelus and fulfil Dru’s expectations of the perfect vamp. Until this slayer had come along and completely taken over his mind.

When he finally managed to water down his thoughts a bit and looked up, it was to find four sets of eyes staring at him in horrified fascination.

“Y-you see yourself as an anomaly to your species?” Giles asked, watcherly interest already writing this strange encounter up in his mind.

“Did you knock his head a few times on the door when you brought him in, Buff?” Xander was staring at his friend with his mouth hanging open, finding it hard to reconcile the obscene statements from el weirdo vamp, and the fact that Buffy had invited death into her house.

“How long have you been thinking about me?” Buffy couldn’t quell the grin that was splashed all over her face. It was so weird, this thing that had happened between her and Spike. But it was so with the flattering that he’d thought of her. Though, now she thought about it, it was kinda creepy that he’d been so preoccupied with her.

“Well, yeah. Wanted to take out my third slayer, didn’t I?” Spike looked at them all like they’d been on a trip and left him behind. It was a good way to cover his embarrassment over opening his mouth and revealing things he hadn’t had the time to sort through yet.

It really shouldn’t have been a surprise to watch Buffy’s face drop, her hurt a wound he would never have expected to strike him so hard. He really was a git when he didn’t think things out first. Here he was, newly connected to this girl in a fundamental and supernatural way, and he was already pissing her off with not quite accurate tales of his pursuit. Sure, killing her had been the top of his list—it didn’t rule out the fact that every little aspect of her had intrigued him.

“Er, quite. Perhaps we should start thinking of the repercussions of this…rather foolhardy act. I know you probably don’t want to think of this right now, Buffy, but I believe we can expect Angelus to be rather resentful of our…poking amusement at his…hmmm—“

“Pecker?” Spike supplied and the three of them shared a short moment of amused solidarity as Angel’s short and puny appendage flashed through all their minds.

“Angel has a small penis?” Willow asked in confusion. “How did you manage to see that?”

“I don’t care. That is one sight I wish I’d been in on.”

They all stopped to stare at Xander, his friends at least hoping that he hadn’t quite caught the implication of what he’d just said. Indecision contorted his face before it completely screwed up in disgust. “Ewwww, so with the no freaking way, people. I just meant in the humiliation stakes. I mean, being dead would probably cramp the lifestyle a bit. For all we know, being vamped and all with the undead is just an unfortunate side effect.”

“That is so not true.” And Buffy was back to being the centre of attention to a very intrigued group of friends.

“Really?” Willow grinned as she struck upon some as yet unshared piece of best friend worthy information and decided that biding her time would only get her so far. Before she left this house, she’d be packing Buffy gossip like nobody’s business.

Buffy flushed crimson and turned frantically to Spike. He leered and looked her up and down, a sparkle of passion already warming his cold blue eyes.

“I’d say the Slayer has a pretty accurate idea of the package.”

“Oh dear Lord.” Giles slouched in his chair in escalating levels of despair and decided that as long as they implied no more, he could quite hopefully get through his day. “Please, let’s keep our minds on the danger at hand.”

Buffy finally looked worried and she moved to sit closer to her watcher.

“What do you think he’ll do, Giles?

Giles looked uncertain, opening his mouth and shutting it before words could pass his lips. “I suspect Spike might be able to enlighten us on that score.”

“Well, I am the Poof’s pet project. Without me there’s no one to torture and call anti-pc terms. Wanker likes to be able to one up others, and having me in a wheelchair didn’t do me any favours.”

“Oh, so that’s how you saw his…thing. You were helping him with the—“ Xander waved his hand around distastefully, almost glaring at Buffy. “Essentials.”

“What? Don’t be a git. I don’t need to get help for the ‘essentials’. Girl saw my bits in a much more satisfying way. If you’re needing instruction, just let me know.”

“For the love of—“ Giles was staring hard at the liquor cabinet and everyone was suddenly silent.

Spike resumed, sneering at the boy all the while. Stupid little whelp making him put his foot in it again and probably making Buffy more than reluctant to be near his ‘bits’ again any time in the near future. Anger leant him strength and he could feel a returning prickle through the nerves of his legs. Thoughts of Buffy lovin’ always kept his cock alive and throbbing, but the returning sting in his legs gave him hope that he might be able to drag himself upstairs. That positive image was enough to have him move this meeting along. It was beyond time the Slayer’s friends buggered off so he could get back to the things that concerned him.

“Right. Angelus is a bloody vindictive sod. He’ll find your weakness and play on it. Knowing how his mind works, my guess is he’ll come after one of you lot. Whoever is the closest to the Slayer.”

“Oh.” Buffy shuddered and glanced at Spike, fear reflected momentarily in her beautiful green eyes. “I am so glad my mom isn’t here.”

Something struck Spike, some kind of warning, but the meaning was obscure and he wasn’t quite up to deciphering this new propensity toward helping the Whitehats.

“So, I guess we should all stay indoors at night or make with the sleepovers,” Willow suggested hopefully.

“Not bloody likely,” Spike exploded, thoughts of naked slayer predominate in his mind.

Glares from all four of the other occupants made him wilt a little and he sat back with a pout.

“Right. Guess it’s a bloody party then.”