Author's Chapter Notes:
There is Drangelus and character death in this chapter. Please don't complain at the end if you don't like that. There is one more chapter and an epilogue left to go and then there will be a big green tick against finished for this fic...the relief will be huge. Thank you all so much for the support here recently. I hope you enjoy this chapter!! ~~ Megan
Chapter Twenty

He awoke gasping. As the world came into focus, it was the look of terror on Dru’s face that snapped him fully back to reality. He stopped the sickening human impulse and roared his distaste with a stream of vicious snarls of obscenity.

“What the fuck are you doing staring at me like that while I’m trying to sleep?”

He sat up, the blood red sheet slipping to his naked groin and showcasing his hard torso. He liked the shy way she looked at him, mixed with that dark seductive temptress that wanted him, no matter how he abused her. And more often than not, his cock was in charge of how much he forgave and gave it to her; but if there was one thing that really got on his nerves, it was waking up suddenly with her staring at him, face shadowed with the look of doom.

“All of Princess’s children have run away to live in the sun.” A swollen tear slid in exaggerated slowness down a pale cheek, but it only added to her ethereal beauty. “They want to hurt Daddy, too. Don’t let them take you back. Please?” Her miserable sniff did nothing to the hardness of his heart and he sighed in exasperation.

“You woke me up to tell me this crap that I already knew?” He was already desperate and he had this churning sensation in his gut that it was already out of his hands—that he was about to lose it all. There was no doubt that in the past his problem-solving skills had been innovative, but this seemed to be a unique situation. He could face down mobs baying for his blood, could escape burning barns even when deserted by his sire, and he could make any mortal writhe in excruciating emotional pain until their own end—but he couldn’t seem to come up with a plan that would succeed against a gypsy under slayer protection. They apparently strove for only one end—to keep his foul soul joined to his existence.

If only he’d been able to fucking kill the bitch and inflict a little torment on the watcher like he’d planned, life would be beyond sweet about now. All he could see through a hate-reddened haze was how they must all think him a fool—a figure of ridicule that threatened no danger to them at all. It made the rage burn right through him, made every part of him alert with purpose. He needed to prove to himself that he wasn’t what they thought—he was still dangerous, he meant more than the snickering fun they’d poked at his less than generous proportions. For that alone he should make them pay.

Except he knew deep inside that it was too late and they’d catch him before he had the chance. He felt like he was approaching his last meal, facing his last night in the world—like Jesus—before he was lost forever with only the imprint of his existence left floating in the air.

New eyes saw his childe. Dru, white and frightened and them both knowing that too soon she would face immortality alone. An unaccustomed rush of affection hit him and he opened his arms wide to receive her, not even feeling irritated that she was crying or acting childlike in her need for him. He kissed her forehead, a hand gently cupping a small breast and kneading it as he grieved. It wasn’t like him to give up, but he wasn’t going to fall so low as to look a fool in front of them. He wasn’t going to run around like a headless chicken for a solution that was unattainable.

Dru loved him irrevocably and the last time he’d lost her, it had been without warning. Once he’d changed, and degraded with a filthy conscience, he’d been unable to look at her and he’d lost so much with that. He had a chance here to make her remember the truth of him; make her pine forever for what he’d been to her. Daddy. And so he led her to his bed, to his body, felt her shudder in his arms as he made this time about her and how he was able to care for others, if not love them. He wasn’t Spike, but he could be fair. He could reward Dru for her years of devotion.

The soft kiss he bestowed on her unsuspecting lips was a gift. She looked at him in wonder, unprepared for this moment yet seizing and embracing it with her cold heart. It wasn’t the first time she’d been treated with affection—Spike often moved her in this way. But it meant so much more coming from one who never really had. Not with the darkness of his eyes shining in place of amber. There was sincerity there, and it shook her to her very depths.

“Oh,” she cried and she settled over his body with finality.

Understanding flashed in his eyes and at last a plan was formed. “Come with me, Dru? Let me protect you always?”

Her answer was to push him to his back and straddle him, moaning in despaired joy as the tip of his cock soothed her aching flesh. She rubbed her wet folds around him, gasping as she slid slowly down and took him in as shallowly inside as his length allowed. They stared into each other’s eyes, coloured irises merging with demon’s gold and she quickened her pace, feeling nothing but happiness that it was settled and he would be with her forever. His fingers scraped over pert nipples and he smiled at her, lips stretched by an emotion that was unfamiliar. Pleasant.

Right.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Buffy couldn’t force herself to go near her. Her mother was a broken woman, wailing on Giles’s carpet as she dealt with the death she had brought upon the families she’d known best in this pissant town.

She focused on Spike, so grateful that he was here, that he’d brought her mom to her. They had ground to cover, she had fences to mend, but God, she just hoped he could understand why she’d been hit at random by the guilt of releasing Angelus on the world. When their eyes clashed she was almost glad, even though he burned her with his uncertain rejection. She wished that reassuring him could be as simple as offending him had been. That she could just walk over to him, take him into her arms and kiss him senseless so that it was easy to drain the thoughts of earlier from his head.

His look of longing made her wonder why she’d thought it would be too hard. Why she allowed her brain to complicate everything up until she was too scared to take the risk. Her heart was too eager this time and before she’d engaged her brain her feet were on the move, and with tears in her eyes, she flung herself into his arms.

His embrace was tight and she could hear him swallowing hard, her wet face smashed into the column of his throat. He felt warm and essential and Buffy knew without any doubt she wouldn’t get through this reunion with her mother without him at her side. Her body shook with the tears she’d tried so hard to hold back, but being with him, being understood by him opened a dam that she’d never known she had blocked. Buffy clamped hold of a section of his throat with her teeth, her tongue teasing the flesh as she moaned her sadness against his skin. God, he was hers. She needed him so much and he was hers.

“I love you,” she said after a while of gentle rocking, succumbing to the safety of the hold when he didn’t lessen the strength in the band of his arms around her or let her go. “It was a shock earlier, to know it was my fault. But as soon as you walked out the door, I didn’t even care anymore. I only care about you. I love you.”

“Buffy,” he started, his voice tired and resigned, but as she pulled away and the fear was more than obvious on her face, he couldn’t hold onto the resentment that had him tearing out of there in the first place. “It’s all right, sweet. A bloke doesn’t react well to hearing about his girl’s first, and that your first was bloody Angel of all miserable creatures, it just hit too many weeping sores. Let’s not give the git too much power. All’s forgiven. Now get back here and snog until my lips bleed.”

There was immediate disappointment that he didn’t return the words, and Buffy struggled to hide her hurt and wondered just how over it he really was. But the promise of Spike lips was too much and she drifted closer until the barest brush of his mouth against hers had her breathing heavy with forgetting the pitfalls of their reunion. She felt a little part of her die as his tongue hesitantly sought contact with hers, burned to a crisp in a shock explosion of the power of her love. It was overwhelming, it was distracting and she was grateful for it. He tasted her mouth, swirled his tongue around hers and traced her teeth slowly as his hands clasped her head, fingers tangled in her hair. It was sensual to extremes and Buffy felt light headed and dizzy when at last he pulled away.

“You’re the one, Buffy,” he confirmed huskily, his hands still gently cupping her face and showering her with awe as her happy tears fell. “And I love you so much it hurts.”

“Oh.” She shuddered with happiness, the tears falling faster and heavier yet somehow making her fill with his strength. He had faith in her, he loved her so everything would be all right. Everything would work out whether she believed it could or not.

The door slamming behind a very excitable Giles had them jumping guiltily apart and taking notice again of what was happening in the room around them.

“I’ve got it!” Giles proclaimed, a similar orb to the one used earlier held aloft in his hand as he presented it with a flourish to Jenny. He wore a soppy, very pleased-with-himself grin and the couple were lost in that sweet moment of mutual admiration they’d momentarily lost with the emergence of Angelus.

“So we’re back on with the smelly herbs?” Xander seemed overly keen to grab up the brittle bunch of dried twigs and wave them in the air again and Giles smiled rather more accommodatingly than he’d been with the boy all year.

“I-if Jenny isn’t too tired?” Giles turned enquiring eyes to the swaying teacher who was quite obviously exhausted from her earlier efforts.

“I think we would all feel a lot safer if we just did this. And Willow is still here so she can help me.” Jenny smiled as the eager young would-be witch leapt forward, her enthusiasm almost blinding in the sombre atmosphere of the room.

“Absolutely. I can help with whatever is needing help. I’m all with the helpfulness. Just call me Helpful Willow.” And she grinned, all her teeth showing and exhausting the adults in one charged moment.

Buffy stepped forward, eyeing her mother warily as she continued to sob her pain, completely oblivious to her surroundings. It made her heart clench yet forced a realisation she wasn’t ready yet to face. Nothing was practical in this circumstance—she had no way of knowing how she could continue to be raised by a vampire, while she was a slayer.

“Do we need anything else besides the glowy orb thingy? Because if you need Angelus to be here, I’m thinking we need to change how we go about this.” There was worry in the crossed brows and arms, yet Jenny dispelled it all with a confident smile.

“No, Buffy. I can do it wherever he is. Another twenty minutes or so and it will all be over. We can all go back to normal.”

As one they turned to observe an inconsolable Joyce and wondered if life had ever been normal in the first place.

“What about Dru?” As much as she hated thinking of the skanky nutjob, they had to be alert to how she might react in this. Buffy chanced a look at Spike, relieved to see him not so torn up at the thought of what Dru’s undecided fate.

“Let’s just get the wanker back and then we’ll decide on Dru. Yeah?”

There was general agreement and then the process began again.

Buffy sat nervously by her mother and waited.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

He’d never allowed himself to know her sweetness. He’d spent his time corrupting it, making her twisted and insecure and he’d loved every small consequence of it. But the newness wasn’t disappointing. It seemed fitting, experiencing this when it was their last in this world. The last they would look into each other’s eyes and see a world that couldn’t handle them the way they were.

There was more out there—or at least, in a ‘there’ somewhere. There was Hell, and that was most likely the home they could never abandon once this night was through. He loved to watch her slide up and down on his cock, loved to see the pleasure he alone could give her as her sire. As the one she loved beyond all others, even her own childe.

There was silence between them now and he was mesmerised by the tears that had multiplied and fell without artifice. She was sad and it came from her heart. He allowed it this time, not having the thrill for punishment when he’d decided to not run but make sure they could never find him.

His orgasm approached slowly, building around each tormenting grunt from her throat, each excruciating clench of her muscles as she squeezed him into memory. “That’s it, baby. Fuck me hard, Dru. Show Daddy how perfect you are.” The words were harsh though his voice was low, and then the moment was reached. The tears dribbled off her chin as she climbed off him, leaving his cock standing and straining for release. With a move more violent than any that had occurred in the last ten minutes, Dru struck, tearing a chair to pieces despite her blurred vision. One long shattered spear of wood was held in her hands as she climbed back onto him, taking him back inside her slick tunnel as she caressed the wood and stared at him appealingly.

“The only way?” she asked, yet acceptance made her lower her eyes. She quickly spurred them back to completion, positioning the stick between them so a sharpened end rested against each of their blackened hearts.

And as the little death exploded within and gave them a moment of sexual bliss, Dru saw the gleam in his eye as she struck and slammed herself down on the stake, pushing it down as she exploded into eternity and her dust mingled with the scattered remains beneath her.

It was the only way.