Chapter 1


Buffy closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, smiling as the fresh smell of wintergreen flooded her senses. She could hear the water rushing in a nearby stream and she sighed contently as she opened her eyes.



"Its great, isn't it?"



"Its fantastic," Buffy smiled at her driver as he unloaded her bags from the trunk. "It's exactly what I need. No phone, no TV, no distraction, no Men!" She added, blushing slightly at the look on the drivers face. "Sorry," she mumbled.



The driver chuckled softly as he sat her last bag down before standing and looking toward the cabin. "Don't apologize," he grinned. "I'm sure whatever you've been dealing with will only be a bad memory by the time I come back up to get you."



"That's what I'm hoping," she smiled brightly.



"Now, if anything happens and you need emergency assistance there's a lock box in the inside closet of the bedroom," the driver told her as he lifted her bags and started toward the cabin with them. "Whatever you do, don't break into it unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't think you want four rangers, the highway patrol and the resort owner's up here because you broke a nail, now do you?"



"No, definitely not," Buffy laughed. "Believe me, there is nothing that would get me to call back down there and ruin my vacation."



"That a girl," the driver smiled after depositing the last of her bags just inside the door. "The cabinets are stocked just as you requested and everything you need has been provided."



"I hope so for what this is costing me," Buffy grinned.



"I'll second that," the driver smiled back. "Have a lovely vacation, Ms. Summers."



Buffy watched as the driver started the SUV and started back down the mountain. She smiled as she took in the surrounding scenery and listened as the wildlife stirred around her. She felt absolutely giddy as she turned and went back inside.



The cabin was more than perfect. High vaulted ceilings in rich dark wood hung invitingly over the upper loft where she could see the bedroom. Furnishings in dark oranges and reds adorned the entire room as she let her eyes scan the living area and her smile widened as she saw the large ornate fireplace and soft rugs and pillows that were scattered around.



Large picture windows that made up most of the outer walls brought the lush greenery of the outdoors right inside her little paradise and she smiled as she walked toward the sliding-glass doors that led to a small wooden deck and stepped outside. "Heaven," she sighed as she saw the stream that wound its way through the trees and trickled small waterfalls right below the deck.



With a large smile she turned, walking back inside before going to retrieve her bags. She had been waiting for almost six months for this vacation and she wasn't about to waste a minute of it. Carrying her bags up the stairs to the upper loft Buffy hurried and deposited her things on the floor. The attraction that led her to this particular cabin and had her spending half her life's saving came to mind and with a happy smile she grabbed a towel and set off to find the hot spring.



~~~~~~~~~~



"Enjoy your stay,"



Spike gave the driver a nod as he watched him pull away before picking up his bags and starting for the cabin. He made a mental note to thank his manager for picking such a secluded place for him to write as he stuck the key into the door.



The door opened easily and he shrugged at the idea of the cabins not being locked before he lifted his things and carried them inside. He couldn't help but smile as he took in his surroundings. It was everything the brochure said it was and more. He noticed quickly the lack of TV and even though he came to write and work on his music he wasn't sure how long it would take him before he went stir crazy with no outside noise other than that of nature.



Walking into the large Kitchen that sat off to the left, Spike made his way to the refrigerator and smiled as he opened it. "God bless you Curt," he grinned as he reached in and grabbed the imported beer he had specifically requested. Popping the top he closed his eyes as the cool liquid slide its way down his throat.



A contented sigh escaped him as he lifted his head before he carried his beer toward the living room. Grabbing his guitar on the way, he walked to the sofa that sat facing the large fireplace and opened the case before pulling the instrument out and taking a seat.



Laying his beer on the side table, his fingers leisurely strummed the chords out of the song he had been working on. The gently sounds of the stream outside lulled him into playing the soft melody that was almost as haunting as he felt. His life had been pure chaos and time away from the outside world was just what he needed. Sitting back he laid his guitar aside and stared into the unlit fireplace before leaning his head back and closing his eyes.



~~~~~~~~~~



Buffy didn't know how long she had been sitting in the hot spring and her body protested as she moved. She had never felt so relaxed. Every burden she had been carrying around seemed to melt away the longer she sat there and she wondered if she would ever want to leave.



She smiled as she saw small woodland creature scurry along the spring collecting their food and she closed her eyes as she leaned back against the rock that naturally sloped on the side of the spring. She wondered if it were truly a comfort of nature or one that was man-made to seem that way.



The entire area was like something from a dream. The steam from the spring lazily made its way into the air and the breeze that rustled the trees carried with it the scent of mountain laurel that fragranced the air. The strong smell of pine from the trees was everywhere and Buffy sighed at how perfect this all seemed. "My own little slice of paradise," she muttered sleepily to herself as she settled against the rock and let that demons that had chased her away from LA to the mountains of Colorado slip away. She had no doubt that by the time she left, her life would be different. She would be stronger and more confident and above all else, Angel Conner would be a distasteful memory she would soon forget.



~~~~~~~~~~



Spike didn't know how long he had been sleeping but upon opening his eyes saw that the sun was resting low over the mountain. The room was almost completely dark and a slight chill hung in the room. Standing slowly, he made his way to the large fireplace and began building up the wood to start a fire. Although he knew the days were quite comfortable, the nights could get cold, especially to someone who was use to the hot weather of southern California.



As the first flames began to dance and the wood began to pop and burn, Spike stood and went to his bags. Grabbing a few things he made his way to the door and the only thing about the cabin he didn't like, the outdoor plumbing.



~~~~~~~~~~



Buffy rushed in the front door, shivering as the cool mountain air stung her wet skin. The room was almost dark except for the light coming from the burning embers of the fireplace. She stopped just inside the door looking at the large fire blazing in the fireplace before looking around. Her brow scrunched up in confusion as she looked around before the warmth of the fire reached her. Walking quickly across the room to the fireplace, she smiled as she dropped her wet towel and warmed herself.



"Automatic fireplace," she smiled slightly as she hugged her arms around her waist trying to warm herself. "Gotta love this place," she said to herself before looking behind her and seeing the blanket draped across the back of the sofa. Turning, she walked toward the sofa and froze when the front door opened wide.



Spike stopped and blinked repeatedly when he saw her. She looked as surprised to see him as he was at seeing her and it only took him a minute to realize that there was a beautiful blonde standing in front of him wearing nothing but skin. With a growing smile, Spike leaned his head to the side, looking at her as she stood there with wide eyes staring back at him. "Well, hello there cutie."



Buffy's mouth slowly opened and her eyes widened further as she looked at him before she took a deep breath and screamed.