3 and 1/2 weeks had passed since that night at the Bronze, and they hadn't heard from Angel or Hank in all that time, though Buffy and William remained on their guard, not wanting to be taking by surprise. Buffy had gone back to work at the gallery, and William, with a little help from his pal Clem, was able to get his old job back working at the office. In all, things had been going very smoothly . . . . .




"Honey, I'm home!" William called out to Buffy, dropping his brief case on the couch and loosening his tie as he made his way toward the kitchen where he heard Buffy fumbling around. She was busy chopping vegetables, seasonings and various other ingredients spread across the counter in disarray. Her hair was pulled back in a messy bun as she scurried about the kitchen, working diligently. William leaned against the doorway, arms crossed over his chest as he watched her with an amused grin.

"Hey, you." She greeted, turning to face him. "You're home early. I was supposed to beautify myself and have dinner all ready for when you got home," She pouted.

William pushed himself off the doorway, stalking toward her with a mischeivous gleam in his eye.

"That so?" Eyebrow raised, he wrapped his arms around her waist as he spoke, gazing down into her face, "And what's the occasion?" He inquired, his hands inconspicuously sliding down over her hips, fingers moving in a gentle massage that continued to work downward until Buffy grabbed his hands in her own and took a step back.

"Hey, none of that." She scolded, though not very convincingly. "I have to finish making dinner first." Though she tilted her head upwards for a brief, chaste kiss before turning to once again busy herself with her task. "And the occasion," She continued, "Is that it's been exactly a month since you came home. I'd say that's cause for celebration."

William smiled. "I'd say so," He agreed, removing his tie over his head. "So how was your day, kitten?"

"Oh, same old. Well, actually Fred told me we got two shipments of Greek amphorae today when we were only supposed to get one . . . ." Will gave her a slightly puzzled look. "Don't ask," She said wryly, shaking her head.

"Sure thing, pet," Chuckling, he watched as she carefully placed a dish in the oven, turning to dry her hands on a dish cloth once she had finished.

"Now get over here and kiss me good and proper." Buffy rolled her eyes.

"Bossy, much?" Far more amused than annoyed. She immediately stepped toward him, but once she was within reach he surprised her by grabbing her hand and yanking her into his waiting arms, crushing his mouth to hers for a breathtaking kiss that made her feel almost dizzy with its intensity. He reached behind her head for the rubber band that held her hair in place, and yanked, letting her hair fall around her shoulders so he could weave his fingers through the silky strands. When he pushed his knee between her legs to force them slightly apart, and bent her backwards at the waist, she let out a slight yelp as she momentarily lost her balance. Though she knew William wouldn't let her fall. His strong arms caught her, wrapping tightly around her tiny waist and stablilizing her.

Buffy relaxed against him and responded with equal fervor, arms holding onto his neck for dear life as she let herself be momentarily swept up in the passion of his kiss. She loved the way his body molded against hers. He complemented her in every way - every kiss, every caress, the way his arms held her close to him . . . . at times it seemed like everything about him had been made with her in mind.

When his tongue moved over her bottom lip, she granted him entrance without hesitation. His lips were so soft and full, and his tongue was so . . . .

'Talented' was the first word that came to Buffy's mind, and heat spread throughout her body as she thought about the many things he could do with that tongue. . . . .

'Oh yeah,' Buffy thought as William tightened his arms around her, his mouth still working over hers masterfully, 'This is the life,'

When William broke away from the kiss and pulled her out of the dip so she stood up straight again, Buffy gasped in some much needed oxygen and stared at him with hazy eyes.

"Wow," She breathed, and he flashed his trademark smirk, "What was that for?"

Buffy casually played with the buttons of his shirt, face flushed and golden hair flowing loosely about her shoulders, and William thought she looked like a goddess. Glowing. Effulgent.

"You looked so incredibly sexy, slaving over my dinner I just couldn't help myself." He finally replied. Buffy smiled at him coquettishly

"And just think, you haven't even eaten yet."

With a Cheshire cat grin, William leaned in close so his lips were nearly touching her ear, "Oh, I will, darling," his voice came out a husky, seductive whisper, "I will."

*****************


Two days Later . . . . .



Riiiiiinnnng!!!!!!!

"Will, honey?" Buffy called from the next room, "Can you get that? I have paint all over my hands."

William, who had been in the kitchen making himself tea, grabbed the receiver from its cradle. "Hello?" He said.

Silence.

"Hello?" He tried again, now slightly irritated, and then he heard someone clearing their throat on the other end of the line.

"I need to speak with Buffy." Said a gruff voice, causing William to raise an eyebrow in suspicion. He thoroughly disliked this person's tone of voice

"Who is this?" He demanded.

"Her father."

William's blood immediately began to boil. His free hand clenched into a tight fist as he desperately wished it were possible to transport himself through the telephone line and beat the ponce to within an inch of his life.

"What the Hell do you want?" Spoken through gritted teeth.

Now Hank was growing impatient. "To speak with my daughter." William snorted loudly and, he hoped, obnoxiously.

"Oh, so now she's your daughter," William was obviously very unamused. "You know, you have a hell of a lot of nerve calling here. All this time and-"

"Just put her on the phone." Hank cut him off, his short fuse growing shorter by the second.

"Not gonna happen, mate." William declared, "She doesn't want to think you even exist, let alone talk to you." A loud sigh was his response, and William tapped his foot impatiently. "How did you even get this number?"

"I don't need to explain myself to you."

Now William really saw red. He sucked in a sharp breath, "What's your favorite color? What's your favorite song? Who's the goalkeeper for Manchester United? And how many times am I gonna kick in that overgrown head of yours if you don't tell me right soddin' now why you want to talk with my wife?" No response.

"I don't have time for your bullshit, Hank," He continued, "So if you don't want to find out the answer to that last one, I suggest you start talking." William was surprised to hear Hank chuckling at his tirade.

"You got spark, Billy. Gotta hand it to you," Brief pause, "Tell the bitch I called."

Click

When William heard the obnoxious busy signal in his ear, he hung up the phone, thoroughly angered, puzzled, and all but scratching his head over the strange phone call. Just then Buffy emerged from her little 'studio', drying her hands on a wash cloth as she tried to remove the remnants of paint, then pausing to untie her paint-splattered smock.

"Who was that?" She inquired.

William avoided her eyes for a moment, debating whether or not to tell her who had called. He knew he shouldn't lie to her, but yet he also didn't want to upset her unecessarily. Quickly, he made his decision.

"Clem," He responded, not daring to look her in the eye and risk her seeing the guilt apparent there. "It was Clem."

Buffy nodded, seeming to accept his explanation. "Oh. Did you tell him I said hi?"

William managed to force a tight smile on his face. "Of course, kitten."

"Good. Clem's a sweet guy."

She really liked Clem, as he was always pleasant to talk with, and had always been a good friend to William.

"Yeah," William muttered as Buffy walked past him, pausing to give him a peck on the cheek before she disappeared into the bathroom.

'Unlike me,' He thought guiltily.

************


Later that night, William lay in bed beside Buffy. Her arm was strewn across his waist, head pillowed against his chest, and she looked peaceful, content. William waited until he was sure she was asleep, feeling the steady rising and falling of her breathing against him, her warm breath lightly tickling his chest as she exhaled through her nose. He gently extracted himself from her grip and climbed out of bed as quietly as he could so as not to wake her. He tip-toed into the living room and picked up the phone, dailing a number he knew by heart.

"Hello?" Said a groggy voice.

"Clem," Will whispered, "It's me,"

Clem yawned audibly from the other end of the line. "Oh, hey buddy." He responded, "Kinda late, huh?"

"Sorry, mate," William apologized, "But I have a favor to ask you,"

"Shoot."

"I need to leave town tomorrow, for a day or two," William paused when he heard a small noise, placing a hand over the reciever as he peered across the dark room to make sure Buffy wasn't awake and listening to his conversation. Straining his ears, he heard nothing more, and continued, "I really need you to keep a close eye on Buffy while I'm gone. Keep tabs on who goes into the building, and who leaves for that matter, and if anything looks out of the ordinary, call me. . . . .Err, call the police first, then me. Just make sure Buffy stays safe."

Clem hesitated, obviously a little confused. "Sure," He finally responded, and William was grateful to have such a loyal friend. Clem was the one person whom William had filled in about the whole situation, since he trusted him with his life, and what's more, with Buffy's. "But Buffy's a smart gal," Clem continued, "I think she'll notice you've gone MIA for a couple days."

William sighed loudly, hating the fact that he had to once again lie to her. "I told her I needed to go to a seminar for my job," He explained, not proud of himself in the least.

"Ah, I see. And where are you really going?"

Letting out a long breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, William responded. "Wolfram and Hart."






A/N: A bit of the dialogue in this chapter was taken from AtS. And Buffy also mentions Fred, who she works with at the gallery (just to clear that up, lol)

Ok, so William intends to go to Wolfram and Hart and get the bottom of the whole Hank/Angel thing. Is he acting a little rash? Maybe. Will Buffy find out about what he intends to do? Possibly . . . . . All I can promise is that we'll be getting our confrontation very, very soon (with both Hank and Angel) . . . .

And sorry this chapter jumps around a bit, but I needed a little time to pass in the story before the actual confrontation, since before William had only been back for 3 or 4 days.

And thanks so much for all the great reviews! Caitie, Kimber, Sevvy_O, jenny, ace, PK, shelly, BuffyandSpikeForever, dreamgirl4eva, Spuffy6, Bint, and Brat