Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to: Sevvy_O, BuffyandSpikeForever, shelly, ace, Brat, Caitie, PK, & Bint for all the great reviews! :-)
By the time Buffy had left Willow's and returned to her and William's apartment, it was well past midnight. But, deciding she couldn't wait any longer to resolve things between them, she went anyway, fishing for her keys with sweaty palms. Her heart pounded loudly in her ears, and she realized, she was... nervous? She'd been married to the man for how long, known him even longer than that, and now she was nervous? Though Buffy realized without a doubt that the anxiety wasn't unfounded, knowing the inevitable conversation would most certainly become a turning point in their relationship.

Turning the key in the knob and gently pushing the door open, Buffy gulped when she saw the soft glow of lamp light bathing the living room, an indication that William was still awake. Buffy closed the door behind her quietly and crept forward, her breath catching in her throat when she saw William sprawled across the couch, his eyes closed, head lolled to one side.

What Buffy saw next, however, made her heart sink.

Heaped around William's feet were at least half a dozen empty beer cans.

Buffy clamped a hand over her mouth and shook her head slowly.

'Oh God, no. What have I done?' Was her only thought.

Tip-toeing closer to his passed out form, Buffy accidentally kicked right into a stray can, the noise inadvertantly jolting William awake as he sat upright on the couch and looked around in confusion. He squinted his eyes.

"Buffy?" He said groggily, sleep and disbelief making it hard for him to process the current situation.

"William," She said softly, sorrowfully. "I'm sorry. God, I'm so sorry."

Hearing her tone of voice, William stood up such that he was directly in front of her, looking down at her with questioning eyes.

"'M sorry, too," He slurred, grogginess still thick in his throat.

Buffy shook her head. "No, I, I...." But upon catching the glint of an aluminum can out of the corner of her good eye, her mood instantly changed, a fierce combination of anger and sadness.

"How could you?" She sobbed, practically a hiccup as her face grew bright red with frustration. "How could you do this to yourself? To us?!" Raking a hand through her hair, tugging on it absentmindedly as she continued. "You... I was coming back, you know! You didn't have to do this!"

William was now thoroughly confused, and he raised an eyebrow in question. "Do wha-"

But once again he was cut off.

"No, you, you JERK!" She gave him a firm shove to punctuate her words, and he staggered back a couple steps, completely caught off guard. He was stunned, powerless to watch Buffy continue with her tirade, her small shoulders shaking with the sobs she tried to swallow back.

"I was coming back!" She repeated, her voice raised to almost a shout. "Why? Why did you have to do it?" Her voice wavered slightly. "I love you, and, and just when we can finally work on starting a new life together you have to go and do something stupid, and you're gonna have to leave me again!" Tears streamed down her face as she continued, William watching the whole time in stunned silence. She shook her head. "You know what happened the last time with the alcohol... You're gonna have to leave me again..." As her voice trailed off, realization suddenly dawned on William. She'd seen the cans. And, naturally, she'd assumed the former alcoholic was boozing again in light of the recent events. She was afraid he'd have to return to rehab and leave her again.

"Buffy-"

"Damn you, William!" She pounded a small fist against his chest, weakly, sobbing all the while. "Damn you-"

"Buffy!" This time he got her attention, grabbing her by the shoulders and forcing her to remain still. Her shoulders slumped, exhausted from the outburst, and she refused to look at him, her eyes glued to a fixed point on his chest.

"Look at me." he said, as a parent would to a child. When she still refused, he grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him, making sure he had her undivided attention before he spoke.

"Buffy, I'm not drinking again."

"Then what's-" Will hushed her, smirking as he pressed a finger to her lips.

"Not beer cans, luv. It's Red Bull. I was trying to stay awake."

Buffy's eyes widened. "Oh." Sniffling, she suddenly felt incredibly embarrassed by her outburst, though relief flooded her system at the thought that he wasn't drinking again. Opening her mouth to speak again, William clamped a hand over her mouth to silence her.

"You had your turn. I think I should have the mic for a bit," He said calmly, evenly.

Buffy simply nodded, and he lowered his hand.

"Shouldn't be so quick to doubt me, pet. After all our relationship has been through, do you honestly think I'd do something that stupid to fuck things up?" His tone was firm, but not harsh.

Buffy lowered her eyes, her fingers absentmindedly towing with the hem of his shirt. "I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry." She bit her lip, forcing back another wave of tears. "I was just so afraid of losing you again."

William's face softened at this.

"Hey," He hooked a finger under her chin and gently lifted her head again, his bright blue eyes searching hers. "I'm sorry I lied to you about the accident. But please believe I was only doing what I thought necessary to protect you." The corners of her mouth turned up in the faintest hint of a smile.

"I know that now. And I'm sorry too." William nodded at her words and, unable to resist any longer, he pulled her to him, holding her head with one hand while his other arm wrapped tightly about her waist.


"Good, because you're not getting rid of me," He said into her hair, his mouth just resting against the side of her head. "I love you. You're my whole world, and-" He sighed loudly. "Things have been a bloody nightmare lately, but I want this to work between us. And I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

"Me, too." Buffy whispered as she slumped against him, feeling right at home in his arms. She nestled her head against the side of his neck and sighed in contentment, hooking her arms tighter around his waist.

They just stood there for several minutes, holding each other, and neither was sure quite when the mood changed, but Buffy guessed it was around the time she felt a telltale something poking into her abdomen. Instantly, she felt her body temperature rise, heat coursing throughout her veins as she looked up at William with a knowing smile, noticing his eyes were dark and glazed over with pure lust.

Buffy arched a brow. "Does little Spikey want to come out and play?" She teased, batting her lashes at him coquettishly. He practically growled at her in response.

"Little?!" He bent down until he was at eye level with her, the look on his face making her weak in the knees. "I'll show you little!"

Buffy squealed as she was suddenly lifted off the ground, thrown over William's shoulder in a fireman's carry.

"Sweetheart, you're about to get Spiked," Pinching her bottom lightly as he said those words. Even as she slapped his back in a weak protest, she felt a sudden flood of moisture between her legs at the thought of what he might do to her.

William carried her to the bedroom, and the second her back hit the mattress, he was on top of her, covering her body with his own and plundering her mouth with a greedy tongue. Buffy in turn gave herself to him eagerly, twining her fingers in his hair, wanting to feel him on top of her, inside of her, surrounding her.

As their tongues collided, William's hands moved up and down the sides of Buffy's body in a gentle caress, and when she suddenly felt him fumbling with the clasp of her jeans, she bent her leg at the knee to allow him better access. Pushing his hand under the denim, he moved her panties aside and slid his fingers into her moist folds without further hesitation.

She hissed in pleasure, and he pulled back slightly to watch her face, to see what his talented fingers were doing to her. He watched as she threw her head back, rolling it from side to side in time with the movement of William’s hand. And when he slid two long fingers deep inside of her, emerald eyes flew open on a pleasantly startled gasp.

“Oh!” She cried. But suddenly, she was reaching for him, urging him to halt his ministrations.

“Too many clothes,” She sputtered, and William nodded in agreement.

They frantically tore at each other’s clothes and in record time, the offending articles were carelessly strewn in a heap on the floor.

William took a moment to stare at her, take in every last inch of her slender form, the soft curves of her body, golden hair, smooth skin.

“Beautiful,” He whispered.

Buffy pulled him to her for another deep, passionate kiss, breasts smashed against William’s chest and the direct skin-to-skin contact feeling too good for words as the heat crept through her.

William broke off the kiss once again and quickly slid down the length of her body, wasting no time as he forced her thighs apart and plunged his tongue inside her silken folds. He stroked teasingly at first, feather light, then with more vigor as he came into direct contact with her most sensitive area. This was all the encouragement Buffy needed, and she was sent spiraling over the edge before she even knew what hit her. Stars exploded behind her eyes as she cried out in pleasure. Her back arched off the bed, hands fisted tightly in the sheets and when she finally came back down from her high, the first thing she saw was William watching her intently with lust-filled eyes.

Buffy grinned at him when she finally regained the ability to speak. “My turn,” She said, fully intending to return the favor.

“No,” He shook his head. “Just need to be inside you.”

Buffy nodded with understanding, knowing the feeling. She wanted it just as badly.

“Turn on your side,” He ordered, his voice raspy and hoarse, and Buffy was powerless to do anything but obey. She flipped onto her right side.

Without another word, William scooted in closer to her until their bodies were fully aligned, his chest pressed against her back in a spooning position. He grabbed her left leg behind the knee and lifted it slightly, draping it over his hip and further opening her body to him. Then, in a torturously slow motion, he guided his erection inside her tight channel, grunting as her heat consumed him.

Buffy mewled and whimpered as he continued to stretch her in the most delicious ways, sliding up and up for what felt like an eternity before finally, finally, he was fully embedded inside of her, his hardened length in so deep she could feel him pressing against the entrance to her womb. Her eyes squeezed shut, chest heaving as she panted like someone who had just run a marathon.

When she felt warm breath tickling her ear, her eyes fluttered open.

“I love being inside you,” William whispered, voice low and seductive as his lips brushed the shell of her ear, “There’s no place else I’d rather be.”

Then, with those words, he began to move at a steady, almost teasing pace that made Buffy whimper with longing. All the way in, inch by inch and agonizingly slow, then all the way out.

Buffy felt the heat curl in her belly until intense desire took over, making William’s simple torment seem like cruel and unusual punishment.

“Harder, William,” She demanded, “Faster.” And William obliged, plunging in and out of her throbbing center with wild abandon. Buffy bucked her hips back against William in response to his every thrust, the sound of flesh smacking flesh echoing in the bedroom and intermingling with their pants and moans.

“Fuck…” William groaned as he felt himself near his limit. He drove into her even harder still, desperate for release.

“Will – Oh, God…”

With one last thrust, as deep as he could possibly go, he emptied himself inside of her and when he bit down on her neck with blunt teeth, she came with him, crying out quite possibly the greatest pleasure she had ever felt. And it wasn’t just physical pleasure, but also the pleasure of knowing she was safe, and loved, and happy. And no one could ever take that away from her again.

When her orgasm finally started to subside, she brought a hand up to twine in his platinum curls and pull him to her, turning her head to capture his lips in another kiss. Until once again, she needed to pull back and catch her breath.

“Did I ever mention how much I love you?” William said breathlessly, combing his fingers through her golden tresses as he brushed the hair out of her face. He pressed a light kiss to her neck over the fading indentations from his teeth.

Buffy giggled. “Once or twice,” She answered, feeling giddy.

Extracting himself from within her depths, he almost groaned at the loss of contact. However, he managed a genuine smile when she flipped over on her other side to face him, propping her head up on her hand. He was pleased to see how her emerald eyes seemed to sparkle with happiness inside the darkness of the room.

“Love you,” She said, bending down to brush a kiss across his forehead. When she pulled back, William looked up at her.

“This is it, you and me. No going back this time,” He told her, raising an eyebrow as a smirk formed on his lips. “Think you can handle it, luv?”

“Oh, I’ll manage,” Buffy teased, suddenly yawning as she realized just how incredibly tired she was. Resting her head on William’s chest, she threw her arm across his stomach, fingers tracing the hard lines of his abdomen as he tightened his arm around her. With a contented sigh, Buffy closed her eyes and was just about to drift off to sleep when she realized something.

“Will?”

“Hmm?” He responded sleepily, his eyes still closed.

“Why were you trying to stay awake earlier? … You know, the Red Bull?”

His eyes flew open, though she couldn’t read his expression in the dark. “Oh, that... I was, uh, trying to write you a poem,”

Buffy smiled in the dark. “Aww, that’s sweet. Can you read it to me?”

William shifted slightly. “It’s not that good… I feel like a ponce, really…”

“Oh, come on,” Buffy encouraged. “Please?”

At her pleading tone, William finally caved. “Fine. But no laughing.”

Clearing his throat, he began to speak in his low, sexy tone….

“My heart expands…”


TBC…

A/N: Hehe, I couldn’t help using William’s poem in there. Cheesy maybe, but I thought it fitting, lol. So, hopefully you all enjoyed the “make-up” scene. Again, sex scenes aren’t really my forte, but hopefully that was steamy enough for ya, lol. Well, I’m sad to say this fic is almost at an end, just one more chapter plus an epilogue. Thanks so much to everyone who’s been reading the story, and for all the great reviews! They made me feel a lot better :-)