Flashback (October, one year earlier)

Buffy attempted to snuggle up to William’s chest, frustrated that her efforts were thwarted by the huge bump of her stomach. William gave her an amused smirk as he watched her shuffle on the bed, trying to get as close as possible with little success. She threw him an accusing glare. “You better not be laughing at me, mister!”

He chuckled and dropped a light kiss on her forehead. “Wouldn’t dream of it, luv. I just don’t think little Dawn would fancy being crushed between her parents during a shag fest.”

“Hey, who said anything about shagging” She raised an eyebrow at him innocently, a slightly coquettish smile playing upon her full pink lips. He growled at that and buried his face in her neck, lightly nipping and licking at her heated skin while she giggled, thoroughly enjoying being ravaged by her husband. But then she paused, her eyebrows knitting together in confusion. “Wait, Dawn?” She inquired.

He lifted his head to meet her gaze, looking slightly sheepish.

“Well, since it’s a girl and we never really decided on a name, I thought we could call her Dawn. Mum suggested it, actually. Was my aunt’s name, ‘n I was really close to her. A strong, kind, and wonderful woman.” He paused, “Like you, pet.” Buffy held his gaze and smiled, feeling as though she was drowning in the depths of his eyes that shined with such love for her she thought she would melt under the intensity.

“Dawn,” She said, testing how the name felt rolling off her tongue, “I like that. We’ll call her Dawn.”

“Yeah?” He smiled brightly at her.

“Yeah,” She nodded, before playfully trailing a finger down his chest and biting her lip suggestively. “Now, about that shag-fest –“ But before William could respond the shrill ring of the phone interrupted their morning festivities.

“Bloody ‘ell,” He grumbled, “It’s soddin’ 8:00 on a Saturday morning. This better be good.” He reached for the phone beside the bed, yanking it angrily from its receiver. “Hello”, He said gruffly.

Buffy scooted back into the pillows, trying to read her husband’s expression as he chatted on the phone. He sat up straight in bed as he listened to some clearly interesting news on the other end of the line. Buffy could only hear his end of the conversation. “They did what? . . . . .what d’ya mean it didn’t go through? . . . .who’s training these idiots anyway? . . . . So, fix it! . . . .* loud sigh * So you need me to come in and clean things up then. Bloody brilliant . . . . Fine then. I’ll be there in a bit. Ta’”

William shook his head, clearly irritated, before turning to face his pouting wife. “Sorry Kitten. Gotta go in to the office today. Apparently some bleedin’ amateurs screwed things up pretty bad, so o’ course it’s up to me to fix things.” Buffy mock pouted, crossing her arms in amusement as she listened to his rant. “Long story, pet. I’ll explain it all when I get back.”

Buffy nodded, and he dropped a chaste kiss on her lips before getting up to shower and dress. Buffy relaxed into the pillows, still worn out from their night of love making. She was afraid at first that he would find her growing stomach unattractive, but it only seemed to turn him on even more, and hey, she certainly wasn’t complaining.

Some time later, a freshly showered and half dressed William appeared, pulling on his blue shirt and doing up the buttons as he entered their bedroom.

“Mum’s coming over to stay with you today.” He said. His mother, Jenny, was always coming over to help with something. She was a very kind woman, and Buffy thought she was a lot like her own mother, Joyce, who had passed away just five years ago.

Buffy sighed, “William, I’ll be fine. You’re only gonna be at the office a few hours. I’m a big girl.”

“I know, kitten.” He smiled at her and sat beside her on the bed as he twined his fingers through her hair and caressed her cheek. “I know you can take care of yourself, but you’re well into your 8th month and you can pop at any time for all we know. I’d just feel better having someone here with you in case something happens, ok?” Buffy nodded.

“Ok, sweetie. If it’ll make you feel better.” She complied. William rested his free hand on top of her bump, stroking small loving circles.

“It will,” He said softly, bending down to place a soft kiss on her growing stomach. Then he sat back up to meet Buffy’s gaze. “I told mum to bring you some breakfast so no need to go rummaging around the kitchen yourself. Too many sharp, pointy objects lying about. Bloody dangerous,” He mumbled. “And if you need anything, and I mean anything, you call me, alright?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, though a smile played upon her lips the whole time. He had been so protective during the pregnancy, never letting her pick up anything he deemed too heavy, (which often times included anything more than a pillow), insisting that she held onto him whenever she had to climb any stairs, and he waited on her hand and foot. Not that she objected to being pampered, but oftentimes he looked at her as though she would shatter into little pieces, and she knew she was perfectly capable to do things on her own. But he insisted, and she loved him all the more for it.

“Alright Will. I’ll call.” She agreed, wrapping her arms around his neck, “Now go have your fun at work.” William snorted.

“Fun, Ha bloody Ha pet, that’s a good one.” He grumbled sarcastically. “’Sides, I’d much rather be here with you and the nibblet.” Buffy smiled.

“I know,” She stroked the back of his neck, “So off to work with you. The quicker you’re done there the quicker you can get back here and – “ she leaned forward to bite his ear lobe gently, “We’ll talk about that shag-fest.” William leaned back and raised an eyebrow.

“I’m gonna hold ya to that one, Goldilocks,” She met his gaze then, dropping a light kiss on his lips.

“I love you,” She said.

He grinned back at her. No matter how many times she said it he never got tired of hearing those three magical words. “Love you too, Pet.” He returned, kissing the tip of her nose, then her forehead before standing up. “Well I better be off, before I say ‘sod the job’ and instead choose to shag you senseless all morning.” Buffy laughed whole-heartedly, feeling happier in that moment than she had ever felt in her life.

She was on top of the world.


A/N I know this update is short, but I wanted to have a strictly happy, fluffy chapter before I get into more angst. Consider this the calm before the storm. *Insert evil laugh* But I promise, next chapter you'll find out what happened to them (though there's quite a lot to tell) Anyway, hope you like the story so far.

And special thanks to Stace, Caitie, BuffyandSpikeForever, Dee, Brat, and songgal1 for your reviews :)