William and Buffy laid in silence as they basked in the afterglow of their ecstasy, still attempting to recover. Buffy’s left hand traced lazy circles over William’s flat stomach, her head tucked neatly under his chin, ear pressed against his muscular chest as she listened to his heartbeat. William sighed with contentment and wrapped his arm tighter around her back as she nuzzled her cheek against him, snuggling further into his warmth. He gently moved his hand up and down her arm in a soothing caress and tangled his fingers in the silky blond hair that fell around her shoulders.

“Well,” Buffy finally broke the silence, “That, was –“ She paused, searching for a fitting word.

“A bloody revelation,” William finished for her, his voice slightly hoarse. Buffy rolled her eyes and chuckled.

“Well, I was gonna say amazing.” She paused, “But yours is good, too. I suppose”

He laughed at that, causing Buffy’s head to bounce slightly up and down on his chest. She rolled on top of him, straddling his waist and pinning his wrists with her hands so she could lean forward and look down into his face.

“And what, might I ask, is so funny?” She demanded, arching an eyebrow in amusement.

William’s laughter faded as he marveled at the beauty of the woman sitting astride him, her hair cascading about her shoulders and big emerald eyes shining with glee and mischief. Unable to resist, he freed one of his wrists from her grasp, reaching up to tuck a lock of blond hair behind her ear.

“Nothing,” he finally responded, “Just happy to be back here, with you.”

Buffy smiled down at him, and as she gazed into those intense blue eyes, she couldn’t help but notice how they seemed to shine back at her. A wave of warmth and contentment washed over her as she realized the spark that had been missing when he first arrived was now back. ‘I gave him that,’ Buffy thought to herself in amazement. She was jolted from her reverie when William propped himself up on his elbows and caught her mouth in a feather light kiss, applying barely any pressure, his lips warm and moist as they brushed against hers. Taken by surprise, a soft mewling sound escaped her throat, and her lips seemed to respond of their own volition, as though it were the most natural thing in the world. Her eyelids fluttered shut as she lost herself in the moment.

This wasn’t a lustful, or passionate kiss. It was tender, and lazy, as though they had all the time in the world. It was a kiss that spoke of only one thing: love.

After countless moments of merely lingering on each other’s lips, Buffy broke away and leaned back, her expression unreadable as she rolled off of him and sat upright in bed. William instantly noticed the change in her mood and pulled himself to a sitting position beside her, looking at her questioningly.

“What’s wrong, kitten?” He inquired, eyebrows knitted together in curiosity.

Buffy briefly met his gaze before turning her head away again. She worried her bottom lip between her teeth for a several moments, then let out a soft sigh and began speaking. “We can’t do this, Will.”

William’s heart sank as he heard those words, instantly dreading what she would say next, praying she hadn’t changed her mind about wanting to work things out with him.

“It’s not what you think,” She quickly assured him, and he relaxed a little. “I still want to be with you, Will. I want this to work . . . . But we can’t just jump back into bed with each other, like this,” She gestured between the two of them, “And think that all our problems are solved. We need to take things slower, Will. There’s still a lot that we need to figure out, and I don’t want to mess this up by doing everything too fast.” She looked at William to see his response, and he nodded slowly in comprehension.

“Ok, we can take things slow,” He agreed, “One step at a time.” He fell silent then, contemplating.

“Why don’t we start over?” Buffy turned to face him.

“Start Over?” William nodded.

“From the beginning. We could do things over. You know, start with the first date and work our way up from there.” He took her hand in his and met her gaze, “I love you, Buffy. And if you want to take this slow, then we will. We’ll start over, with a clean slate, and we’ll do everything right this time.” He planted a kiss on the inside of her wrist before continuing, “We can even get remarried, with the nice wedding you always wanted. Not another Vegas quickie like we had before.”

Buffy smiled brightly at him. “I like that idea.” She said. Suddenly, her eyes lit up and she bounded out of bed, running to the bathroom and closing the door behind her before William even had a chance to respond. Confused, he searched for his jeans and quickly pulled them on, walking to the bathroom door and knocking lightly on the hard wood.

“Um, Buffy?” He called, “What are you doing?”

The door creaked open, a blond head peeking out with a mischievous smile playing upon her lips. “I’m getting ready for our first date,” She answered matter-of-factly, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. William raised an eyebrow, amused by her playful antics.

“Is that so?”

She grinned innocently at him, “Yep. Pick me up at 6, then?”

“Bossy little chit,” He muttered, teasing her, which prompted Buffy to stick out her tongue at him.

“You know you love it.” He chuckled softly.

“Yeah, I do.” Her smile faded as he hooked a finger under her chin and leaned in to place a chaste kiss on her lips. After a moment, she put her hands to his chest and lightly pushed him away, wagging an accusatory finger at him.

“Hey! No smoochies before the first date!” He stuck out his lip in a pout.

“Fine,” He said. “Be ready at 6 then – and no questions about where we’re going either,” He smirked, waggling his eyebrows coyly at her, “It’s a surprise.”

William managed to steal one more brief kiss before she had to practically shove him out the door. After he successfully located the rest of his clothes, he finished dressing and left the apartment, descending the stairs two at a time as he made his way over to his black DeSoto. He was staying with Clem for the time being, because he had known that him and Buffy probably wouldn’t start living together again right away. A huge grin was plastered on his face as he hopped in the car and turned the ignition, humming along to the Sex Pistols and feeling happier than he had been in months. Things were going far better than he had ever imagined they would.

In his excitement, William failed to notice the shadowy figure concealed around the corner of the building, watching him intently as the black car rolled past.

‘Soon,’ the stranger thought, eyes glowing like embers in the darkness cast from the shadow of the building, before turning and disappearing from view.

‘Very soon’





A/N Didn’t think it would be that easy, did ya? Sorry, but I had to have at least one cliffhanger, lol. Anyway, I’m so glad you guys like the story so far, and that you think what I’m writing is realistic. The reviews for the last chapter were great – keep ‘em coming! Tomorrow is my birthday, so my weekend will probably be busy with little time to update, but I’ll try my hardest.

Special thanks to Bint, dreamgirl4eva, Kimber, melissa, Sevvy_O, Caitie, Brat, and BuffyandSpikeForever for your reviews. I love reading them! J