Car Trouble 5, The Race – by the Kings of Mercia

Disclaimer – we own nothing it’s just for fun.

Dedicated to those two ~HOT~ Chicks, Patty and Jen!


Chapter 1

For six days and nights Spike worked on his Desoto. He cleaned oiled and greased, changed filters, welded a roll bar on the inside of the car installed a V8 engine.

Spike had the hood up, but was sitting inside the car, in the garage, revving it up, when Buffy wandered in.

“Sounds amazing!” She had to shout above the noise

“It is!” Spike stopped revving and let it idle

“So, do I want to know where you got this new engine from?”

“Um…not really” Spike smiled, and Buffy arched a brow at him. Spike rolled his eyes – there was something about the way she looked at him sometimes, and he just had to either give in to her wishes or tell her the truth, it was unnerving!

“Police pound. There was this old Cadillac see, and –“

“SPIKE!”

“What? – It was already up on bricks coz somebody had taken the wheels, and it’s racked up zillions in fines, it’s been there over nine months, in fact, it owes more in fines than the car is worth, it was going to the crusher anyway! Clem and I had it away in minutes, nobody saw us, nobody was bothered!
Did you get the race application form?”

“Yup, I’ve filled the one bit in, all you’ve got to do is fill in your full name, and sign it. Oh, and we’ve got to say what charity we’ll be donating the prize money to”

“Okay. How about the William the Bloody’s B.A.F.F charity!”

“B.A.F.F? What’s that?”

“My Booze And Fags Fund!”

“Oh ha-ha! No seriously Spike, we can halve the donation between two charity’s if you want, I’ve already chosen mine”

“What have you picked?”

“Well, the hospital where mom was, the Lacey Memorial, they need a new scanner, so I thought I’d choose that”

“Great, yeah that’s fine. I liked your mum, put it down then”

“Really?” Spike got out of the car and put the hood down.

“Sure really. Wanna come for a spin?” Spike grinned and nodded towards the car.

Buffy smiled and nodded.

“I’ll just go lock up”

************


“………So I thought we could donate the prize money to Gunn’s brother, to his drop in centre and refuge” Angel said

“Oh no! I’ve already put down the Inner City Garden Scheme – you know, where there can be plants put around streetlights, and on traffic islands, and a small fountain in the park” Cordelia said

Angel frowned

“Isn’t that the Mayor’s pet project?”

“Uh huh”

“And isn’t he the one handing out the prizes at the end of the race?”

“Hmm, think so, not sure” Cordelia said from behind her magazine, mentally crossing her fingers because she knew very well it was.

“Well, don’t you think that’s a bit obvious?”

Cordelia dropped the magazine and said,

“Obvious?”

“Like you’re sucking up to him, choosing his scheme, it’s hardly a worthy cause?”

“No, well *I* hadn’t thought about it like that – and it IS worthy, something nice to look at while out shopping!” Cordelia fibbed, she’d do ANYTHING to get into the society pages of the magazines and newspapers, and a big photograph with her giving the mayor a cheque for $10,000 would surely get her somewhere!

In the end, Angel knew better than to argue, so he just shrugged and started opening his correspondence.

*************


“Wow! The power when you pulled away from the traffic lights – it’s amazing!”

Buffy said grinning. They were back home after taking the car for a fast drive.

“I know, 160 brake horse-power, at 3800 rpm! The five main bearings have – what?”

“Too much info there for me Spike, I wouldn’t know what a R, P what was?”

“Rpm, it means revs per minute”

“As long as it works, and will get us around the race course, that’s all I want to know. Oh, hey, Xander” her friend wandered into the garage.

“Mind if I go have a shower?” Spike said, plainly ignoring the ‘whelp’ as he called Xander, who’d made his thoughts on Buffy doing the race with Spike clearly obvious that he didn’t approve.

“Sure, go on up, towels are in the cupboard”

“So…still going ahead with this hair-brained scheme I take it then?” Xander slowly walked around the clean, newly decaled Desoto. He lightly tapped one of the tyres with his foot.

Buffy crossed her arms and said a little wearily,

“Yes, Xander – and I’d appreciate it if we don’t have to have this conversation again, I’ve told you, it’s for charity and it’ll be fun”

“I’m getting hassles off Anya now, she wants to do it”

“Well why don’t you then?”

“Because, I have realistic expectations about my car, it wouldn’t do it. And I don’t think for a second this will, either, nor is it a good idea to be with Spike”

Spike reappeared in the kitchen-to-garage doorway and said,

“Well, that’s just where you’re wrong mate, we’ll do the course, and hopefully win the money for Joyce’s hospital – um pet, have you got any shower gel, I can only see that vanilla stuff you use”

“Cupboard under the sink, I bought you some Sport stuff”

“Right, thanks – And thanks for your kind words of support and encouragement, whelp – piss off why don’t you – Oh, I’m out of here, shower!”

Spike left.

“Xander, why do you have to always be so negative towards-“

“And if by a miracle you DO win, you make sure you have the cheque, he might SAY he’s happy for the money to go to charity now, but you mark my words, when the time comes, he’ll-“

“Xander, you have to say on the entrance application form what charity you are donating the money to, they print out a huge big oversized cheque and you’re photographed handing it over, so he couldn’t go back on it. Not that I think he would”

“You’ve changed Buffy. What on earth possessed you to say yes in the first place?”

“Well if you must know, Cordelia and Angel being smug”

“Oh you mean you wanted to get back at Angel?”

“No, I TOLD you, it’s for charity, we thought it was a good idea”

“Here you are, I wondered where you’d got to – I’ve been looking all over the house for you – I thought it was you in the bathroom, I just caught Spike with his shirt off” Anya said with a great big grin on her face.

“What – why the” Xander got all indignant, until Anya said,

“Shame I didn’t time it ten seconds later, coz he was just undoing his belt and-!

“ANYA1 – I don’t believe I’m hearing this!”

Anya shrugged

“Spike’s ripped! His got a great body, hasn’t he Buffy!”

Anya ran her hand over the back wing of the car and continued,

“ Wow…look what he’s done to the car, it’s fantastic! Does it go really fast now?” Buffy was rather grateful that Anya glossed over her first question, Xander was already almost apoplectic with annoyance.

“Really, really fast – he’s put a V8 engine in it, it goes like a bomb now!”

“What is it with you women and that vampire, huh, why can’t you see him for the evil un-dead he really is?”

“Hundreds of brake horsepower, goes thousands of revs and that, it’s awesome!” Buffy was saying to a most impressed Anya, both ignoring Xander

“Well, if you change your mind, I’ll definitely take your place!” Anya said grinning

“ANYA! – Hello, I’m your Jerry Maguire here!”

“Who?”

“Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise, in the film! Anyway, are we patrolling tonight?”

“Yeah, see you at the Peacefield at about 11?” Buffy said

“I’m going to try and get Spike to let me have a drive of it!” Anya said, still lovingly running her hand over the back wing.

“Oh, well see – see you later then, bye!