Chapter 5

Author’s note: Thanks to ‘The Simpson’s’ for the loan of Mayor Quimby!



Spike by-passed the pit stop, as his plan was to stop at the last one to get gas before the finish.

There was about 150 miles to go, and it was nearly twenty to four in the morning, they were about forty minutes off schedule, but they could still make it back to the finish in plenty of time.

Buffy had been amazed at how quickly Spike had forgiven her – helping Angel must have really wound him up, she could understand that – but Angel had begun to show his true colours, he was spiteful and self-centred, and after what Spike had spilled about his and Angel’s past life together, it went a little further in explaining their relationship now, well, she understood much better anyway.

They carried on fine, and pulled into the last pit stop with just ten miles to go to the finish, and the inevitable happened, Angel and Cordelia passed them.

Buffy felt her heart sink a little and her stomach flip-flop, Spike’s knuckles whitened for a few moments, then he let his fleeting anger go. Buffy was a little unsure whether Spike had actually seen Angel go past.

“Did you see them pass?” Buffy asked tentatively

“Yup, I saw them pet – who cares eh? – I’m only sorry we didn’t get that money for your mum’s hospital thingie, that’s all”

Buffy had almost forgotten about that and nodded sadly.

“Eh, chin up chick, lets go stand right in front of them when they receive the cheque, hope it pricks his conscience a bit!”

Buffy gave him a wan smile and squeezed his arm gently and nodded.


They crossed the finish line and logged in. There was a while to wait, and when everything was checked they went to get something to eat.

Half an hour later, the winner’s ceremony was to take place, and Spike and Buffy got front row seats.

The mayor stepped up to the podium, and said hello, the microphone gave off feedback and everybody winced.

Mayor Quimby smiled and adjusted the stand a little

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen, thankyou all for coming here at this ungodly hour, to see the annual Arizona Charity Race, sponsored by Ginelli’s Party Snacks and Blackmore Spring water, we have our winners here and – “

A woman of about 55 years old, in a cardigan, wearing glasses crept up to the podium, and looked nervously at the mayor, she was one of the race administrators.

“………I’d like to introduce our worthy winners, everybody!” the mayor continued, ignoring the old lady.

Cordelia and Angel came and stood on stage, beaming and waving to the assembled guests

Spike leaned and whispered to Buffy,

“Worthy, huh!” Buffy smiled and nodded.

Both Spike and Buffy noticed that neither Angel or Cordelia could look at them, even though they were front row centre.

,
“………endured a gruelling 1250 mile race, in…excuse me, WHAT IS IT?” Mayor Quimby bent down and hissed at the old woman who was tugging at his elbow.
She whispered in his ear, and the mayor frowned and said,

“What? – But does that matter?” the old lady nodded vigorously.

“Um, excuse me ladies and gentlemen, there seems to be a, um, a slight hitch, I won’t be moment”

The mayor stepped off the podium and went into a huddle with several of the race officials and the old lady.

“What’s happening?” Cordelia hissed at Angel, smile fixed in place without moving her lips.

“Don’t know” Angel said, waving and Cordelia waved too, and there was another round of flash photography.

The mayor came back to the podium, and looked angrily at Cordelia.

“I’m sorry ladies and gentleman, but due to a discrepancy, there has been a rule broken I’m afraid, and (he turned towards Angel and Cordelia) this couple have been disqualified”

Cordelia dropped her arm from waving and shouted,

“WHAT?”
Angel frowned and went towards the mayor, then looked daggers at Buffy and Spike, thinking they had something to do with it.

Buffy and Spike were dumb-founded and just looked surprised at each other.

“What discrepancy, where? We’ve not broken-“ Cordelia said annoyed, THIS had RUINED her day, and she too glared at the couple in the front row, thinking they had something to do with it.

“I’m afraid you didn’t log out before the race last night at the hotel, your card hasn’t been stamped and initialled by one of the racing stewards”

Angel frowned, and Cordelia went white, then very red with embarrassment.

“What, but you were in the lobby, I found you there, I went to check the car, you went to log- what’s the matter?” Angel was puzzled

“I-I, um, I was erm, well, a ph-photographer came along and I er, well, he um, he pulled me-“

“A photographer? Oh terrific, you just HAD to get yourself in the bloody papers, didn’t you – bloody self-centred, egotistical…” Angel left the stage muttering to himself disgustedly.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the winners of the race are, and we’ve double checked this, I can assure you, Car 128, Mr Spike Williams, and Miss Betty is it – sorry, Buffy Summers!”

The audience clapped and Spike and Buffy were beyond shocked for a few seconds. Then Spike leapt up, pulling Buffy with him and he grabbed her by the waist and swung her round, hugging and laughing. They ran up on stage, and the mayor explained that they’d be a few minutes until a new cheque could be written for the charity they’d chosen.


“Oh gods, I must look a real mess – oh god, I’ve got no bra on now, either!”

“Nonsense, you look gorgeous as ever!” Spike leaned in and gave her a big kiss, which Buffy readily reciprocated.

Cordelia tried to slink off the stage un-noticed, but Spike had other ideas.

“Oh, no hard feelings Cordy, give my best to Angel, won’t you, that’s if he’s still speaking to you!”

Cordelia looked as if she wished the ground to open up and swallow her.

“Spike!” Buffy chided, but she was giggling too.

“Well, serves them right!”

***********


Back home the following evening, Anya held the newssheet out at arms length, and she grinned and said,

“Wow – your picture in the papers eh………it says here that Lacey Memorial will name the room with the new scanner the Joyce Summers room, ah, isn’t that nice!”

Buffy smiled and nodded.

“Er, Buffy…weren’t you wearing a bra?” Anya scrutinised the picture closely.

“THAT is a long story!” She grinned and Spike came over and cuddled her up.

“For another time! Come on kitten, you promised me!” Spike whispered the last three words into Buffy’s ear,

“…An early night!”



The End