Chapter 30


“My families coming in next week.”

The comment hung in the warm afternoon air as they drifted lazily on a two person float on the blue waters of his pool.

“Buffy?”

“Hmmmmm?”

“Did you hear me?”

“Family…” she said sleepily half lulled by the warm sun and half by the sparkles on the water beneath her.

Spike smiled at her sweet reply trying not to sigh out loud, but in truth he was worried.

They had been together for two months and change now and the topic of his age and his parents was always carefully avoided. Now it seemed that both were going to come together with all the fanfare of a Broadway production.

Running the back of his hand down the smooth skin of her closest thigh, he couldn’t help but wonder how she was going to act around him when his family did come. Would she be proud and happy to be with him or would she deny their relationship and treat him as a child and nothing more. He could see it happening, after all she had yet to reciprocate his feelings in words, hell she didn’t even want Tara and Willow to know and they were two of her closest friends now.

He shook his head, *No, she’s not like that. I….we…mean too much to each other to let age get in the way of our relationship.* Turning his head to look at the woman in question his eyes reflected his inner turmoil. *At least I hope.*




Later that night



“Your family’s coming?” Buffy asked in a panicked voice as they lay on the couch watching a movie together.

“Next week.”

“Why? I mean, why?” Her eyes huge.

“My birthday love, you remember, gonna be twenty. Da and Anya decided they wanted to come help me celebrate it.”

“Oh.” She replied in a meek voice as she dropped her head down onto his chest, “When?”

“Friday afternoon, I think they said. Bringing along my cousin Faith, to see the gold coast and all that.”

*Dad, mom AND cousin?* Buffy’s mind went into a tailspin as the thoughts rolled through her head. *What will they say? What will they think? I’m molesting their teenaged son, an older woman taking advantage of a younger naïve man. OH MY GOD…I AM Mrs. Robinson!*

Buffy abruptly sat up, putting some space between herself and the object of her moral decay.

Spike watched her warily, noting the wide deer caught in headlights look and absolute panic that was now on her lovely face. *And so it goes.* He thought to himself feeling disappointed and hurt, now that he could see her about to run.

Standing up he raked a hand through his bleached locks in agitation, “Well, I think I’ll be going for the night luv, got work to do tomorrow in the am.”

Buffy snapped out of her semi stupor at his words, “I thought you were gonna stay?” She asked softly taking his hand in her own.

Turning his liquid blue gaze to her own confused hazel one, he relented, “If you want me too luv.”

“Make love to me?” She asked her eyes filled with insecurity and apprehension.

Reaching a work roughened palm out to caress her face, Spike smiled feeling his own doubts slip away as she leaned into the touch.

“Always.”

After all there was always a chance that things would work out for the best.


TBC