Chapter 4

The door to Spike's house opened just as Buffy was raising her hand to knock on it, startling her momentarily before returning the smile of the blond hunk.

"C'mon in. Xand said he saw someone comin' up the walk. You look fetching by the way luv." Spike's gaze raked slowly over Buffy's faded low rider blue jeans and her magenta mid drift halter that showed a toned stomach he had to restrain himself from reaching out and touching.

"Thanks, you look nice too." Buffy winced inwardly at the word "nice." *Nice, what kind of word is that? Edible, yummy, tasty, frickin supercalfraglisticexpealadotious is better than nice. Way to school marm it up!*

Following him into the house she was disappointed to see a man about her age with a wide friendly smile and boyish good looks lounging on one of the stools in the kitchen preventing her from being alone with the object of her fantasies.

"Xand, Buffy, Buffy Summers, Xander Harris." Spike waved at the man by way of explanation, trying not to show his angst at introducing the pretty widow to the single carpenter.

*It's not like I don't like the git, but she's mine, at least she will be...someday...maybe...* He shook away the thoughts as he turned his back leaving the two others to make polite conversation behind him.

"D'ya need some help with that?" A soft voice asked him after a few minutes, unbearably close. Looking over his shoulder he smiled seeing Buffy standing on tiptoe behind him.

"Where'd the whelp go?"

"Who?"

"Xander, the git who is angling for a date luv." He smirked a knowing smirk to mask his feelings before turning back to the task of cutting up the veggies that would be cooked later.

Leaning back on her heels for a moment Buffy seemed to digest this bit of information before replying.

"Ooooh is that what he was doing? I was wondering. It's been awhile, so you practically have to hit me over the head to get a clue. He's nice." She said turning to gaze at the dark haired man outside by the grill before reaching to place her hand on Spike's blue shirted back, "But he's not really my type. Ya know?"

His breath caught at her soft words,*Is she sayin' what I think?*

(BANG)

"We're here!" A cheerful voice carried through the house and into the kitchen causing Buffy to start guiltily and withdraw her hand quickly before it reached it's destination.

*Damn.*
*Damn.*

Both blonds looked up with almost identical plastic grins as Willow and her girlfriend Tara entered the room.

"We brought booze, chips and Uno for later." Willow babbled oblivious while Tara took in the tension in the room between her younger friend and the newcomer with a knowing eye.

"You're underage Spikey so you're gonna have to sit this one out." She teased ruffling the bleached hair affectionately.

"S'allright have my own stock thanks much. Bettern' that swill you yanks try to pass off as alcohol." He replied before pulling Willow into a warm embrace.

"How ya' doin' pet?" He asked Tara over her shoulder not catching the jealous look that crossed Buffy's face at the sight of another woman, even a lesbian, in his arms.

Tara, however, did see and with smooth grace she disengaged her girlfriend with a laugh saying, "If I didn't know better, William, I would swear you were trying to steal my woman."

Watching Buffy's reaction out of the corner of her eye, she noticed the woman visibly relax as Willow wrapped her arms around her lover's waist.

*Ok...so no threesome action there. Not that it matters. He's too young for me. Way too young! So what if I could bounce a quarter off of his ass, it's not all about looks.* Buffy leaned against the counter behind Spike thinking to herself and trying not to let her hands wander desperately over his well defined arms not realizing she was being watched intently by Tara.

*No touching Missy...you be good. You are here as a guest and not to go all doe eyed and moist over some good-looking little boy! He's probably got a girlfriend anyway. And what would Willow say? Or his parents for that matter? Just because you want to throw him down on the floor right this second and suck the chrome off of his bumpers does not mean you will! Self control girl that's me!*

Tara smiled a secretive smile while she watched the obvious sexual fireworks between the two, nodding occasionally while Willow rambled on.

"Wills, Tara, have you met Buffy yet?" Xanders booming voice interrupted Willow's latest reenactment of a professor at school.

"Uh...yeah...duh , Xand, I was the one to invite her." Willow rolled her green eyes at him in a friendly manner before hugging this friend as well.

"Willow thinks Xander, well, most men can't think luv so you'll have to excuse her rudeness when it comes to the male of the species." Spike's breath tickled Buffy's ear sending delicious shivers down her spine and bringing a slight flush to her cheeks as he leaned in close to whisper conspiratorially to her.

"I do not think that men can't think! I just think they don't use the right head most of the time." Willow said tapping Spike on the head before swatting his Levi covered behind playfully.

" Ok..drink time. Let's get this party kicked into gear shall we?"



Later


"Who's bleedin' idea was it to make Uno into a drinkin' game? Can't even see the pieces let alone pull 'em out w'out knockin' 'em over," Spike's slightly slurred speech was echoed by a thoroughly drunk Xander who had taken to sitting with his feet dangling in the lighted pool.

"'Ere, 'ere."

Soft jazz played in the background as the party consumed copious amounts of alcohol and even more amounts of ribs, corn and sweet potatoes roasted on the barbeque. The early evening had turned into a balmy late evening as the group played Uno and talked about the happenings of the world.

"Need 'nother pet?" Spike asked Buffy scraping back his chair gesturing to her empty drink.

"Bring out the bottle and some shots." Willow interrupted, "We'll finish this last game the right way."

"S'right, we play hard...we ...er...play hard?" Xanders voice drifted confused to them.

"I think 'at's enough for the Xand man." Spike strode over and helped his friend to his unsteady feet, "C'mon off to the guest room for you."

"But I gotta check on Fang," Xander protested, "She's gonna wanna know where I went."

"Fang will be fine 'm sure," Buffy heard Spike reply as he half carried his inebriated friend into the house.

Looking at the two women across from her Buffy raised an eyebrow, "Fang?"

"Oh, that's Xander's Chihuahua. She's a little possessive." Tara said as she smiled at the thought of the tiny black dog that Xander had saved from the pound. "He's had her since she was about 3 weeks old, so they're kinda an item."

" I always said any woman that stayed with Xander would have to be a real bitch!" Willow's laughter causing her to tip right out of her chair and spill onto the bricks below her.

"Ooooopsey." A tipsy giggle made Buffy smile as she watched the lighter haired woman help her lover to her feet.

"And on that note...Buffy it's been great getting to know you, we will definitely have to get together and hang out, once the fairy princess here is sober that is." Reaching over to clasp a hand over Buffy's hand in a warm gesture, brown eyes met hazel, "Spike's a good guy, we love him, but he's young. Be careful, be true to yourselves, He would have wanted it this way."

A shock ran down her spine as Tara once again smiled softly at her in understanding before turning to her girlfriend who was now nuzzling her ear. "What say we go home?"

"mmmmm."

"Bye Buffy."
"Bye...Buff..."


Buffy sat in total disbelief at the words that Tara had used. She was so careful all evening to hide her attraction to Spike from everyone. Sitting next to him had been absolute torture. All she could think about was licking every inch of his wholly masculine body. She wanted to just rip off his clothes and make him beg for more while she had her wicked way with him. Now Buffy was more than confused. Spending the evening in denial had only opened her senses to the other qualities that made up this unique man. His quick wit, his vast intelligence on everything from wines to horticulture. He was sweet and caring and everything she had once had in Angel. He was her dream man. But he was 19! A teenager, for god's sake. What was Tara saying? Who would have wanted this? Angel? Surely not. He would have wanted her to find someone her own age, not go around robbing the proverbial cradle. Yes Angel wanted her to be happy, and yes he had made her promise that she would move on, but to Spike? *Oh god what did she do now? Gotta go. Leave before...*

"Where'd the witches go?"

Buffy's head whipped around towards his voice, the motion and the alcohol causing her to loose her balance momentarily and start to tumble to the ground like Willow had earlier.

Stepping forward Spike caught Buffy into his strong embrace before she fell all the way. Buffy allowed herself to settle, catching her shocked breath, against his taut muscles a moment, wishing it were real and she could stay that way forever. The feeling of his hand running hesitantly through her hair and across her cheek jarred her back to reality abruptly. Pulling herself from his arms she tried to mask the pain she felt with a bright smile.

"Um...a little too much too drink. I think I'd better go too."

"I'll walk you luv."

Buffy gulped as she looked down at the hand that was now holding hers snugly.

"Uh...Oh..ok, but it's just next door." She tried to play off her nervousness with teasing.
"I mean it's not like I'm going to get lost."

Sensing that something wasn't right Spike dropped her hand and nodded staring at nothing beyond her shoulder.

" I had a great time tonight." She said softly regretting the teasing that had obviously upset him. "Maybe next time, my house?" Her voice trembled slightly when he didn't look at her but nodded again without replying.

"Well, I'll see you later." Buffy's heart aching as she watched Spike walk to the sliding glass door on the patio and into the dark of the house leaving her to find her own way out.

Hot tears slid down her face as she stared for a moment at the place Spike had stood and tried to figure out just what went wrong. Lowering her head, she swiped at the tears angrily, before drawing herself up to her full diminutive height and stalked haughtily from the backyard blond hair tossed defiantly behind her shoulder like a lions mane.

*Dammit, NO man left Buffy Summers without a by your leave. Certainly not William Giles. He probably thought he knew her, probably thought she'd be begging him to walk her home and then beg for him in her bed as well. Not likely, he just met his match. From now on it would be her shots that were called and his cute little ass doing the calling. Oh yes... baby wants to play?He had another think coming.*

Watching her from the darkness Spike allowed a small smile as he watched the tiny firecracker, stalk out of his yard. It had hurt him to see her cry he hadn't expected that, all he wanted to do was go back out into the yard and hold her, and tell her he didn't mean it, but he had to play it this way. Tara had said so. And if anyone knew human nature it was his older friend Tara McClay Psychologist M.D. She was a witchy one but he had learned long ago that you listened to Tara when she spoke and when she had pulled him aside between courses earlier in the evening; he wasn't the bit surprised that she knew he was lusting after the new neighbor. Nor had he been surprised to find that she knew the attraction was mutual. What did surprise him however is just how strongly Tara said Buffy was going to fight the attraction because she thought he was too young. Tara had seen the same torment in many of the patients she had treated over the years and it never ceased to amaze her that people just didn't give in. If it's legal and it's safe, go for it was her way of thinking. She told Spike he was going to have to play hard to get if he wanted this one, as she believed he did. So Spike had taken her advice to heart and started the hard to get that very night. *Doesn't mean I have to like it though!*

TBC