Chapter 9


Buffy stood in her bathroom frowning lightly in concentration as she pulled part of her freshly curled hair back into a clip causing it to cascade down over her shoulders like molten gold.

A pair of large gold hoop earrings completed the look and she was set for the evening. Glancing at the clock sitting on the counter she smiled, *10 minutes to spare, that's a record. *


Looking at herself in the full-length mirror hanging on the back of the door, She tried to picture Spikes reaction when he picked her up tonight. The dress she had picked out was a soft drape of black silk that crossed over one shoulder and flowed down her petite form snugly with high slits that reached mid-thigh on either side.

4 inch black strappy heels, a couple of slim gold bangle bracelets, and her favorite vanilla and sandalwood body oil, placed in strategic locations and she was ready. *Dress to kill, he said. Well Buffy, let's see if we can get away with murder. Spike's not gonna know what hit him.*

Winking at herself playfully in the mirror, Buffy walked out of the restroom and started down the stairs just as the front door bell rang.

Slinging a tiny black purse hanging on a thin strap over one slender shoulder and then fluffing her hair with her fingertips once more, Buffy took a deep calming breath and opened the door.

The first sight of Spike dressed in black form fitting tailored linen slacks and a white silk shirt that was unbuttoned to mid chest, paired with a simple silver chain around his strong neck, knocking her for a loop. *Gaah.........uhhhhh.....* Her brain taking off once again into the realm of no conscience cohesion of thought. *He's so HOT!* was all Buffys mushy brain was able to assimilate as she took in the whole of Spike.

Equally stunned Spike stood bathed in the warm light of the porch light not uttering a sound as he looked upon his dream come to life.

"You...are the most beautiful thing 've ever beheld m'lady." He said in a husky voice, after a moment that sent delicious shivers down her spine. "These are for you," Holding out a bouquet of wild flowers for her, Spike smiled shyly, the awkward but equally appealing younger man shining through the sexy confident exterior for a moment.

"Thank you," Buffy said blushing lightly, accepting the flowers and inhaling deeply of their fragrance, "They're lovely."

"Shall we?" Spike asked offering her his arm gallantly in a gentlemanly fashion.

"Let me put these in water first and then we most certainly shall." Buffy said before turning and disappearing into the house momentarily.

"All set." She said returning, gracing Spike with a brilliant smile. Her lovely eyes glowed with excitement as she took his arm, her hand unconsciencally taking a moment to caress the muscles underneath.

"Then your chariot awaits your pleasure Madame." Spike returned her smile mischievously before reaching in and locking the door to the house and pulling it shut behind her.

"Hmmm...my chariot looks an awful lot like an old jalopy," Buff teased gently grinning as they walked to his De Soto.

"'S a classic I'll have you know. Mint condition at that." He complained good naturedly pausing to lovingly caress his car, "M'baby."

Releasing her arm for a moment, Spike pulled open the passenger side door and helped Buffy into the car as she rolled her eyes. "What is it with men and their cars? I remember Angel used to go completely nuts for this..." Her voice trailing off suddenly as she realized what she had said and tears sprung unbidden to her eyes.

"Luv?" Spike's worried voice sounded close to her ear as he lowered himself next to her just inside the still open car door. "You ok?"

"Yeah," She smiled shakily at him, "Just memories ya know?" She shook her head trying to play it off. "Sorry."

Taking one of her trembling hands into his own, Spike looked deeply into her eyes, "'Snothing to be sorry for luv. The memories will always be there it's how we choose to let them affect us that makes the difference. You loved him deeply, part of you most likely always will, it's what makes you, you. S'not a bad thing. On the contrary, it just shows what a caring heart you have. I, for one, find that wholly endearing."

Gently reaching out and pushing a wayward strand of hair behind her ear, Spike leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead before leaning back on his heels with a rakish grin. "What say we get this show on the road? Fun and frolic awaits."

Buffy smiled fully nodding as he stood and closed the door. * He's so wonderful, so thoughtful. Does the age difference really matter?* She thought to herself watching as Spike crossed around in front of the car to climb into the driver's seat before putting the key into the ignition and bringing the De Soto roaring to life. Wrapped deeply in her thoughts Buffy came to a decision, *I don't think I want to miss the chance and not find out. *

Spike glanced over at Buffy offering her a smile before asking, "Music luv?"

Pulling herself from her thoughts she looked at him and nodded, laughing as he turned on the radio and the Sex Pistols flooded the car with raucous punk rock.

*This is what I exactly what I need. * She realized, her whole body lighting up at the younger man's enthusiast ways. Both blonds shared a grin as Spike gunned the motor and they tore away into the night.



TBC