CHAPTER 5 --

Dawn giggled at his comment, “The one and only,” she replied to the older man with glasses who was examining her like she was a rare specimen, slowly inching closer and closer.

“Dawn, meet your grandfather,” Spike spoke wearily, gesturing towards his father.

Giles pulled back, “Good Lord,” he marveled, “you look nothing like you mother.”

Dawn laughed. “That’s what happens when two fake blondes have kids,” she replied, glancing at Spike who smiled at his daughter’s wit.

Giles took in the boy and girl in front of him. “I think they rather look like me and Joyce, do they not?” He smiled at his son, his chest puffed out, looking rather proud of himself.

“Go ahead, Da, take all the credit,” Spike rolled his eyes, crossing his arms and leaning against the counter.

“Well they do,” Giles defended himself.

“Joyce?” Connor looked at the others in the room questioningly.

“My grandma,” Dawn jumped in. “Well, your grandma too. Mom’s mom,” she added.

“This is incredible. How did this happen?” Giles took off his glasses to clean them.

Spike lifted off the counter, “Come on, I need you to look over some insurance papers, I’ll explain everything then.”

Spike had to drag his father out of the room, the elder Giles twisting his neck around to gape at his granddaughter.

Before awkwardness was allowed to permeate the room between the newly found brother and sister, a dark haired man entered the kitchen, heading straight for the coffeemaker. He glanced over at the table.

“Hey, Con-man!”

Then almost broke his neck doing a comic double-take. “Merciful Zeus there’s two of them!” he exclaimed, shaking his donut at the pair. “Dawn is that you!?”

“Yes!” Connor exclaimed exasperated. “This is Dawn. And I swear to God if you ask us how she got here, I’ll throw something at you.”

Xander held up his hands, “Gotcha, I’ll get the lowdown later.” He held his hand out to Dawn, “Xander Harris, best friend and assistant of your father.” Dawn returned his eager shake as he sat down with them.

“So how did you come to help my dad?” Dawn inquired.

Xander finished chewing before setting down his donut and wiping his hands on his pants, “Well, see, it’s like this -- I didn’t have anything going on and wanted to get as far away from my parents as possible, so when we graduated, I came on over the lake with your dad to help him with Connor.”

“The blind leading the blind,” Connor joked.

After a moment, Dawn sighed wistfully, “This is amazing.” She turned to her brother, expecting him to share her glee, “Isn’t this amazing? I mean . . . I have a dad,” she marveled.

“Congratulations. But that doesn’t give me a mother,” Connor abruptly slammed his chair back, scowling as he fled the room to upstairs.

“Don’t worry about him,” Xander told Dawn, reading her thoughts.

“That’s what everyone keeps telling me,” Dawn frowned. She looked up as her father reentered the kitchen.

“Dawn, I think you should call your mum. She’s probably worried out of her mind.”

“Oh my God, I forgot to call! She’s gonna kill me!” Dawn rushed for the phone in her father’s hand.

Dialing the long distance number, the phone rang once before she heard the frantic voice of her mother.

“Dawn! Why did you not call me when you landed? Does England not have phones!? I assumes they’d be easy to find considering the big red booths and everything!”

“Mom! Mom!” Dawn interrupted. “I know you’re mad, but I’ve got a great excuse! Something amazing had happened!”

“Unless you met Prince William and are now in line to be the Queen of England, I don’t want to hear it, Dawn!”

“I met Dad!”

The entire bottom dropped out of Buffy’s stomach. “You . . . what?” She asked weakly. Grabbing onto the nearest surface, lowering herself into a chair.

“Met Dad! He lives in this amazing place, it’s huge! And Connor’s here!”

Buffy didn’t hear a single word her daughter said as she continued to gush. She was broken out of her reverie at the sound of her daughter yelling for her attention.

“Mom! Mom! Did you hear me?” Buffy could hear the grin in her daughter’s voice.

The line was silent for a moment before Buffy spoke:

“We’re coming over.”

Dawn hung up and ran upstairs, throwing her confused dad the phone on her way, swinging into Connor’s room.

“Hey Connor, you know what you said -- about you not having a mom?”

“Yeah,” he responded, not looking up from the sketchbook on his lap.

Dawn picked up a soccer ball sitting on the floor at her feet, throwing it at him to get his attention, “Well, your about to.”

TBC