Chapter 18 My Juvenile Delinquent

Some how in some bizarre world Dawn was able to force her to go to the mall and buy her some of the supplies she needed for the contest that weekend. Since Sunnydale was a small town she suggested that they walk to the mall instead of driving. Here she was walking up to the rotating doors of the establishment with William in tow. Her mom had to start early in the gallery that morning and probably would be late because of all the new shipment. Since Dawn insisted that they both have nothing else better to do and why not show William again the nice old town of SunnyD which of course included passing by the mall and buying her art materials. And it’s not like she could complain, a whole day with Spike can’t be bad.

As they walked their way to the mall he stared in astonishment about how different small towns like Sunnydale are. You hardly see any cars, and the streets were probably deserted, one would think that the apocalypse is boiling up and everybody is under their beds hiding. The last time William came to Sunnydale he and Buffy went to the park and that was a weekend, so he assumed that this is what small towns were like. Very much unlike the City of Angels he was use to, and the busy town of England where he had spent much of his childhood. No wonder Buffy missed it. It was a little peaceful town except the small fights here or there by the neighbors which made it have a more American feel.

“So, where do you want to go first?” he heard Buffy ask. He looked at the scene presented before him, “There really isn’t much to see.” She continued, and he can’t help but agree. The mall was not even one of a quarter of the malls in the big city, “it only gets crowded usually during Christmas.” She added. He just nodded his head.

“So, you wanna buy Dawn things first or look around, cause trust me the SunnyD mall has not much things to offer.” She said with a laugh. She heard him say that he really didn’t mind where to go first so she guessed it all up to her. ‘First stop! The bookstore.’

Buffy was walking into the store walking pass the several aisles that laid an assortment of books. From children’s books to how to fix things that she never dared touch in her house. William dragged to one of the aisles that presented American bestselling novels. “Have you ever read ‘Angels and Demons’, it’s really a good book. You must read it.” He asked her as he rummaged through the shelves. ‘The angels and what?’ she wondered, “I’m not really much of a reader, more or a watcher.” She said to the walking form of him as he turned another aisle. “Never really liked reading, unless it was required for school. God! How I hated book reports.”

“It’s really a big loss on you, pet. Reading is not only entertaining but educational. You should try it, you might just enjoy it.” He turned another corner and left her also rummaging through the shelves. ‘Chicken Soup for the Soul?’ she silently read. In the back of her mind she thought she heard of chicken soup for the colds but for the soul, that’s just weird as she placed the book back on the rack. “Okay, I know something that you might like to read.” He called on to Buffy in a teasing voice.

She tried to follow the sound of him as she turned every aisle. Just then she felt a familiar presence near her but before she could turn around an offending hand sprawled a ‘Scooby Doo’ comic right at her face. “So… what you think, luv. You like?” as Buffy turned to him an annoyed face evident.

“Oh! How dare you mock me like that!” she stared at him hands on her hips.

“Well, you do love it right?” he asked, smirk in his handsome feature.

Buffy scowled at him, “at least I don’t like PASSIONS!” she half shouted in his ear.

Now it was his turn to look offended, “It’s a classic!” he defended. “A lot of people are big fans of it, if I may say.”

“Yeah.” She rolled her eyes, “hundred year old women!”

“Child!” he hit back at her.

“Oldie!”

“I am not that old!” he said annoyed and started chasing after her ready to tickle the ‘the three year old’ until she screamed her heart out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a lot of laughing and her stomach aching in desperate need to pry away the offending hands of a certain blonde. One of the managers actually came out and threatened them to be thrown out of the mall if they don’t stop their childish actions. She and William had listened on his on rambling about mall policy but as soon as he was out of ear shot Buffy had laughed her heart out and William teased her of being a juvenile delinquent and there goes the chasing again.

Finally they reached the art section and Buffy grabbed a basket in one of the many stack, she pulled out a piece of paper that contained the list, that according to her sister was quote the most important thing you should never leave the house without today or else unquote. She looked at the list, nothing special. She’d be out here in no time. As she searched through the stacks for the specific brand of paint that Dawn insisted she reeeealy reeeeealy needed specifically. She scanned the store and couldn’t seem to find the blonde anywhere in sight. She began to stock up on some paint, brushes and pallets. ‘Where the hell is he?’ she asked herself.

William was walking around the bookstore browsing through the different aisles; Buffy was by the art section getting the things Dawn needed. In a little corner he spotted a row of small tables with little kids in them who seemed to be painting some kind of ceramic rock. He then decided to look for Buffy and tell her about his new discovery.

“Oh! There you are, where have you been?” she asked him. He was staring in a corner which seemed to lay a couple of small tables and chairs. “What you looking at?” She looked over his shoulder, needing to stand on her toes. “Oooo… ceramic painting!”

“What’s this about, pet?” he asked, never taking his eyes of the little children who seemed to be having a lot of fun painting.

“Well, it’s sort of a small little place where moms would leave their children and shop by the mall. Like a nursery or something!” she explained as he tugged on his hand. “C’mon, let’s go.”

“Wait. I want to try it out.”

“What?” he walked over the small barrier where the tables were aligned. “Reminiscing you childhood, are you, Spike?” she teased but followed him in.

He dismissed her comment and seated at one of the chairs and got a ceramic stone and some paint brush then started painting. She looked at him in shocked, ‘what is he a kid?’ but she herself sat across from him and mimicked his actions. ‘What the hell, painting’s fun.’

“Mine looks way better than yours.” Buffy looked at his handiwork, a black? tree with a little man standing underneath comparing it into her purple butterfly.

“Huh, look at your insect thing, it’s too purple.”

“No it’s not.” Looking at her ceramic figure fully covered in purple paint. “Like yours is better, hello? Black tree?”

“It’s metaphoric, like a dark world controlling over the man underneath.”

“Almost believable… NOT!” out of no where a very offending brush covered in neon green was suddenly found all over her left cheek. “OH MY GOD! How dare you!” she bit back as she herself wiped her own brush on his cheek.

William acted shocked, “This means war missy!” as he again chased her. Buffy ran as fast as her little legs could take her. Running almost half an hour, face and arms filled with different colored paints. She looked like she just came from a paintball fight, which it actually is. As she continued to run, she looked behind her to see him right at her tail; she stuck her tongue out him. Suddenly she slammed into a familiar body, the manager’s. They’re in trouble now… he just glared at her as William came up from behind her, “I guess we better get going then?” she asked in the most adorable voice she could conjure up. The manager just nodded, so she thought its better they leave now before they get kicked out. She turned around and grabbed their basket full art materials and headed for the counter, pulling William along.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They were walking side by side, after their trip to the mall; paint evident on their face. Buffy suggested that they walk around town for a while. A paper bag in his right arm, they were walking in front of the local high school. It was just about three o’clock, dismissal time. He saw a swarm of kids rush out of school eager to go back home or possibly hang out with their friends. “Do you act like that when you were their age?” he asked.

“Huh? Oh, nah… I was always in detention.” Buffy half joked.

William cocked an eyebrow at her, “My juvenile delinquent.” He said with a smirk. Buffy just placed her most innocent smile for him.

“Buffy! Spike! What you guys doing here?” Dawn called as she excused herself from a couple of her friends. “And what happen to you?” she asked pointing to Buffy’s right cheek.

“Hi Dawnie, just showing Spike here around town.” She nudged his side,

“Yeah.” He agreed, “Here’s the stuff you needed.” He raised the paper bag to her face.

“Thanks.” She grabbed the bag, “guess I better get back to them.” She said as she turned back to look at her friends. “Bye you guys. Thanks again.”

William waved Dawn off, he faced Buffy, “I thought you said she was not the one for the crowds?” he accused, pertaining to the group the younger blonde was returning to.

“She’s not.” Buffy stated as she walked off, leaving him behind.

“Who’s the cute guy, Dawn?” a brunette with her hair up in a ponytail asked.

“More like that hottie!” another one with glasses joined in.

“Yeah. Who is he?” A blonde asked, eyes still lingering on the retreating form of William.

“Oh! Spike? She’s my sister’s boyfriend, though she’d never admit it.”

“Spike…” the three girls said in unison.

“Lucky sister.” The blonde commented.

“You know, one time I saw them totally making out on the back porch…” Dawn trailed off, tattling on what her eyes saw.

“So, where to next, pet?” he asked as he hooked his arm around hers, fingers intertwined.

Buffy felt tingles up her spine again, her heart doing flip-flops, but she didn’t mind the hand holding. “Umm… you hungry?”

“Starving!”

“Okay! Best franks you’d ever tasted coming up!” She said as she led her to the nearest hot dog stand. “Two please.” She added, “the works.” She turned to him, “these are the best ever!” The vendor handed her the two franks, “Thank you.” She handed him his share, their arms hooked around each other, fingers still intertwined.

William led them to the nearest bench as he took a bite out of his frank, “Umm…” he moaned in pleasure, “Tasty!”

“Told you.” As she herself bit into her own sandwich. “The best in town.”

“I can’t disagree with you there, pet.” Their intertwined fingers resting on their lap.

Just then realization hit Buffy, “You’re a hand holder!” she accused, finger pointing in his face.

William abruptly withdraws his hand that was still with hers, “No I am NOT!” he defended, blush creeping up his face.

She just smiled him, “It’s okay, I don’t mind.” She replied as she grabbed his hand and returned it to their former position.

William just smiled back at her. He brushed a chaste kiss on her cheek.

“What was that for?” she asked, hands on her just kissed cheek.

“Nothing. You’re just so damn funny, luv.” He answered as he continued to eat his sandwich.

‘Hmm… I’m funny ha?’ she wondered silently.

to be continued...