A/N: Not the best chapter but still…it’s required. Thanks ever so much for all the lovely reviews!

Chapter 20 And the Winner is…

The bright white florescent light was showering from up above with the light of the sun slowly peaking through the draped windows. Up on the stage were about 10 canvasses lined up ready to be filled with beautiful strokes to tell a story. Each and every candidate ready to put all that imagination to create a picture.

Buffy, William and Joyce were seated at the fifth row from the stage. They were here to show support for the youngest Summer. Buffy can’t believe how fast time could fly; she could almost remember it like it was only yesterday when she and Dawn were fighting over Barbie dolls. Next year Dawn will be off to college, and she was so proud of her sister for achieving so much, she really had grown into a quite exceptional young woman. Now here she was trying her very best to get into a good college and fulfil her dream of becoming a great artist someday.

A little part of Buffy envied her sister for being able to come this close to her dreams. She loved the way she lived now, independent and living the Los Angeles life to the fullest. She loved what she does, the fulfillment of being able to make people come together and have a good time. Though in her heart she knew that meeting a person in a matchmaking agency and assume that, that person could be the one you would end up with was close to impossible. But she always wondered what it would have been like if she had gone to college just like Willow. Of course she had no idea what she would major in but maybe once she was there she’d be able decide on a possible steady career.

She must have given out a sigh of sadness when those thoughts were running through her mind because she felt William tighten his hold on her left hand. That simple gesture made her smile on the inside, she had missed having a man to be able to share her day with. She had never been comfortable enough with Riley to actually consider their relationship as the boyfriend-girlfriend variety but with William, she found it different. It was like she was back in Jr. High with her first crush.

Buffy woke up to the sound of the chirping birds the sunshine beaming through the windows. She stayed sprawled out in bed wanting to soak on the beautiful early morning; she took a glance at her bedside clock and saw that it was already fifteen minutes past nine. Remembering this was the day that her sister had been preparing for all week she jumped out of bed and began to put on a shirt and tie her hair up on a ponytail. After a glance at the mirror she plopped down the stairs and found the rest of the occupants of the house in the kitchen.

“Hey, Buffy!” Dawn greeted cheerfully, excitement in her voice as she came into the kitchen. William and her mom each gave her their greeting as she pulled out a stool beside Dawn on the kitchen island and rested her head on her hands. William was across her, her mom on the sink washing some dishes. “I guess I better get ready.” The youngest Summer stated as she got up and jumped up the stairs.

“She sure is excited.” Joyce dried her hands on a towel as she faced the two blondes on the counter. “I guess I better get dressed myself, you two hurry.” As she went into the hall and up the stairs too.

“You want some eggs, luv?” William asked as he grabbed a couple of eggs from the refrigerator and started to heat a pan. Buffy looked up from her hands and gave him a warm smile.

“I should be doing that… you’re the guest.” He dismissed her with a wave of a hand and cracked the eggs on a bowl and beat it. As he continued to cook, Buffy felt like she had to say something before they fall into an awkward silence. “Umm… Thanks for bringing me upstairs last night.”

William turned off the stove and placed the eggs between them as he took his place across her. “It’s nothing, and I didn’t think your mum fancied you sleeping on the couch.” He replied as he poured them some juice and told her to eat up.

‘He eats like a man’ Buffy thought. William would grab a mouthful of bacon and eggs then would take a big bite out of a toast and he would munch it all down with a big gulp of orange juice. One would think that it might have been slightly disgusting but she found it rather… adorable. As she herself took the last bite of her toast, she looked at him head tilted with a genuine smile on her face.

“What?!”

“It’s nothing… it’s just that you eat like a child.” Buffy answered as she bit her lower lip seeing the gleam in his eyes.

“A what did you say?” he asked playfully.

“A child.” She said, almost a whisper.

“Is that right…” he stretched the last word as he begun to get up from his seat.

“Uh…hmm…” she replied eyes closed ready for the consequence of what she had spoken. Instead she felt his arms around her waist and he raised her from her seat.

“A child huh?” he whispered in her ear. Buffy just nodded her head as he started to nuzzle her neck. She gave out a little giggle, “Ticklish are we…” he teased her.

“Stop it!” she turned around, their face an inch apart, she saw his eyes switch from pure gleam to regret, “ we don’t want Dawn to blame us if she gets late.” She explained. “Go and take a shower.”

“Okay…” he replied as he leaned in for a kiss.

After a moment Buffy pulled away, “Take the shower.” He nodded but again moved in for another kiss. After a minute Buffy was able to pull away completely as she pushed William up the steps.

She began to gather the cup and plates they had used a contented smile on her face. She is one lucky gal.

“Buffy? Buffy…” William called which made Buffy pull out of her slight reverie from the happenings that morning.

“Yeah?”

“I was thinking maybe you want something to drink or maybe a walk outside. ‘Cause I gotta tell you love all this sitting is making my butt sore.”

Buffy gave out a chuckle, ‘William with his butt sore… now that’s something I would like to see…’ “Sure. Mom? You want anything?” Joyce politely declined saying she was just fine. The couple then went to the back by the refreshment stand, “I’ll get us some drinks okay?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah, luv. I’ll walk around. Just hurry…”

As Buffy reached the stands, “Two cokes please.” She told the server, a man with grayish hair.

“You and your guy having a good time?” the old man asked out of nowhere.

She looked back to William by the doors looking at the different brochures they offered. She thought the man sure asked a weird question but she answered it nonetheless, “Yeah.” As she turned back there was no one behind the stand; instead two cokes were placed in front of her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy have gotten her and William a couple of cokes, she looked for him by the grounds. Seeing no sign of him she decided that maybe he wanted to catch some fresh air outside. As she slowly crept her way out of the building, she found him by the fountain, holding a smoke between his fingertips as he talked to a woman who looked to be on her forties. They seemed to be having an intent conversation. William must have seen her coming because he waved her over.

William crushed the remains of his cigarette as he placed his arm around Buffy’s shoulder. “Thanks ,luv.” Was his response as she gave him his soda.

“Oh, Buffy this is Maggie Walsh, my former professor back in Yale. Maggie this is my girlfriend Buffy Summers.” He introduced the two ladies.

Buffy had looked at William warily when he had introduced her as his girlfriend. Of course she knows that they were sort of dating but to hear it come out of his lips that she indeed was his girlfriend just made her heart do a summersault.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Buffy.” Maggie offered.

“Likewise.” She greeted back with a smile, as the arm around her arm fell to her side to intertwine with her fingers.

“Maggie here’s one of the judges for the little bits’ contest,” William tried to make conversation.

“Dawn Summer’s right?” Maggie confirmed, she received an assuring nod. “She really has great talent. We at Yale were never really much for the arts until recently and with that kind of ability, I think that Yale may just have a place for her.” She suggested with a smile.

‘Wow.’ Buffy thought, her younger sister is actually going to get an offer from one of the most prestigious colleges in the country. Again insecurity and jealousy are taking over her. She really can’t help but be envious of the kind of future Dawn has in store for her. She was suddenly having regrets of not attending college.

“I guess I better get back, wouldn’t wasn’t to miss any action,” Maggie said. “It’s really nice seeing you again, William,” as she momentarily gave the blonde a loose hug. “It was a pleasure meeting you, Buffy.” She bid goodbye with a smile as she retreated back to the building.

After a pause, “Isn’t she nice, pet?” he asked as he wrapped an arm around her waist. Buffy didn’t answer. He pulled her to face him, hands on both her sides. “Something wrong…?” Buffy shook her head as she rested her head on his chest.

“It’s nothing.”

“Okay…” he accredited as he placed a quick kiss on the top of her head. He didn’t believe a word she said but decided to let the matter drop. “We better be getting back…” she nodded her head and let William lead her in.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

William was leading her back in when suddenly he stopped. “What’s the matter?” she asked as they continued to walk back to their seat trying to avoid all the people walking around. “Oh, what’s going on.” She asked her mother and sister once they spotted them on their seat as she looked around the small crowds of people talking.

“Intermission.” Dawn answered plainly as she took a bite out of her sandwich. “Judges are making their decision.”

“Nervous, bit?”

“Yeah.” She answered in a high pitch tone.

“That’s okay, Dawn, important thing is that you had fun right?” Buffy tried to ease her sister.

Dawn eyed her sister, “Yeah... of course.” She said with a roll of the eyes.

“So… where’s your masterpiece?”

“Oh I don’t know if you can call it a masterpiece, Spi—“ realizing that he was just playing with her, “right there.” She pointed to the fifth canvass from the left.

“You’re no 5 huh?” she nodded. “My favorite number, I’m sure you’re gonna win!” William cheered. The Summer’s women just eyed him warily.

“Contestants please come back up stage, we will be announcing the winners in just a short moment.” Somebody from the P.A. announced.

“I better get back.” Dawn said in a shaky voice, obviously nervous.

“It’s okay, honey. Don’t be nervous. You did great.” Joyce said as she patted her daughter on the back.

“Yeah,” the blonde couple assured. “Break a leg.” Buffy added, as Dawn went up the stage.

After everybody have settled, and the announcer got back on stage. There was complete silence as they cued the music. “There would be 5 awards given out…” the announcer trailed off.

Up on her seat Dawn was too nervous, each and every time the emcee says the number of the runner-up she gets more and more nervous. She wished hers was already called to get it over with at least she received something even if it wasn’t the grand price. She really wanted to win that scholarship, she wants to prove to her mom and Buffy that all the things they put up with her was worth it. Even if she knows that she never had to prove anything to them, especially to her mother.

“Okay… We have come to the most anticipated moment of the whole competition. The grand winner who would receive a scholarship to Yale, to be awarded by Professor Maggie Walsh… and the winner is…” the drum rolled. “Contestant number… 5 Dawn Summers with ‘Child’s Play‘”

Dawn jumped from her seat, when she heard her name. She couldn’t believe that she actually won. She herself won. She was so excited as she glanced at the crowd who was clapping their hands for her. She can’t believe this; it was like a dream as she shook the hand of a lady who handed her a blue ribbon. She was still in a daze as they took a couple of pictures with the judges and the other contestants. She walked down the stairs with a huge smile on her face as her mother, Buffy and William greeted her with praises.

“Congratulations, honey. You did awesome!” Joyce hugged her daughter, proud of her achievement.

“Yeah, Dawnie. Congratulations!” as she too gave her sister a hug.

“I think that deserves a victory dinner.” William suggested. “My treat… what do you say?” he asked an eyebrow raised.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dinner was awesome, actually dinner was ‘really’ awesome. Dawn realized she was missing out on the good stuff by always eating fast food. William took them to one of those fancy restaurants just outside Sunnydale. At first she and her mom insisted that it was not necessary to spoil her like that but he had insisted saying that she had deserved it. The place was amazing, it was probably the best meal she had in her life, and she was so full she thought she would throw up.

After that William offered for them to go to her favorite ice cream parlor as an additional celebration for her winning first place. She told him ‘again’ that it was not necessary and that she was already too full but ‘again’ he insisted. There was something with William and using his charm as a means of persuasion. Maybe that’s why Buffy liked him so much, yes she did notice the holding of hands, because he really knew how to treat a lady or ladies for that night. He was funny, courteous, successful and a perfect gentleman though he would never admit it saying he was no poofter, even if she never understood what it actually meant. And to top it all off he was a total hottie. Dawn knew it was wrong to think those thoughts about her sister’s boyfriend but she just couldn’t help herself. She just hoped that someday she finds a guy just like him except maybe someone nearer to her age.

“That was a wonderful dinner, William I’m totally stuffed.” Joyce said as they were in the front porch and she opened the front door.

“It’s nothing, Joyce. Glad you guys had a great time especially the little bit here.” He patted her head affectionately. ‘Big sign that he only sees you as a little sister’ a part of Dawn’s brain recited.

“Yeah. I had a great time. Thanks again Spike.” Dawn gave him a bear tight hug; he could almost hear his ribs breaking but hugged her back all the same. “I better get upstairs… get some sleep. Goodnight.” She announced as she gave out a yawn.

“I guess I better be retreating back myself. Goodnight. Oh, William if you need anything just ask.” Joyce offered with a smile as she went up the steps, leaving Buffy and William alone.

William turned to Buffy as soon as she heard Joyce’s door close shut, “So… what you want to do?” he asked with a smirk, a sparkle in his eyes.

Buffy breathed out, as she played ideally with her tongue inside her mouth, “I don’t know…” she said trying to keep a straight face. “I was sort of sleepy…” she yawned, “…already.”

“Really…” He wrapped his arm around her waist to pull her close.

She nodded her head, as he captured her lips for a kiss. “It’s really nice what you did for Dawn.” She uttered as William began to kiss her neck down to her collarbone.

“It’s nothing. She deserved it, did you see that painting. Saying it was good is an understatement.” He continued his ministrations.

“Yeah… I guess so…” She pulled back from him and kissed him on the lips. “Goodnight.” She said with a smile. William looked at her wide eye, scared eyebrow raised. “Yes mister, goodnight,” as he pulled her in more. He nuzzled her earlobe; Buffy gave out a moan. “Not here… my mom’s upstairs… goodnight.” She gave him a quick but passionate kiss before going up the steps. Halfway she looked back at him at the foot of the stairs staring at her back. “Love you.” She whispered enough so that he could here.

“Love you too.”

to be continued...