Chapter 26 Slipping Out of his Grasp

Buffy rolled her eyes a couple of times, snatching the phone from Willow, “Yeah?”

“Hey, luv.” William greeted, trying to sound positive, “Did you get the flowers?” he asked, uncertainty obvious in his voice.

“Yeah.” she answered awkwardly, glaring daggers at Willow. She didn’t want to sound harsh on the phone, she didn’t want him to think that she was still mad which in some point she isn’t anymore but neither did she want him to assume everything was back to normal. Awkwardness filled the line as neither said anything. “They were lovely, thank you,” Buffy spoke, trying to keep the conversation moving.

There were sound of murmuring that can be heard over the line, “Look, Buffy I’m sorry I can’t talk much. I sorta have to board a jet right about now.” he spoke through the receiver as he walked passed the gates and up the stairs into the plane.

“Oh.” she said surprised, “Where are you going?” she asked trying to hide the curiosity in her voice.

William of course didn’t miss the slight slip in her tone, “Just gonna be gone for a couple of days,” he paused not wanting to get into another argument. “Umm… you know about the-“

“Oh yeah, that.” Buffy again tried to sound unconcerned, ‘why was it so hard for him to just say he’s sorry so we can get over this whole deal.’ “Well, don’t let me bother you, we can talk another time.”

“It’s no bo-“

“Sir, we’re about to lift off, if you can please shut off your phone,” one of the pilots informed William.

Hearing this, “It’s really okay, Will. You can just call me back, whenever.”

“Okay…” he said halfway until the other line went dead. Flipping the phone shut and getting comfortable in his seat, William tried to shut his eyes for some much-needed rest. Until he felt a person sit down next to him, “Hello, Spike.”

Knowing there is no chance for sleep now he breathed in deep, rubbing his hands over his eyes, “Dru” he acknowledge the brunette’s presence.

“You don’t look well,” she observed, “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing gets pass you does it?” he told her with a thin smile, she just looked at him waiting for an answer, “It’s nothing, just lack of sleep.”

“It’s the girl isn’t it?” she tilted her head, “she has pained you.”

‘Girl? Oh…’

“Tell me.”

“It’s nothing, okay…” he said grinning his teeth together, “and she didn’t do anything to me.” he explained in a whisper. ‘God, I’m such a daft’, he could kill himself for what he had done, what he had provoked from happening because of one stupid mistake, one false move, one useless misunderstanding, everything he had ever had might just be slipping out of his grasp.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Thank you. Call if there’s any problem,” Willow hollered at the retreating back of their client. Turing on to Buffy, “So what did he say?”

“Nothing much,” she said dismissively as she shuffled some papers. “Meaning?” the redhead inquired. “He didn’t say, much. He couldn’t really talk.”

“Oh,” Willow said disappointed. “Why?”

“Work,” was her only reply like it would explain everything. After a couple of minutes of silence, “He had to get on a plane… or jet, I’m not really sure,” she tried to explain further.

Willow just nodded her head, like everything Buffy had said just satisfied her curiosity. “You wanna go out with me tonight?”

“What?” Buffy asked, stunned.

“Well, Oz is playing tonight at the Bronze then we’ll be going to this party by the beach, one of his band mates was throwing. Why don’t you come with us?”

“I don’t know…” she shakes her head, “I’m not sure I’m up to it.”

“Come on Buffy, I promise it would be fun. We are totally lacking in girl time,” Willow pressed her lips together in plea.

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Fine.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Willow arrived at the Bronze at about eight that night and the place was packed, it was filled with different kinds of people in all shape, size and age. The loud rock music was blasting off the speakers as about a hundred people get their groove on the dance floor.

As they entered, Oz caught Willow’s eyes and gives her and Buffy a smile. Soon the two ladies were able to find seats at the secluded booth in the far right. The whole night for them was filled with laughing and catching up with each other. Before long, Buffy actually found herself having a wonderful time just hanging-out with Willow and having a blast.

After their first set, Oz came over their table and plopped down beside Willow and gave her a peck on the cheek and Buffy a nod in acknowledgement. “Hey, Oz,” she greeted him.

“Hey.”

‘Typical, Oz,’ she thought, a man of few words literally, as she gave him a smile. “You guys are really getting good,” Buffy tried to make conversation.

“Yeah,” he nods.

“Oh don’t be modest,” Willow tells him, “They’re going to be talking to a producer next week,” she half whispered onto Buffy.

“Really?” Buffy was astounded, he just replies with a shy smile, “Wow, that’s great. Congratulations!”

“Thanks.”

“So, that’s what the party’s about huh?”

“Pretty much. Devon just wanted to make a big deal out of it.”

“But it is a big deal…” Willows insist, and he just shrugged and wrapped an arm tighter around her.

“Hey, why don’t you guys have a dance,” Buffy suggested, as a particular music starts to play in the background “I know this is Wills’ favorite song.”

Oz just looks at Willow eyebrow raised, “I don’t know, Buffy. We don’t want to leave you alone.”

“Oh please” she waved her hand dismissively, “I’m gonna be fine. Go on, dance.”

“If you’re sure…” Willow said as she slowly moved out of her seat, “Don’t you wanna join us?”

“Nah,” she shook her head, “You two go.”

“Okay,” the redhead replied as they made their way through the middle of the dance floor.

Buffy sat there holding an empty glass, watching the mass of people walking around and dancing. Willow told her that Xander and Cordelia would go by later at the party by the beach but she didn’t know if they would be able to drop by the Bronze. She really didn’t want to be alone in a table all sulky, she probably looked sulky. But she knew Willow, and the redhead probably wanted to dance and have fun but she wasn’t up to it so why not get all that energy out while Oz is on break.

“Excuse me, would you like another drink?” a voice beside Buffy asked, she didn’t turn her head and was about to decline when she whipped her head around, “Are you a waiter? I never knew they had waiters here.”

The man with dark colored hair laughed as he replied, “No, I’m not. I just thought you might like another drink.” he pointed at her empty glass, “Just observing.”

She smiled at him in return, “No thank you. I’m fine,” and turned her head back staring out into room.

“Are you here, alone?” the man asked again.

Buffy looks back at him and saw him give her a very charming smile that she returned, “No. I’m with Oz and…” she trailed off trying to point to him where her companions could be found, “Well they’re somewhere there.”

“Oz? From Dingoes?” he asked intrigued.

“Yeah, do you know him.”

“Well… sort of friend of a friend.”

“Oh.”

“So, will you be going to the party later tonight?” Buffy just looked at him, face filled with amusement. “I just thought you’d be there since…” Buffy’s smile just broadened. “I’m Scott,” he introduced himself and offered a hand for her to shook which she took.

“Buffy, and I will be going to the party.”

“Great, I’ll see you there then?”

“Yeah.” Buffy replied as with a nod as Scott walked off and was lost in on the mass of people in the club.

“Hey, Buffy!” Willow came back, jumping to the music; “Oz is back to prepare for his next set. Did you have fun without me?” she asked rhetorically as she sat on the booth and took a sip of her coke. “Who was that guy?” she asked, curios who she saw talking with Buffy on her way back.

“Oh, nothing. Just some guy.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By the time Buffy, Willow and Oz arrived at the beach it was almost half past ten. The place was already filled with people, the center of the area had a big beautiful fire set up with big logs around to serve as sitting areas. The terrace of the beach house of what Buffy guessed must be Devon’s parents’ was filled with speakers and a stand where the DJ mixes different kinds of music. There were coolers of beer and sodas all around the beach ground. People were scattered everywhere, some by the fire, some by the cliff and other sitting by the shorelines.

A hand waved them over; it was Xander sitting on a log with Cordelia by the fire. “Hey Xand, Cordy!” Buffy greeted accordingly as they went over to them.

“Hiya, Buffyster, Willow, Oz.”

Willow and Buffy sat themselves on the log beside theirs; “I’ll just go and look for Devon, okay?” Oz announced as he gave the redhead a kiss and went on his way.

“So, you girls want something to drink?” Xander asked, raising from his seat.

“Diet Coke.”

“Diet Coke too.”

“I’ll go with you,” Willow offered leaving Cordelia and Buffy alone. Buffy rubbed her hands over the warm fire and heard Cordelia ask, “So, where’s Spike?” A little dazed she replied, “Huh?”

“William. Spike. Where is he? Is he coming?” she asked again accompanied with an eye roll.

“Oh…” Buffy nodded her head as she continued to rub her hands together, “He’s sort of not here.”

“Oh yeah,” she blinked her eye, “Xander said he’d be out on business. Sorry, I’ve been busy at the office. I forget.”

“Oh, that’s okay,” Buffy said with a thin smile. But truthfully it wasn’t okay, she was just beginning to forget about him, not that she can ever do that at least not completely. But she was able to block him from her mind for the time being, wanting to enjoy the night and worry about their ‘situation’ tomorrow. When Cordelia mentioned him, sadness filled her mind. She wished she hadn’t walked out on him last night, none of this would be happening if she just stayed and let him explain. But it wasn’t her fault; he was the one who didn’t tell her about Chicago and Drusilla, he was the one at fault. But he did give flowers… Buffy shook her head wanting to forget about the whole thing, she just gets more confused the more she thinks about it.

Cordelia saw the blonde a bit disoriented, ‘Oh my god, Stupid Cordy!” she cursed. “Oh, Buffy, I’m sorry. I- Xander told me about- I’m sorry, you probably don’t wanna talk about him.”

“Oh, it’s okay. Nothi-“

“Here are your drinks ladies,” Xander interrupted as he came up holding two cans of soda and a beer. “What were you talking about,” he hands them the tin cans.

“Nothing!” Buffy answers too fast, a little bit too fast.

“Oookay.”

“So, is there anything interesting to do here?” she asked changing the subject.

“You mean aside from getting drunk, making out and dancing all over the bloody beach, no” Xander answered with a smile.

Just hearing the word makes Buffy’s mind go all roller coastery and focused yet again on a certain bleach blonde, ‘he loves that expression.’

As her mind goes through the whole what if cycle, the three people by her side has started a very confusing debate, she has no idea how it started or what they were talking about so she just sat there listening to them yap on. ‘Willow seems to be winning…’

“Excuse me, Buffy?” she looked up to meet the face of that guy from the Bronze, ‘Oz, friend of a friend.’

“Hey, Scott right?”

He nodded, “Can’t believe you’re here.”

“I said I would be, didn’t I?” she said with a smile, ‘Are you flirting Buffy? Bad Buffy!’

They were interrupted by a series of coughs, “Oh, sorry,” Buff looked back at her friends and began introductions. “Scott, this is Willow, Cordelia and Xander. Guys, this is Scott.” They each give their own hi`s and hello`s.

‘He looks good, oh brown eyes, was he flirting with Buffy?’

‘Salty goodness!’

‘Scott? As William would say, poofter name.’

“Hey! So Buffy you having fun?”

“Umm, I just got here, but I guess the party’s okay. Not the rockin’ sockin’ kind but- it’s okay.” ‘Rockin’ sockin’? What the hell was that’ she cringed inwardly.

“Maybe you just need to explore more,” he suggested. “Why don’t you come with me, I’ll introduce you to some of the guys and… you know, we can have a look around try to get a feel of the place.”

“I don’t know, I’m with my friends,” Buffy politely declined.

“I’m sure they wouldn’t mind,” he encouraged. Buffy couldn’t say a word, Scott figured she was just embarrassed to leave her friends all by themselves, “Umm, guys is it okay if I maybe steal Buffy for a while. Wanna show her around.”

“Umm…” Willow looked at Buffy and replied with a smile, “Sure. Just bring her back in one piece.”

“Will do,” he raise his right hand as if he was pledging.

“I don’t know, Buff-“ Xander interjected, “Ow!” he exclaimed getting a kick from Cordelia, “I guess it’s okay, just be careful,” he told her eyeing Scott warily.

“Thanks guys.”

“Okay then” Scott offered his arm, “lets go.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back in Buffy’s apartment, ‘ring, ring.’

Buffy’s voice echoed from the machine, ‘sorry, I can’t come to the phone right now. I’m probably out. If you could leave a message after the beep, I promise to get back to you ASAP. Bye.’

‘Beep!’

“Hey, luv. Guess you’re not home, I just landed a few hours ago. Would have called you earlier but I thought I’ll get everything settled first. Anyway, Just thought maybe we could talk, never mind I’ll just call you again tomorrow. Goodnight...Umm…I miss you.’

to be continued...