Author: Aislynn

Disclaimer: It’s not mine all of it belongs to Joss, and Mutant Enemy. I just fell in love with characters from the very first episode.

Summary: Well sorry for the long delay in updates. But chapters are coming, and new characters and old characters will be introduced, and will be seen in the next few chapters. Again this will eventually be a Spuffy story but not just yet. For those of you who have reviewed, thanks I appreciate your comments so keep them coming, also I will take suggestions on plot though I may not use them I appreciate it all the same. All spells are ones I made up, and a few from episodes. Again I am not going to promise anything chapter to chapter because I keep changing things to suit the story as new ideas come into my head. It’s an AU the possibilities are endless.

Rating: NC-17

Chapter 6 – Surfacing

Elizabeth’s grip tightened on the bag she carried as she entered the floor leading home. Home how pathetic was she that this place was home. Tears began to form as she neared the door. She could feel them inside waiting the two of them, who over time had become her fucked up little family. Now here she was the prodigal daughter coming home baring her trophy of sorts to prove herself to Wolfram & Hart and make the two men inside proud of her.

Proud, the word made the bile rise in her throat at the thought of what she had done tonight. Under the cover of darkness she had slipped into that man’s house, she didn’t even know his name. While the couple had been preoccupied she had come upon the pair and knocked the woman unconscious, and the man had stared at her with wide shocked eyes. A second later she had separated him from his head. It had been easy, and that was what bothered her the most.

It shouldn’t have been easy tonight she had taken the life a human being not a demon and that should make a difference she should feel differently. It should have been different than any other mission she had performed for Wolfram & Hart but she hadn’t even paused as she took his head, and that simple little fact had made her stop by the side of the road several times to tonight to empty the contents of her stomach. Murder, tonight she had become a murderer no matter what reasons she had for killing the man tonight she had crossed a line, and she hadn’t even fought against it.

Lifting her gaze toward the door she reached up wiping away another tear, one of many she had shed since picking up the man’s head and heading out to her car. They wouldn’t be the last tears she shed tonight but she wasn’t going to shed any before the two men waiting for her inside. The tiny part of her that died tonight along with her victim and her tears were her burden to bear alone.

Wolfram & Hart Executive Floor

Lindsey watched his girl standing before the door looking like a lost lamb wiping away her tears. He reached out touching the screen wishing he could wipe away the tears. Until then he had never thought of the girl as anything but a tool to get him where he wanted to go. When he probed into her life as it was it was to assess how best to manage her progress not for any other reason. Tonight he watched her to see how she was after tonight’s event’s he needed to see for himself how she handled herself, he couldn’t trust anyone else’s assessment.

He watched her progress from the car to her lodgings and as he watched he found himself filled with emotions he hadn’t let himself indulge in for quite sometime. As he realized what he was doing he shoved those emotions aside because he made a choice when he found the girl, he chose to use her to get everything he wanted and nothing not even he would get in his way.

“Your appointment is here. Would you like me to stay late tonight?” A soft annoyed voice filled the silence breaking his train of thought bringing a genuine smile to his lips. Alice was his secretary and unlike men who made it to the top at his age she wasn’t a 20 year old blond, but a 55 year old human/demon female who protected him like lioness with her cubs.

No one could figure out why he chose Alice from the executive assistant pool when faced with a bevy of beauties, the simple reason loyalty. Within her brown eyes he had seen a woman who had been passed up by every executive before him, despite being the most qualified candidate. The fact that she could bench press a bus didn’t hurt either. Since the moment he made his choice known he had Alice’s absolute loyalty and she had his.

“No, and have a nice evening.” Lindsey glanced toward the door as he waited for his next pawn to enter his domain.


Wolfram & Hart

Elizabeth composed herself and opened the door, walking inside she didn’t even bother shutting the door in her wake. As she thought they were both waiting their expressions closed but she could feel their anxiety, and a hint of fear.

Walking forward she set the leather bag on the coffee table the contents wobbled for a second sending a shiver through her body, and her gaze fixed on Alec. His gaze never wavered to the bag remaining focused on her.

“It’s done.” Elizabeth was surprised at how even her voice was, she had to force herself not to look at the bag.

“Are you alright?” Derek asked not looking up his gaze focused on something else, but his entire being was focused on the slip of a girl before them.

“I am fine.” Elizabeth replied finally unable to take anymore. She could feel their probing with their senses and she had enough for tonight. “I am going to wash up. I will see you in the morning.”

Alec watched as Derek left the room silently following in Elizabeth’s wake. Getting up he walked to door and shut it, closing his eyes he leaned forward his forehead resting against the door. Tomorrow he was going to have to go to them and seek guidance he wasn’t sure if what he allowed to happen tonight would change things. It was getting harder and harder to serve the powers that be when he and Derek were living within the belly of their biggest competition.

Wolfram & Hart Executive Floor

Lindsey admired Lilah’s beauty as she walked inside the door as if she were somebody on the rise within the company. Just year or two ago she was a rising star within the company, now she wasn’t even on the radar for a position as a junior partner. Lilah was so determined to earn the Seniors Partners attention that she made mistake after mistake gaining her their attention only not in the way she intended.

“Call to gloat?” She asked prowling into the room rubbing her upper arm. “And you really should replace that dragon you call an assistant.”

“I see you tried to come in unannounced, Alice is very attentive in her duties, and you had an appointment you probably would have a broken bone or two if you hadn’t had one.” Lindsey smiled as Lilah glanced back at the door.

“Have a seat.” Lindsey replied. “I have a proposal for you one I think you will find you can’t refuse.”

“I don’t you help.” Lilah snarled even as she took a seat.

“Oh trust me you do, it seems your usefulness to Wolfram & Hart has come to an end.” Lindsey picked up a termination slip that at their company was quite literal and slid it across the desk. “That was issued this morning; it’s unsigned at the moment I was able to convince the partners that you do have something to offer them.”

Lilah picked up the paper not really believing it until she saw the document. At one time she had the authority to hand them out and the document in her hand was a living document once signed a special unit at the company was deployed to carry out the order.

“How did you convince them to delay the order, I don’t think that has ever been accomplished.” Lilah whispered she had been so close to death and hadn’t even realized it. Yet even after death she would still belong to the company it was within her contract.

“I was able to persuade them that I have an assignment that I you would be able to effectively carry out.” Lindsey tossed another file onto the desk. “As you file indicated you will do anything to get ahead, mind you this was before you disfavor with the higher ups but still it shows your potential. Would you care for a drink?”

Lindsey watched as he poured them both a strong stiff drink, even though she hadn’t answered he knew she would need it as he watched the blood rush from her face. The file she held was a case she worked on earlier in her career that actually had brought her to the Senior Partners attention in the first place.

“Even I have never sunk that low to reach my goal very few even have.” He murmured a handing her the glass he poured for her, “It was enough to earn you a reprieve given that you accept this assignment.”

Lilah barely heard him as she drug her mind out of the past during that time she would have done anything to get ahead and she had. Taking a sip of the drink she pushed those memories aside.

“What is the assignment?” She asked closing the file and setting it in her lap.

“You can keep that copy I have others.” Lindsey replied his gaze meeting hers. “It’s actually a reassignment to a new branch of Wolfram & Hart we are opening in Sunnydale.”

“Why would we open a branch in that hell hole?” Lilah asked taking a deeper mouthful of the liquid within her glass.

“Hell Mouth to be exact and its going to be a small branch just a few associates you included. And the reason is the Slayer is based in Sunnydale.”

“What one isn’t enough for you?” Lilah asked bitterly if she had thought of hijacking Slayer their roles would be reversed.

“Actually yes one is enough for us,” Lindsey replied chuckling softly. “You are actually going to monitor events in Sunnydale. Not too long ago the Master a vampire locked away escaped to begin the harvest. He succeeded in taking out a Slayer and was only sent back into the hell mouth by a vampire with a soul.” Lindsey sighed shaking his head.

“As you know the partners have their own apocalypse in the works and they don’t want any more surprises with the hell mouth. Due to this event we utilized the seers who have predicted several other potential apocalypses will happen at the hell mouth over the next few years. It is going to be your job to keep an eye on the Slayer, this vampire with a soul, and Sunnydale’s demon population and keep us informed of what is going on.”

“And what do I get?” Lilah asked always looking out for herself.

“You get to live what else could you want?” Lindsey smiled meeting her gaze he knew that would never be enough he had anticipated it.

“If I do this I want a partnership with full benefits, and to be assigned to the Slayer project.” Lilah replied meeting his gaze knowing she didn’t have a leg to stand on.

“Well I think that is manageable, I will have the contract written up.” Lindsey replied as Lilah stood up clutching the file to her chest. “Lilah one thing before you go.” Lindsey met her gaze. “If you betray or fail me in anyway your life is forefeight and belongs to me even after your passing and trust me you would rather let the partners take you now then get on my bad side.”

Lilah saw something within Lindsey’s eyes she had never seen before that sent a sliver of fear through her entire being. Before he had always been her rival now she realized just how far Lindsey had climbed on the ladder at Wolfram & Hart.


Sunnydale, Ca

Faith stood within the abandoned Church Angel’s arm slung over her shoulder, as she looked at the Spot where Spike and Dru were buried beneath the rubble.

It had taken her, Annabelle, and all her friends including Cordy to take him down time. She had come on her own her only thought of Angel, not really thinking she had walked right in without a plan. Luckily Annabelle thought better than to just follow her blindly thinking on her own the Slayer had gone to get Giles.

Without them she had no idea what would have happened. They had burst in just in time once again she found herself right where she didn’t want to be at Spike’s mercy.

Her friends tipped the scales once again, and she wondered how she ended having friends like them.