Disclaimer: Joss is the evil mastermind of Buffy and its characters so they don't belong to me.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Giles looked up and noticed everyone was staring at him, wide-eyed and waiting.

"Ok, Giles you're giving me the wiggins. Spit it out already." Buffy calmly said though her insides were twitching.

Spike realized Buffy had grabbed a hold of his shirt sleeve and held on tightly, her knuckles turning white. 'She must be really nervous or really scared', he thought.

"Buffy, this is astounding. Incredulous even. Maybe you should sit down."

"Giles, you're scaring me now. Just tell us, what did you find?."

Giles took off his glasses, but didn't start cleaning them, which in a way was a good sign.

"Well, I've been going over a few things this past week. The Thoroughgood Manual for one. He was a seer in ancient times, and he wrote about many possible prophecies. Not too different from Nostradamus."

Everyone shook their heads up and down once he compared the two seers.

"Just recently, I discovered a bit of interesting information. A former Watcher, Gustaf Kreiger, had ascertained some notable documents of which he wasn't supposed to have possession of. He accomplished decrypting the notes and writing it down in another language, I believe it was in Cherokee. A mate sent me the English version a few weeks back."

"Giles, please, I love you but get to the point." Buffy huffed a bit.

"Well, yes. Apparently Higher Members of the Council know that slayers, all slayers dna contain minute traces of a rare molecule. And even though vampires are unliving, they carry the same molecule. These findings resulted in the affirmation that slayers and vampires are linked genetically. The first slayer was born from a male vampire and a human female."

Buffy released a breath that she had been holding and Spike ended up sitting down, a little nervous of what else he was going to be told.

"Ok, I think I can handle that info," Buffy sighed. "What else you got?"

"There's no question that you and Spike were destined to have met and remain, um, on friendly terms. At first I thought it might be Angel it was referring to, because we already know he plays a vital part in the big apocalypse; he will become human."

Spike cringed. Lucky wanker.

Giles looked right at Spike. "I always thought you had a higher purpose, William."

"Bloody hell, he's calling me by my given name. Give it to me straight, Watcher." Spike ground out.

"Since you have a soul now, you are connected to the slayer mentally and apparently physically. That may be because you have shared more intimate, uh, moments with each other. It's almost a telepathic line though I don't think you can speak to each other telepathically…yet. There's more to the two of you than meets the eye. You both are very much alike in spirit, share a lot of the same traits, personalities are close. Probably why you argue constantly, but understand each other so well. Together, the two of you flow smoothly together when slaying, always knowing where the other is or what the other is about to do. Fit together like two separate pieces of a puzzle. I believe, Spike, you will also be a vital part in the coming apocalypse. I will research more. If you have questions, don't hesitate to come and ask me. I'll try my best to look them up."

Both Buffy and Spike turned and looked at one another. Spike cocked his head to the side, trying to read her. She looked surprised, amazed even, possibly fearful? He felt the same. So they were supposed to be a team. They were connected. A moment of giddiness trickled through him. Could mean something more…maybe.

Not too long after Giles' revelations, Spike wandered into the kitchen and noticed Buffy standing near the back door, peering out into the darkness. She was holding herself and he wasn't sure how to approach her.

"What's on your mind, Slayer?" Damn, he should have called her by her name instead of her title. Sounded so cold and callous that way. She wouldn't turn around.

"You mean you can't tell me?" Her reply was cutting.

"Well, I can probably guess. Amazement, disbelief, confusion, fear…why you?...why me in fact of the matter?"

She had turned to look at him while he spoke, crossing her arms defiantly across her chest.

"You know me so much better than I even know myself. I realize some things now. I've always understood the reason why I've been brought back here, back to the living both times, or three if you count almost dying from the gunshot wound. I have a purpose to fulfill, I've known that for a while. I also know why I went to you when I was brought back from heaven. It was a pull, like a magnetic pull. I felt safety in your presence. Didn't have to talk, didn't have to do anything, just be in your company and I felt safe and sheltered." Her voice softened. "I know I was wrong, starting the thing between us. We could have had something much more meaningful if I hadn't screwed…"

"Buffy, luv," Spike whispered, reaching out to place his hand along her cheek. She leaned into it, closing her eyes, a tear escaping. "I don't regret any of it. I love you so much and wouldn't trade the time we had together for nothing. Not even for this blasted soul I got."

Buffy reached out to him, leaning forward, head lowered, til her forehead rested on his chest, hands splayed across him next to her face. He enveloped her in a tender, loving embrace and she began to sob. He kissed the top of her head, inhaling her scent. It was a mutual understanding that they would be there for each other til the other perished or til the end of time.

Buffy's sobs came harder and Spike worriedly held on, stroking her hair gently.

"Breathe, Buffy. Everything has a purpose and all will be well. Now's probably not a good time to tell you that I'm leaving."

Buffy's head whipped up, her face wet and eyes burning a hole in him. She hissed.

"What?!"

"Just to my own place, moving out. Not very far away, I promise. Willy owes me one so he offered me his extra apartment near the bar. I help him out, he helps me. I think it will be better this way, us apart, since we're "connected" to each other. I want to be with you, and I hope you want to be with me."

"I do, just not…"

"I know, just not now. But eventually, right? If we take it slow?"

She smiled sweetly at him. "Yes, eventually and slow, I like. Just…give me a little bit more time, not much mind you. I'll let you know when I'm ready, I promise.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Another month passed by, the research still going strong. The coming apocalypse was drawing closer though none of them knew when it would hit exactly. Giles had come across tidbits of information that was helpful but the best of all lay hidden in a very ancient text he had "taken" when no one was looking. He wanted to read it aloud to the gang so he had them gather around the table at the Magic Box one evening.

"I wanted you all to hear this bit of information I have recently found. It reads, 'The battle to end all battles will be nigh and the chosen one, the one who bears the mark of the last slayer, will lead the world to triumph. The two named protectors will follow her way into battle, the Gaelic child to the left hand of the chosen one, the Saxon child to the right. The dark essences they carry will be overshadowed by the light within them. Both immortals will perish at the hands of the hellbeast, only to be born to the world again through their previous lives, to become and remain mortal.' I have deduced that the named protectors are Angel and…Spike. Angel's given name was Liam, an Irish form of William and the name William means 'to protect'." Giles slowly raised his eyes from the text and looked over at them all stopping his wandering gaze on Spike.

Spike shot up out of his seat as if everything hit him all at once and caused the chair he was sitting on to fall back with a loud smack. All heads turned in his direction. He released a breath, sounding a bit shaky, as he walked away from the table and the stares. Buffy glanced back at Giles and he shrugged his shoulders slowly, not knowing what to do or say. Buffy stood just as Spike turned back around to face them, running a trembling hand through his hair. He straightened up and stared at Buffy.

"Well, whatta ya know? I don't know…what to say really. Which, yes, I know is highly unusual for me."

"Are you going to be ok?" Buffy started to walk to him. She slipped her hand into his, not caring that everyone was now watching them.

"Yeah, it's just a lot of information to have to soak up. A little shaky right now, but it'll pass. I'll deal."

He headed to the back of the store, into the training room that was still set up with equipment. Buffy heard him mumble before he made it to the door.

"Bloody hell."

TBC