**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Time seemed to pass by quickly. It was spring in California and the Scoobs were still patrolling every night. New and different species of demons came and went; the hellmouth seemed to be actively pulling them into town, but the slayer was always there on her toes, prepared to deal with whatever came her way.

Spike, since he had moved into his own place, seemed to be drifting away from her and the others for some reason. She wasn't sure why or the reason behind his solitude. She visited him one day at his apartment and he seemed irritated that she came by.

"Spike, is there something wrong? You don't seem to be your usual self lately. Have I done something to make you mad, or someone else, one of the scoobies maybe?"

"No, I'm fine, just going through some things right now. Nothing to worry yourself about, nothing at all."

She walked up to him, placing her hand on his cheek gently but he pulled away slightly, he wouldn't even look at her. In fact he wore a pained expression on his face. She knew something was bothering him, but why wouldn't he tell her?

"Spike," she whispered. "Please tell me what's wrong. Maybe I can help."

Spike grabbed her forearms, and squeezed them.

"Buffy," he hissed. He loosened his grip, his head falling forward, touching hers.

"God, I love you so much." He let go of her and turned quickly. "Leave me, please. Just too much right now."

"But I don't want to leave."

"You have to, before…something…bad…"

"Spike, please." He looked over his shoulder at her and saw her eyes well up with tears just as his own did. She heard glass breaking and noticed blood dripping onto the floor at his feet.

"Please, go, Buffy. I'll be fine, luv and I will let you know when things are better. Just let me deal with this on my own."

She left without saying another word and he fell to his knees, sobbing hysterically.

"Bloody hell, just shut up," he screamed to no one in particular.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

She moped around day in and day out, but wouldn't tell anyone what was wrong. Dawn was getting worried about her big sister and asked Buffy where Spike was and why they didn't see him as much. Buffy would just shrug and leave it at that. Dawn didn't want to push, at least not just yet.

Giles thought that maybe Spike was dealing with the harsh reality of the upcoming apocalypse and what was supposed to happen. To become human after 125 years or so of being a vampire would be a rough transition. He proffered to Buffy an idea; let him struggle with the demon he was fighting. Soon, he would be back to a semblance of normality. If Spike told her he would seek her out when things were better with him, Giles was sure he would do just that. He could tell Buffy missed him desperately, though. Giles couldn't help with that. He could just try to take her mind off of it.

The following night, the gang went out to patrol and met Spike half way through the cemetery. He smiled and seemed jovial enough, like nothing had even happened with him the past month.

"What is this Spike? You don't call, you don't write. I thought maybe you dropped us like a bad date and left town for good," Xander piped in, jokingly.

"Had some personal issues to deal with. Didn't want to hassle you with my problems. Kept my distance because of it…Hey Buffy, how are you, luv?"

"I'm fine, and you seem to be doing fairly well." She was cold towards him. It didn't surprise him in the least. He thought she would be frigid what with their last meeting.

"Better, yeah. Thanks for your concern and I'm sorry if you got hurt. I just…didn't want you around to get hurt again. You understand, I hope?"

"Just wish you would have let me know some things. I could have…"

"No, you couldn't have, let's just leave it at that, luv. Hey bit. You look so grown up anymore." He had changed the subject quickly and Buffy noticed. She turned away to patrol as Spike and Dawn followed.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Spike had to woo his girl back, which he knew he probably would have had to do anyway, but Buffy was a softie when it came to Spike now and it didn't take too long for her to welcome him back to her open arms, and snuggles, and kisses and all the other mushy stuff that always went on between the two of them.

They trained on a daily basis. Buffy had missed the sparring with Spike; they always had fun, teasing each other and seeing who could get the upper hand by pinning the other down, trying new moves and bettering others. Dawn always liked watching them train to get pointers and learn some new tricks. At least she liked watching up until they got too playful.

Today, they were at the Magic Box, sparring in the training room. Spike was in his jeans and t-shirt, shoeless and sockless, Buffy in her normal workout attire. The two had been going at it for 45 minutes with Dawn standing in the doorway taking mental notes. Spike was smirking at the slayer, Buffy grinning at the vampire, giving him a come-hither look.

"Come on, baby, let's see whatcha got," she drawled out seductively. Spike placed the tip of his tongue under the top of his front teeth, momentarily causing her knees to go weak.

"All right…baby!"

Dawn rolled her eyes and turned away from the doorway.

"Giles, they're doing it again. Make 'em stop."

Spike chuckled evilly and lunged towards his girl. She feinted but he countered the feint. That surprised her and as he grabbed for her leg to knock her off balance, she swiftly jabbed her elbow into his chest, knocking him flat on his back. She stepped over him but before she pinned him down, he grabbed her feet and flipped her backwards off-balanced, himself springing forward and straddling her, pinning her arms above her head.

"Gothcha, slayer. My point."

"Don't think so…vampire." She snuck a leg up and flung him over her head, ending up on top.

"My point. We're even."

"Even." He growled and sat up quickly, holding her arms behind her. She surprisingly wasn't reluctant as he trailed kisses across her jaw line and down her neck tasting the sweat from their frisky play. She leaned into him causing them to fall back down on the mat in a moment of heated passion. Dawn walked in a few minutes later, standing with her hands on her hips, tapping her foot impatiently.

"I swear I will go get the hose. I will."

Buffy and Spike broke the passionate kiss and turned to look at Dawn, both smiling at the teenager.

"Why you two can't keep from tearing each other's clothes off when you’re sparring with each other."

Spike looked back at Buffy. "We're dancing. Always have been. Clothes are optional."

"Whatever, why don't you just get a room. Geesh. Did you get it out of your system? Cause I want to train, just with Buffy. I don't want to train with Spike until he cools down. Eww, that's just gross."

Spike chuckled at the young girl as Buffy got off of him and grabbed her towel and bottle of water. Spike scooted back on the mat to watch his two favorite girls train.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy and Spike were growing so much closer everyday. When slaying together, they flowed around one another, complimenting each other. He constantly told her he loved her in different ways, in different places, and telling her he would give her all the time in the world to voice her feelings about him. The passion that burned and engulfed them needed to be doused soon before one of them blew a gasket. They were having a hard time keeping hands to themselves and deemed it unsafe to be in a room together for too long lest one or the other advanced the kissing and fondling into a naked bout of wrestling. He made it known to her though that he wanted to know how she felt before proceeding any further.

Buffy was on the verge of being the one to advance it along. She planned on making her decision known to him soon as well as voicing her true feelings. The day she decided to tell him, they had got caught up in a moment of kissing. A few minutes into it, Spike grabbed his head, Buffy realizing he was in deep pain. She knew he had not hurt her, couldn't be the chip, so what was the problem?

"Spike, what's wrong?"

"Don't know. Hurts. Bad."

She began to rub his temples but he threw his arms up pushing her hands away forcefully.

"Stop," he hissed. "Let's just go get the others, go patrol."

He turned and walked out of the room, not once looking at her.

"Alright," she mumbled, a little worried of his outburst.

Patrolling went smoothly, nothing too nasty that they had to deal with. Buffy noticed Spike was like a killing machine butting in and striking demons down even if someone else was fighting it. She felt concern wash over her.

When they were finished and ready to head home, Buffy took Spike by the hand and pulled him away from the others.

"Feeling better?"

"Yeah, better. Sorry 'bout all that, luv."

"Will you come home with me tonight? I'd really like for you to stay with me. Got something I want to tell you."

Spike looked lovingly at her. "Oh you do, do you? I've got something to do, but leave your window open and I'll come by as soon as I'm finished."

"Can do. I'll see you later…baby."

"Ooh, there she goes with those pet names again." He smirked at her. "I'll see you later, luv." He pulled her to him and kissed her roughly.

"Oh, yeah, but not much later."

"Not much," he growled seductively as he reluctantly walked away.

Ten minutes later, Spike stood in the dark and dank school basement running his hand along the familiar wall. Suddenly, he grabbed his head, shutting his eyes tightly and wincing, doubled over in severe pain. He fell to his knees and as quickly as it started, the pain subsided. He looked around the room, tears pooling in his eyes.

"Everything is going to your plan, Master. Soon, very soon," he said huskily.

TBC