Title: Forget Me Not
Authors: The Kings of Mercia
Pattyanne
Hotliped Jen

Summary: A Round-Robin we cooked up. Just read it, okay?
Rating: NC-17
Feedback: Oh, yes...please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Chapter 1

(the Kings of Mercia)







Spike entered Buffy’s house via the backdoor, as usual. He had a four-pack of beer under his arm. He could hear music playing, and Tara walked into the kitchen with an empty bowl, to fill with more chips.



“Hi Spike!”



“Glinda!”



“It’s TARA”



“I know, just think Glinda suits you better, is all!”



Tara smiled and he winked at her, and put the beer down on the breakfast counter. “Hey, what do you think of these, pet? Do you think Buffy’ll like ‘em?”



From out of his pocket Spike took a small box, flipped it open to reveal a pair of delicately pretty silver filigree earrings. “I’ve kept the receipt, just in case, you know..”



“Oh, Spike, they’re lovely! She’ll love them, I’m sure!” Tara’s enthusiasm for the earrings was infectious, and she grinned at him – and he’d paid for them! – he’d got a receipt!



He quickly flipped the box closed and slipped it back in his pocket when they heard somebody coming.



“Oh, it’s you. Anya wondered where you were with the chips,” Xander said.



“Goodness – if she was THAT desperate for them, why didn’t she come and get them herself?” Tara grabbed a family sized bag and tore it open, then tipped the contents into the bowl, shoving it towards him.



Spike went and hung his duster up and then went into the lounge.



“Where’s the birthday girl then?”



“She won’t be a minute, she had to go up and change her top. Xander spilt his drink on her,” Willow explained.



“Pillock,” Spike muttered under his breath. It was only then that he noticed Xander was cracking open one of the beers he’d bought. “Oi, whelp....get your bleedin’ own will ya? – cheeky sod!”



Xander ignored him and drank deep as Buffy thundered back down stairs.



“Hey, all changed – Spike! You’re here!” Buffy said brightly.



“Happy Birthday, Pet…um, do you want your present now or...?" He put his hand in his pocket.



“Um...I think Willow said something about presents! Willow – Will... presents?”



“Oh, um..... yes, give it to me, I’ll put it on the table with the others. Now we're all here, you can open them, and then we have cake!”



Anya turned down the music and Buffy selected a parcel off the table and began to rip at the candy-striped paper.



“Oh, brilliant – thanks, Xander, Anya – I can play CDs in the kitchen now too!”



She didn’t take the portable CD/Tape/radio out of the box, but put it to one side and picked up another parcel.



“Thanks Will, Tara – I LOVE this bath stuff, it smells yummy enough to eat!”



Putting the basket of bath goodies back on the table, she selected Spike’s gift next, and looked a little awe-struck when she popped open the box.



“I’ve kept the receipt in case you want to change ‘em, pet – only the woman said something about don’t try them on if you don’t want them.... hygiene or something,” Spike said.



“Oh no, they’re beautiful! - I love them – thank you Spike!” Buffy gave him (much to Xander’s disgust) a kiss on the cheek and a hug. Tara grinned and mouthed ‘told you’ to Spike, and he grinned too.



“Come on, cards next…here open this one! It’s from England!” Tara handed Buffy a large cream envelope.



Buffy eagerly ripped it open and her eyes flashed with delight when she saw a check for $200.



“Ooh, thank you Giles! There are some boots I’ve had my eye on…. I’ll have to call and thank him – when can I call? – I never know if its still yesterday there or is it tomorrow already or the middle of the night....?"



“Ring him anytime – you won’t interrupt him doing anything exciting!” Spike quipped.



Buffy smiled. She was just about to open the second card, when the doorbell rang. “Who’s that? I’m not expecting anybody else..."



“You won’t find out until you answer it, pet."





Buffy opened the door to a deliveryman.



“Buffy Summers?”



“Yes."



“This is for you.” He handed her a plant pot; containing the weirdest looking plant she’d ever seen.



She closed the front door and carried in the strange plant. It had long succulent looking dark green leaves like a cactus, and papery purple flowers with three very large and powdery looking stamens sticking out of the middle. It gave off a funny smell, peppery, odd.



“Who in the hell sent you THAT?" Anya asked, wrinkling her nose.



“Don’t know, hold on, there’s a card – pooh – it’s a little…whiffy!” Buffy put the plant on top of the bookcase, and took the card out of the envelope. She scanned the card, and then frowned.



“To Buffy, Happy Birthday from Angel – EW! He usually sends me roses…I wish he'd...oh!” Buffy suddenly came over all light-headed, and she fainted.



“BUFFY!” Spike dashed forward, and he too suddenly felt light headed. He glanced at the plant, and saw it seemed to be giving off some sort of pungent powdery mist….



Spike landed in a heap on the floor, and was quickly followed by Xander, Anya, Willow and Tara, when they all had come forward to help their stricken friends.



Outside in the delivery van, the driver’s eyes glittered like a reptiles, having seen them all go down through the window, one after the other.



The real delivery driver had been bound and gagged, knocked unconscious and was now lying trussed up amongst the other flowers yet to be delivered in the back of the van.



The original bouquet of pink roses meant for Buffy had been thrown aside, but it had had the card ripped off, the very card that had been attached to the weird looking plant so as not to raise any suspicion.



Inside the van, a cell-phone rang.



“Is it done?”



Smiling, the driver shifted the van into gear and said, “Yes, oh mighty master, the deed is done,' as he drove away.

TBC:

(Next chapter up is by Jen