Spike took the others out into the now fading night and down the street. They moved silently along the quiet, narrow streets. The vampires, as well as Illyria, had all of their senses extended for anything that might be prowling around that would be dangerous for their human companions.

They crossed Kathmandu Dunbar Square where vendors where already beginning to gather and set up their goods for the day. The thin air was pungent with the smell of incense coming from the temples. Giles recognized the smell of hashish, as well. It reminded him of his youth, misspent with Ethan Rayne, often they had talked of the power that lay in Nepal. It was a deeply spiritual country, and while it was primary religion was Hinduism, there were many who practiced the black arts. Some even said the current King had cast a spell on his nephew, causing the twenty-nine year old crown prince, to shoot his entire family before turning the gun on himself. Giles didn't necessarily believe all that, but he knew that they were in a very dangerous part of the world. He paused to reflect briefly on the fact that he was trusting his life to two of the most vicious vampires in history and a demon older than time itself. He really was getting too old for all this.

Spike led them to a door set in the middle of a long stone wall. He knocked a few times and the a panel of the wood opened two reveal a large suspicious looking blood red eye.

"Tell your boss that Spike is here to see his establishment per his invitation." Spike spoke confidently. When there was no immediate activity behind the door, he leaned up close. "I'd get a move on if I were you mate. I know what your boss is like when he gets upset and making me have to wait will definitely upset him."

The wood slid back into place and they could hear something large shuffling off.

"Where exactly have you brought us?" Giles asked Spike, his irritation had everything to do with the unease he felt over this situation.

"Relax Watcher. This bloke used to be in my club once or twice a month. He always ran up a huge tab that we cleared up for him a time or two. He always said if I ever made it here I should look him up."

"What kind of guy is he?" Angel asked suspiciously. "I think we have enough people around us we can't trust right now, don't you?"

"Don't get your arse hairs in a knot, Peaches. I don't propose we trust this fella, I just thought we could get away from Shadow's eyes and ears."

"What if this guy works for him as well?" Giles persisted.

"I don't think its too likely. I think he's on the opposite side." Before Giles could ask Spike what he meant, the door opened and a large creature came out in flurry of colors.

"Spike!! What a surprise? Who are your friends? And where is your partner?" The creature was a head taller than Angel, his skin the color of blue chalk, long black hair flowed down his back almost to his knees contrasting with the bright colored silk clothing he wore. He resembled a human male in body shape, but no one could ever mistake him for a mere mortal. His face was so smooth and beautiful it seemed to be carved from marble, and the features were so refined they were almost feminine. There was also the matter of the two extra arms. When he spoke his voice was as smooth as his skin, and sounded almost musical. Dawn found herself captivated by him.

"Lorne is actually here with me in the city, but I think he's turned in for the night." Spike wondered though, only now realizing he hadn't seen the green skinned demon since the Rogues had arrived.

“Well, come in. What can I do for you? Would like some entertainment for you and your friends? Or maybe some companionship?” He asked as he led them across an ornate courtyard filled with religious statues and erotic carvings.

“We just need some place private we can sit and have a chat, enjoy a few drinks, mate. You always said your club offered those secluded little bungalows where your clients could meet and drink in private.”

“Of course. Please come with me.” They followed him to the back of the courtyard, and through a lush garden, where, in the middle, hidden by large sweet smelling trees, sat a large, octagonal building. “This is one of our nicest bungalows, we save it for important political leaders, or businessmen. I can guarantee you privacy.”

They stepped into the bungalow to find it lit brightly from ornate torches along the wall, their light reflecting off the walls made of a dark colored wood and polished to a brilliant sheen. In the center was a large table made from the same wood as the walls, surrounded by large plush cushions made from different shades of velvet. On top of the table sat a brass hookah, next to it was a tray with a pitcher and six blood red, crystal goblets.

Everyone seated themselves around the table on the cushions.

“Now what can I get you and your friends to drink? We have a very nice blood, taken from a virgin.” Giles eyes widened in shock.

“No thanks, I’ll just take a whiskey.” Spike said.

“I guess I’ll have the same.” Giles agreed. “I have a feeling I’ll need it.”

“I’ll take one too.” Angel requested.

“As you wish.”

”I’ll have a Coke.” Dawn said quietly.

”You are delightful, I must say.” Their host smiled, at Dawn causing her to blush profusely. “I would love to show you around Kathmandu while you are in the city.”

“I don’t think so, Henri.” Spike addressed him by name for the first time. “She belongs to me, and there is no way she is for sale.”

“Belongs to you!!!” Henri was surprised. “What does Raven have to say about this?”

Spike tightened his lips.

“OH!! I mean…,forgive me. I didn’t know, I meant know offense.” Henri stuttered, he made sure not to look in Dawn’s direction again. “Can I get you anything to drink?” He turned to Illyria.

“What is that smell?” She asked him pointing at the hookah.

“Why that is opium, some of the finest in the country. Would you like to try some? Please help yourself.”

“Yes. This is a drug humans use to alter their reality. I would like to see its effects on this shell”

”NO!!” Angel, Spike and Giles all said at the same time.

“Perhaps before we leave then.” Illyria amended her answer.

“I will leave you in private now.” Henri said with a smile.

They waited until he had left then Illyria stood up and walked around the bungalow they were in. She would stop every couple of feet, turn her head as if studying the wall in front of her before waving her hand and moving on. When she had made her way around the entire room she sat back down. “It is safe to speak now. We will be alerted if anyone approaches us.” She told them.

Spike began before anyone could ask him about his encounter with Buffy. “What did Whitebread have to say to Shadow?” He asked Giles.

“He was understandably upset. He told him that he would need time to get together the machinery he requested.”

“Do you really think he wanted to kill you?” Dawn asked.

Spike just raised one eyebrow at her. “He’s been itching to dust me since he figured out he wouldn’t be able to keep a handle on your sister.”

“But would he order Buffy killed too?” Angel wondered.

“Did he deny it?” Spike asked Giles.

“No he didn’t.”

“I thought he said he couldn’t give us any help because the American people were watching too closely.”

Again Giles answered. “He did tell us he couldn’t send us any aid, however, rumors have long circulated that there is a CIA base located here in Nepal. Supposedly they are training guerilla fighters.”

”Bloody Hell.” That was exactly the kind of thing he was worried about.

“What is it you’re thinking?” Giles asked him.

“I’m thinking we have the two biggest Evils on one side trying to kill us, while on the other side we have the American Government and in the middle we have the Rogues working for both of them. And not only that, they got us to pay them for the privilege of killing us.”

“I admit I don’t agree with their tactics, but surely…”

”I think Spike is right Giles.” Dawn interrupted him. “Well, I don’t know about working with the government, but I don’t think they’re on our side. That’s what I wanted to tell you. When that Jason guy was showing off his program I saw a document he already had translated. It looked to be from the same prophecy we are translating, but it wasn’t a part we have.”

“How could you tell?” Angel asked her.

“Well I recognized some of the symbols around the border, they are the same ones that are around the edges of the pages we have. Then when I got a closer look at the translation and I saw several references to the Warrior of Stone.”

“So they probably already know where it is.” Angel said thoughtfully.

“I think they already HAVE it.” Dawn said. “It would be such a great tactic. They get us to help them transport into Bhutan. They separate our strongest fighters and send you down into the tunnels to look for a vicious army, while the rest of the team basically is left unprotected. I mean how hard would it be to pick us all off like that.?

“Do you really think all three are working together, then?” Angel asked.

“I doubt it. Whatever faults he may have, Riley would not be a party to ending the world.”

“I don’t know Watcher, think about how well you could spread ‘peace and democracy’ if you had the backing of a ‘Thunder Dragon’.” Spike said. “I think it would be best if we assume that they are all working together.”

”Do you think Buffy is part of the plan to kill us?” Dawn asked in a small voice, her gaze was locked on Spike.

He sighed heavily. “I don’t know.” He told her.

“I think we’ll have to assume ‘yes’ on that, as well.” Angel said, his voice was cold.

Spike looked over at him sharply. “You let me worry about, Buffy.” He told his grandsire in a growl.

“Did you, er, speak with her, then?” Giles took off his glasses and started polishing them. He knew if he didn’t he would stare at the bite marks on Spike’s neck. What did those marks mean he wondered? Had Spike been able to get through to her?

“I spoke with her and she almost staked me for my trouble.” Spike shook his head. “Shadow was right about one thing, you need to let go of the worrying over the Slayer. All of us were so caught up in trying to find her that we almost walked completely blind into a trap. Now we need to figure a way out of it and still manage to save the world. It would be for the best, if you all start thinking of her as your enemy, instead of expecting her to be the same person she was.”

“And while we’re doing that exactly what are you going to be doing?” Angel asked him suspiciously.

Spike stared at Angel hard. “Disgusts you, doesn’t she, mate?”

Angel blinked. “What?”

“Ever since you came to my place, every time Buffy is mentioned you act like she would be better off dead. You seem disgusted by what’s happened to her and you act like it was her fault.”

”I know it wasn’t her fault. I’m just can’t believe she gave up that easily.”

“I thought we needed to be concentrating on getting out of this trap.” Dawn tried to get the vampires back on track.

“Someone is coming.” Illyria said suddenly and everyone quieted down as Henri opened the door, carrying a tray with their drinks. He quickly passed the men the glasses of whiskey they requested, before leaving the bottle on the table. He put Dawn’s glass of Coke in front of Spike, who passed it to her.

“Is there anything else I can bring you?” Dawn was glaring at Spike wondering why the blue skinned man suddenly would do anything but look at her.

“No thanks, we’re good.”

“Forgive me for prying, but I have heard rumors that you have sold your club. This isn’t true is it?”

”I’m afraid it is. I’ve gone back to a previous line of work.”

Henri looked confused, but Spike didn’t say anymore. Finally realizing he got all the information he was going to get out of the vampire Henri turned and left again.

Giles took control before Angel and Spike could start bickering again. “What do you propose we do about this situation then? Surely we can’t let them separate us knowing what we do.”

No one answered as everyone tried to consider the options.

“I have an idea.” Dawn said. “You’ll still need to split up, but you could leave Willow with the ground team. We can tell them that because of her experience with Buffy her magic will be burnt out for a while. Willow has friends out here in the Himalayas, she could call them in for help as they travel.”

“Dawn, its true Willow spent time here in this part of the world learning to control her powers, but I’m not sure what a monastery of Buddhist monks could do to help.” Giles answered her.

“What about a Buddhist Monks/Werewolf?” Giles looked surprised.

“You mean…?”

“Oz.” Angel answered for her.

“He lives with some monks somewhere in the Himalayas that are also a pack of werewolves. If we could get word to him maybe he could be the backup we are looking for.” Dawn told him

”Not a bad idea Nib, er, Dawn.” Spike corrected himself when she shot him a poisonous look. “If Red isn’t actually too burnt out to use her mojo to call him.”

”That covers the ground team, but what about us? We’ll be going in blind, miles from any civilization. For all we know they are going to offer us up to the Thunder Dragon’s army.”

“Once we arrive in the tunnels I should be able to get a sense of how things are set up. Also, if we can find one of the stones that he used to capture his excess power, I will be able to use that to help.” Illyria told them. There was silence as the humans and vampires around the table exchanged glances. “You don’t trust me to help you if I regain my full powers?” Illyria asked them.

“Its not that we don’t trust you.” Giles began.

“No, we don’t trust you.” Angel said at the same time. “You haven’t given us much reason to trust you.”

“Standing by your side and fighting the Wolf, Ram and Hart was not reason to trust me? Staying with you since then and helping your causes is not reason to trust me?” Illyria demanded of him.

“That has been since you lost your powers. If you still had them you would be searching for ways to enslave the world, wouldn’t you? Besides where else could you have gone?”

Illyria tilted her head and considered his words, it was easy to see she was angered by what Angel said.

“I trust you, Blue.” Spike said. Everyone, including Illyria looked at him in surprise.

“You trust her?” Angel demanded.

“Yeah.”

“Care to elaborate?” Angel persisted.

“No. At some point you have to make a decision on who you can and cannot trust and I think Blue will stand by us.” Illyria stared at Spike as if she could see right through him.

“You speak the truth.” She stated. “But you trust me because of your fondness for Fred.”

“Not exactly.” Spike said. “I know Fred is gone, I know you aren’t her, but there is enough of Fred inside you that I don’t think you would betray us.”

Illyria gave him a cold smile. “Your logic is hopelessly flawed, if that is the same logic you are applying to your Slayer then Shadow is right: She will kill you. The human emotions inside of her are so fragmented that she will not use them to make any decisions.”

”I know, but that doesn’t change some of the facts. And the fact remains the Slayer is MINE.”

Spike looked directly at Angel as he said this daring him to contradict him, but Angel was too amazed at his proclamation to say anything.

”What does that mean?” Dawn asked.

“It means, that no matter what happened to your sis or who she is now she is still the person I’m supposed to be with and I’m going to get her back no matter what it takes.”

“No matter what it takes?” Giles said. “What if that means you join her, with the Rogues? Do you then participate in the apocalypse?”

Spike just shook his head, again at a loss to explain the connection he felt to the Slayer. “No. It means that hopefully I will be able to get her away from all of this before it comes time for the apocalypse.”

“We need you here, Spike.” Angel told him.

“Yeah, but she needs me more.”

“I can’t believe you are willing to risk the end of the world, just to continue your obsession with my Slayer.” Giles said angrily.

“Oh please, this coming from the man who agreed to hire mercenaries just for the opportunity to see her!!!”

“Someone is coming.” Illyria said, but no one listened to her.

”Spike you’ve admitted it yourself, Buffy isn’t in there, no more than Fred is still inside Illyria.”

”But part of Fred is still inside Illyria, whether she wants to admit it or not.”

”Someone is coming.” Illyria said again, not focusing on the conversation around her instead focusing on the approaching creature.

“You are being foolish and single minded.” Giles insisted. “We need strong fighters by our side, we can’t afford to be distracted by Buffy.”

Spike looked at him incredulously. “Isn’t that what I said when we got here?”

“Well you should learn to take your own advice.”

The door opened and Henri entered quietly, but Spike didn’t notice him he was too worked up. “Listen to me, you lot haven’t been there for her for the past 8 years, you’ve all admitted it. Someone needs to be there for her, unconditionally and let her know that no matter what happens they are on her side. That someone should have been me, but I was too screwed up to know it, but now I’m back and nothing and no one is going to keep me away from her. Not some ‘shadow’ and certainly not some apocalypse. Do you understand me Watcher?” The last part came out as a growl and no one in the room doubted for a moment the sincerity of Spike’s words.

“Forgive my intrusion.” Henri’s quiet, smooth voice interrupted them, Spike looked at him startled to see him there.

“I tried to tell you.” Illyria said as she began to sniff at the hookah.

“Spike, may I have a word with you in private?”

“Anything you have to say you can say in front of them, mate.”

Henri hesitated. “I’m not sure, it has become known to me that you have enemies here in the city.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.” Spike muttered. “It all right. I can trust these folks.”

“I was just informed that you will be participating in my fight tournament tomorrow.” Henri said. Spike raised an eyebrow at him.

“Really?”

“Yes, I believe you are looking for ground transportation to take you into Bhutan.”

There were glances exchanged around the table. “That could be true.”

“Well I have access to such vehicles, but they are prizes to be won. You must best my combatants, in the arena before I will let them go.”

“I see, and you were told I would be the one entering this contest?”

“Yes, although the parties involved made it very clear that they had other fighters to enter the arena in the event of your demise.”

Spike snorted. “What did you tell them?” Spike asked.

“The same thing I will tell you. My tournament is, and always has been, a fair fight. I will not compromise that for anyone.”

“I understand.” Spike nodded. “Thank you for that.”

“There is no need for thanks. It is the way it has always been. Personally I look forward to seeing you fight, the skills of William the Bloody have long been legendary.”

Spike forced a smile on his face, remembering the ease with which Buffy was able to beat him. “Well, we’ll see what happens.”

“I will leave you again to your privacy. I did not mean to intrude, but I thought you should be aware.”

“Who approached you about this? Was it an English chap with blonde hair?”

“They sent a representative with a message, I’m not certain where it originated from. Would you like me to find out?”

”No, I pretty sure I know who sent it. Thanks for the heads up.”

”Certainly.” Henri again left.

“You aren’t actually considering going along with this?” Angel asked him.

Spike didn’t answer him, he felt exhaustion deep inside, both from the events of the evening and the emotional toll it had taken.

“Blue why don’t you light up that pipe. I have a feeling I’m going to need it to get some shut eye. Especially if I’m expected to fight tomorrow.” He handed her his lighter.

“I don’t think drugging yourself is the best plan right now.” Giles said.

“Oh you are smoking too Watcher. You need the rest more than I do, you look like shit. Besides, we already know when they are planning on trying to kill me. No reason to assume they’ll attempt anything before then.”

He picked up one of the mouth pieces attached to a tube leading back to the hookah and handed it to Giles. Giles looked at it for a moment, before he took it begrudingly. “Oh what the hell,” He muttered before taking a hit.

The sky was now turning into a shade of pink as they made their way back to the house. Next to Spike, Angel started humming quietly to himself.

Spike turned to him. “What is with you and that Cat Stevens song? I mean I thought Barry Manilow was bad, but this..” He asked his grandsire.

“At least it has a melody, Spike. What musical talent did Sid Vicious have?”

Dawn turned back to look at them from where she and Illyria were helping Giles, who had all but passed out. “Guys, save it for inside the house. We don’t need you two frying because you stayed out until daylight debating music while high on opiates!!”

The two resumed their walk to the house their walk to the house as they got lost in their own thoughts.

Once they reached their impromptu home Dawn and Illyria walked Giles up to his room and put him in bed. They were just turning to leave the room when he began to speak.

“Life is never what you imagine is it?” They both turned surprised. Giles’ eyes were open, but unfocused as he stared out the ceiling. “I can’t help, but think of all the mistakes I’ve made in the past. I’ve tried to make them all right, but some things you just can’t repair. I wonder if this is how Angel feels?”

“Giles, it isn’t your fault we’re in this situation. This is just the drugs talking.” Dawn scolded him gently. “That’s why Nancy Reagan says ‘Just say no’. Not that I really remember that.” Dawn knew she was babbling, but she didn’t really know what to say.

Giles had been like a father figure to Dawn. Actually he was the closest thing to a father she had ever really known. All of her memories of her ‘real’ father were just images created by monks. The man lying before had been the one who had been their since her creation. It was hard for her to see him hurting and in doubt. He was always the one who seemed so certain and in control.

“If I had known, what being the Slayer would do…” Giles voice trailed off slightly. “If I had known the pain it would cause her, I would have taken her as far away from the Hellmouth as possible. I never wanted…” Tears gathered in the corners of his eyes. “I failed her.” He finished in a whisper.

At that moment Dawn had an epiphany, it could have possibly been caused in part to the opium smoke she had inhaled just by being in the room, but suddenly things became very clear to her. She felt as if she grew up in that moment. She realized that she needed to be strong for the people around her. All of them were struggling right now, as much as she was, and they needed and they would need each other to make it through this. She couldn’t waste her time wallowing in her own self-pity.

“Giles, you can’t blame yourself for what’s happened. Besides, Buffy was lucky to have you for a Watcher. Not only were you her teacher and her trainer, but you were like her father and she knew how much you cared about her.”

Giles eyes focused in on Dawn and he seemed to remember himself. “Thank you, Dawn.” He told her sadly with a small smile, acknowledging her attempt to ease his conscience, if not actually doing so.

Dawn leaned over and kissed him on the forehead lightly. “I still think of you as my father.” She said quietly before leaving the room.

The tears in the corners of Giles’ eye brimmed over. He forgot Illyria was still in the room until she spoke. “There is sickness inside of you.”

Giles closed his eyes. “I suspected as much, which is why I haven’t gone to the doctor.” He told her.

Illyria studied him for a few moments. “It is unwise for you to continue this journey, you will probably die sooner if you go on.”

“They need me. You are not to tell any of them.”

Illyria approached him and leaned in close to him. “You are like Wesley, you will die fighting for what’s right and it won’t make any difference.”

Giles smiled at her, and looked at her with sympathy. “You miss him terribly don’t you?”

Her eyes widened and she quickly left the room, leaving Giles to try and let go of his guilt enough to get some sleep.

Meanwhile Angel and Spike had climbed the stairs to the second floor. Spike found his things, still sitting at the end of the hall, where he had dropped them in his flight down the stairs.

“The room on the other side of me is empty.” Angel told him. He waited for Spike to make another comment about his music, but he just nodded at him as he collected his things and walked to the door. He turned to Angel before walking inside.

“Did you ever consider taking Dru and I with you?” Spike asked him. “When you ran out on us after the soul, did you ever even consider it?”

“No, I didn’t think you would want to come with me.”

”Oh, I wouldn’t have, but Dru would have followed you into a bonfire. Soul or no, it wouldn’t have mattered to her, she would have just been happy being with you. I probably could have tolerated you better if you weren’t torturing me all the time, too.”

“You would have never stopped killing, Spike. I couldn’t have put up with that.”

“The point is you never even tried. You were so certain we would let you down you just didn’t even try.”

Angel didn’t know what to say to him, he couldn’t believe Spike of all people was lecturing him on his responsibilities. Towards him and Dru, no less.

“With the soul or without you are still the most arrogant son of a bitch? That’s why you left Buffy the first time, because you were afraid she couldn’t measure up to your expectations of her. She was starting to lose the magical shine that pure innocent love has. Once the day to day routine settles and you find out that underneath the angel was a regular girl, you left. That’s why she disgusts you now, you put her on such a high pedestal. The star crossed romance, the true love.” Spike mimicked him.

“You don’t know anything about it.” Angel began.

“And I am the fool who keeps trying to imitate you. I did when I was just a fledgeling and here I am doing it again. That’s why I never tracked her down, I was trying to be like you. I thought to really love her, I had to put her on that pedestal and worship her from afar. I was so busy trying to build trying to compete with you for her in being the better person, I forgot about her. She was everything and somehow I forgot that.”

“I get it why you feel disgusted by her and why you are so angry with her, I do.” Spike continued. “I was mad at her for giving up, for letting them beat her, but then I realized, she wasn’t beaten, she still survived. Even though she was different she was still Buffy. Her demon recognized me, and not just as family. I could feel it, feel her.”

Spike looked at Angel sharply. “She felt your disgust for her, she may not be full vamp, but make no mistake she is family and she knew what you felt towards her. You rejected her again, that’s why she attacked you.”

“How do you know that? She was out of her mind. Besides, Buffy rejected me long before that. It wasn’t me she wanted Spike.”

As quickly as it came the fight went out of Spike. His shoulders sagged and he turned back towards the door. “You need to learn to trust in people Angelus and let go of some of your expectations of them. It might go a long way towards reconciling that soul of yours with your demon.”

Spike opened up the door and went inside. Angel entered his room and picked up his cell phone. He listened to the ringing on the other end, he honestly had no idea what time it was where he was calling. After about 15 rings a sleepy voice picked up on the other end. “Hello?”

”Conner.” There was a silence, then Conner answered him.

“Apocalypse time again?” He asked him.

“How did you guess?”

“That’s the only time I ever hear from you, then you disappear and I don’t know if you’ve made it until the next one.”

Angel winced at the resigned tone in his voice. “This time it’s a bit different.” Angel took a deep breath. “I need your help.”

Even thousands of miles away Angel was certain he could picture the look of surprise on his son’s face. He was surprised with the immediate response.
“What can I do?”

A/N Sorry it took so long,I started reading about Nepal and it took much longer than I thought. Thank you so much to everyone for all the feedback, it is very appreciated. And thank you to those people that helped get my web site up, its still not perfect, but your suggestions have helped make it better.
Up Next: Spuffy dreaming