Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Ok, I’m sorry this chapter took so long to get out, but as you can see it got kind of involved. I know there isn’t too much Spuffy but, I am starting to get into all the subplots and the meat of the story.

I have completely butchered some Hindu religious figures in this chapter, although I tried to be as factual as possible. I mean no disrespect with the changes I made.

My references on Hinduism were:
The A to Z of Hinduism/Bruce M. Sullivan and
Encyclopedic Dictionary of Hinduism: Its Mythology, Religion, History, Literature and Pantheon/edited by Subodh Kapoor.
Both books published by Vedams Press in New Delhi, India.
Thanks to my buddy Jess who is in Pune, India right now and managed to feed my obsession with the Eastern religions.

As always, thank you so much for all the nice reviews comments and e-mails.
I am going to stop updating this story on a couple of archive sites due to lack of time and response (AFF and probably Fanfiction.net). It just doesn’t make sense to keep posting it someplace where nobody wants to read it. For anyone who has been following on these sites you can find this and my other stories at B/S Central, House of Bloodshed, B/S Diaries, The Spuffy Realm and of course my website (www.kyrasdreaming.com). Updates for all my stories are going to be more regular from now on, probably about once a week, usually on the weekends.

Thank you for your time and interest and please drop me a note or leave a review and let me know what you think about this one.
Thanks,
Kyra
Buffy stood on the mezzanine looking down at the fight below her. All around her people sat at tables and chairs set close to the high metal fence that ran up to the ceiling, keeping the onlookers from interfering with the fights in a anyway. Below the mezzanine was stadium style seating were the general public was seated; the mezzanine was reserved for the rich and powerful.

Beside Buffy, stood the Japanese girls, Giles, Illyria, & Angel talking to the club’s owner Henri; Shadow stood to the other side of her. Giles and the others were talking amongst themselves as they watched the fight.

Spike stood on one side of the caged arena, he was shirtless, his uniform of black jeans was replaced with a loose fitting pair of pants that were apparently standard issue for anyone participating in the fights, who needed some sort of clothing. Across from him, was his competitor, Andhaka.

Andhaka was nothing more than a skeleton, but he had a wicked looking sword and some of the bones protruding from his body were filed into sharp points. So far the fight had been pretty one sided, Spike unsure of how to damage to a skeleton, and having no weapons, was limited in his means of attack. Andhaka had managed to land several blows with his sword and also managed to stab Spike in the side with one of his barbed elbows.

“Why was he the one who had to do this?” Raven asked, trying not to let her worry show.

“He volunteered.” Angel commented dryly. Both he and Giles had tried to talk Spike out of volunteering for this when Shadow had ‘explained’ that this was the only way to get the vehicles they needed to get their mission started, but Spike had been adamant. Even the fact that not even Shadow seemed to want him to fight now dissuaded him.

Spike had pointed out to them later that whether this fight was a set up or not he needed the practice to hone his skills before they got out into the field and couldn’t hold his own. Buffy’s comments had bothered him a lot more than he was willing to let on. He was actually ashamed at how badly he had let himself go while he was living his normal little life.

Andhaka started swinging his sword expertly. He spun and twirled the blade moving closer to the vampire who was tensed, looking for an opening of some sort. When he got close enough Spike rolled and tried to come up behind Mr. Bones, but the demon was faster and once again struck Spike with his sword. This time a line of blood formed across his chest.

“We need to get him out there.” Raven said. “He’s going to get himself killed.”

Buffy looked over at her in disbelief. “Are you kidding me? You obviously have no idea what Spike is capable of, he hasn’t even gotten started yet.” Raven didn’t answer her, but she did glare at her hatefully. Buffy responded by smiling at her winningly the other girl looked away in disgust, back down at the fight.

As if to prove Buffy’s assertation, Spike chose that moment to change into his demon guise. He let out a growl and then launched himself at Andhaka, knocking the sword from his hand. Spike had a hold of one arm so he could get stabbed again from and elbow. He used his strength to crush the bones under his hand. Soon enough he ripped the entire arm from Andhaka’s body.

Without his sword and missing an arm, the demon’s fighting skills were severely impaired. Spike kept moving keeping him off balance; whenever there was an opening he dove in and crushed another bone off of its body.

Finally starting to find a rhythm and enjoy himself, Spike started in with the comments that usually accompanied his fights.

“Well we know what the wrist bone was connected to. Let’s go for the hip bone next.” After he said this he lunged forward and snapped Andhaka’s femur. The demon fell to the floor. The crowd went wild, everyone was on their feet cheering loudly. Spike made a graceful bow, before he turned and looked upwards. His eyes didn’t even have to search for her, sensing exactly where she was. He met Buffy’s eyes and with a triumphant smirk he gave her a little two-fingered salute, still in his demon face.

“Your steadfast admirer.” Shadow commented.

“You aren’t jealous are you?” Buffy asked lightly, but her eyes never left the vampire below her.

“Are relationship isn’t based on thing such as jealousy.” Shadow answered. “I am however concerned about you allowing him to have the access he does.”

Buffy finally looked away from Spike to look at Shadow. “You think he means me harm?” She asked, genuinely curious. After the years she spent working with him, she had come to respect Shadows instincts.

Shadow hesitated before answering, if he lied and told her he did suspect him of wanting to harm her, she would probably catch him on it. “Whether or not he means to, you are giving him far too large of an opportunity.” He decided to be noncommittal. “Remember what happened with the other one.” Shadow leaned his head indicating Angel. “What would happen if he were to find out all of the skeletons in your closet?”

Buffy tightened her lips as she thought on what Shadow said. “You’re right. She admitted, but I’m not letting him get too close.”

“I’m sure you know what’s best for you.” Shadow said out loud. Inside he was cursing. He hoped his father had indeed found a way to destroy the vampire.

“How many more battles are there until we have won?” Illyria asked.

“Only five more.” Henri answered behind them. “Here comes the next challenger now.”

They all looked down to see a large misshapen form slide into the arena. It had no legs, several tentacles for arms and three eyes around its body so it could see from almost any angle. Spike watched it warily for a second, and then held up the blade he had taken from the previous fighter. Without wasting anymore time, he was in the air, the blade twisting and turning. When he landed again, he looked back at the creature as it slowly slid apart from the deep slashes he made in it. Again the crowd roared as it jumped to his feet.

“Four more, now.” Henri said.


Spike defeated his next four challengers with the same amount of ease. After every victory he continued his ritual of saluting Buffy.

The crowd didn’t even bother to sit back down for the last two fights, but remained on their feet cheering his name. Even Henri stood through the last battle, watching the action below intently.

“I had always been told his fighting skills were amazing, but I never really believed.” Henri murmured more to himself than anyone in particular.

“I knew he was good, but I didn’t know he was that good.” Rave said.

“I did.” Buffy couldn’t help but drive that point home again. She really didn’t know why she felt the need to antagonize the Japanese girl. It wasn’t as if the girl were some kind of threat to her.

When Spike finished off the last fight, Henri descended into the arena to announce him the winner.

“For the first time in several years, we have a new champion, William the Bloody, a vampire from the line of Aurelius. For his winning he has chosen the Saracen ACP, assault vehicle and the Damler Ferret. Everyone else may now collect their winnings at the booths in the main lobby. Thank you all for coming.” The crowd cheered as Henri and Spike left the arena together.

“You did wonderfully my friend.” Henri practically gushed as they entered into the locker room area that was provided for the fighters. “I was slightly worried when you were fighting Andhaka, but then it was like someone flipped on a switch and you were just tearing him apart.”

“He was the hardest one, but once I figured out how to hurt him, it was a breeze.” Spike grabbed a towel and headed towards one of the showers. “What kind of demon was he anyway?” He yelled over the now running water.

“Andhaka was the son of Shiva and Parvati, he was created from a drop of his father’s and mother’s combined sweat. He was born blind.”

“Really?” Spike said.

“Yes, he was actually almost a cousin to me because he was raised by my uncle, Hiranyaksha.”

Spike finished washing off and cleaning his wounds. He turned off the water and wrapped the towel around his waist. “Sorry, about that, Mate. I didn’t mean to kill your family.”

“Oh, you didn’t kill him.” Henri said. Spike looked at him surprised. “He can’t be killed.” Henri continued. “Long ago he prayed to Lord Brahma, he did not eat or drink for millions of years, chopping off his body parts and offering it to the sacrificial fire until there was no more meat on his body. Then Lord Brahma came and offered him a boon. Andhaka asked that his sight be returned to him and that gods, demons, and humans could not kill him. Even the great Vishnu could not kill him. The only way he can die is if he ever desires to marry a woman who is like a mother to him.”

“That’s one hell of a boon.”

“Yes, many of my family have been granted such boons. My father cannot be killed on Earth or in space, by fire or water, during the day or night, either inside or outside and not by the hand of a human, god, animal or any other animate or inanimate species.”

”Bloody hell, that’s quite a gift. Must be handy fellow to have around, your father.” Spike commented as he began to get dressed.

“I have not seen him in several millennia. He seeks my death because of my loyalty to Lord Vishnu. My father believes himself to be the supreme lord of the universe. I changed my name and my appearance to help hide from him.”

“I have the same situation in my family.” Spike said with a chuckle, thinking of Angelus. Spike pulled on his jeans and T-shirt. “So what happens now?”

”Now we have a feast to celebrate your victory and then we discuss the terms of your rewards.”

“Sounds good to me.” Spike said as they walked out of the locker room area to find the others gathered and waiting for him. “Everyone up for a bit of a party? Celebrate the fact I avoided certain death, AGAIN?” Spike was almost dancing around them by this point and he made sure to say the ‘again’ part quite loud in Shadow’s ear.

“We really should get back and continue to research…” Giles began.

“Bollocks.” Spike interrupted him. “This fella here,” he said pointing at Henri. “Knows some big wigs in the Hindu hierarchy, you can probably learn just as much about the way things work in this part of the world by asking him.”

“Really?” Giles’ curiosity was peaked. “Well, I wouldn’t say no to a good meal.”

Spike walked up to Buffy. “How ‘bout it, luv? You were the one to help get me in shape for this, want to have a seat next to the guest of honor?” He grinned at her.

She just rolled his eyes. “At least we know you ego survived intact.” Spike’s grinned widened. “I’ll take that as a yes.” He offered her his arm and she surprised both of them by taking it. The group followed Henri out of the fight club area and into the lush garden that Spike and the others had been in the night before. This reminded Spike of something else.

“Henri, do me a favor and keep your magic pipe to yourself tonight, ok?” Henri grinned back at the vampire.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. I had enough crazy dreams last night to last me a few lifetimes.” He said, shooting a look over at Buffy, but she didn’t react at all.


Dawn sat next to Willow, talking softly to her. She had relieved Xander and Helena when she couldn’t take anymore of Jason’s know-it-all attitude. He would probably get along real well with Andrew. The two of them could sit there and debate about movies and comic books and other things like that.

The last argument that he had felt the need to pull her into had finally driven Dawn upstairs seeking refuge. Dawn blamed herself for starting the whole thing, she should have known better than to ask any questions.

When he had rebooted his computer a message had flashed up on the screen saying ‘The Tangent Universe collapsed 1304 days, 16 hours and 26 minutes ago.’

“What’s that mean?” Dawn asked worried about what that meant.

“It’s only from one of the best movies of all time.” Jason had told sanctimoniously. “Donnie Darko.” He added at her blank look. “And I liked it way before it was ‘cool’ to like it.” He always felt the need to make the ditto motions with his hands when he talked.

“The movie with the scary bunny costume? That movie didn’t make any sense.”

”It made sense you just have to be intelligent enough to understand it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, it’s so simple.”

“Explain it to me then.” Dawn demanded.

”You can’t explain it to someone, you either get it or you don’t.” He said.

“Well I guess I just don’t get it then.”

”That’s probably why it takes you so long to translate things.” Jason said, he sounded like he pitied her. Dawn decided it was best to walk away then before she smashed his laptop over his head.

The others had already left for the fight club. Dawn was still angry at Spike for volunteering himself as the sacrificial lamb. Why that stupid vampire would jump at the chance to get himself killed was beyond her. She made a point to tell him if he died she would personally call his spirit back and make him do her bidding for all eternity. He had just smiled, gave her a quick hug and told her not to worry.

Like that was even an option.

Not knowing what else to do with herself she wandered upstairs to see if there was any change in Willow. She found Xander and Helena involved in a conversation that looked awfully flirty to her eyes. She offered to watch Willow for a while if they wanted to go out and get some food; the only requirement was that they bring her back something. They left not long after that and she had been sitting here since then, by her watch about three hours had gone by.

“Hey, Will. Are you sure you don’t want to wake up? You’ve been out for almost twenty-four hours now. People are starting to get worried.” She told the red haired witch gently as she stroked her hair.

She snatched her hand back when a whimper escaped Willow. She looked nervously at the pot of tea Helena had left in case Willow began crying in her sleep again. Dawn hated to give it to her if she was actually waking up though.

While Dawn’s eyes were focused on the teapot Willow’s eyes shot open and she sat up quickly. Dawn was so surprised by the sudden movement she fell backwards off the bed and onto the floor.

“Goddess.” Willow cried. “Buffy what have you done?” She cried out as tears began to course down her face again. Dawn didn’t know what to say, she just stared up at her in shock.


On the outskirts of the city, where there happened to be more monkeys than humans, Pixie landed in a moonlit garden that had been abandoned for years and become wild with neglect. She knelt down by a pool that had the moon captured in its reflection. She said some words in an ancient language. Had anyone been around to hear her they would have noticed the words she spoke sounded a lot like Celtic.

The pool began to glow with a silver light and a blurry figure took shape in its center.

“You have a report?” An imperious female’s voice asked.

”Yes. Things are beginning to move along quite quickly now.” She said.

“Any indications as to which side will emerge victorious?” The woman asked.

“It’s still too early to tell. I can report that the First Evil has taken it upon itself to destroy the vampire I told you about.”

”Do we know what his role is yet?”

“He is in love with the Slayer; I think they fear he can change her destiny.”

“Do you believe him able to do such a thing?”

“I don’t know. Love is a powerful force, but the so are the other forces at work.”

“I see.” The woman thought for a moment. “Do nothing at this time, but observe and keep reporting. We don’t want to involve ourselves in this matter unless it becomes necessary.”

“I understand.” Pixie nodded.

“If it does become necessary, then heaven above help the mortal realm.” The woman said and then she was gone.


The meal, while comprised of foods that they weren’t really used to, was actually quite tasty and filling to the Americans. The wine was flowing freely and Henri had dancers on the floor in front of them performing for their entertainment. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. Spike even managed to get a real smile out of Buffy at one point. Shadow was the only one who didn’t appear happy with the situation. He picked at the food and kept a close eye on Spike and Buffy.

Giles and Henri were at the far end of the table in deep conversation. Spike was hoping that Giles wasn’t being too annoying with all his bloody questions.

“That was a nice move.” Buffy’s comment caused Spike to focus again on the dancers before him.

It was a man and woman, both dressed similar, their dance looked more like a simulated fight than the other dances had. As the music progressed so did the vigor with which they fought. Spike agreed with Buffy though, they did have a great grasp on the basic fighting moves.

The more he watched the more Spike didn’t see the two dancers, instead it was he and Buffy he saw on the floor, coming together again and again, as if they were under some sort of magnetic pull.

Spike wanted to reach out and touch the woman next to him, try to initiate some kind of physical contact with her. He had been craving her touch since he finished the battle, but watching the now borderline erotic show before him, the craving was overpowering. He was just reaching for her hand when Shadow stepped between them.

“I don’t mean to interrupt everyone’s fun, but it almost dawn and we should see about heading back.” He reached out his hand to Buffy who took it obediently.

Rage boiled up in Spike and he fought the growl that wanted to break free from his throat. Instead he stood up quickly.

“I imagine you two want to get back and get in some quality shagging time.” He said angrily. “I’ll just head out now, if it’s all the same to you.” He walked across the room and out the door. He heard Raven running after him, but didn’t slow his pace.

“Are you all right?”

“Fine.” He said through gritted teeth.

“Are you just going to let her go then?”

”Should I force her to leave with me instead?” He growled.

“No, but you could give her the option.”

Spike shook his head and just moved on into the night. Raven could do nothing, but stand there and watch him go.

“Stubborn vampire.” She muttered.

Spike moved back towards the house, in a fog. He kept replaying the day over in his mind, from his awakening by Illyria, to his training with Buffy, to the fight club itself. However, that was just a distraction. He could still see the dancers moving sinuously on the floor and he could still imagine it was them out there.

God, he forgot how all encompassing it was to love this woman and how frustrating it was that she couldn’t feel the connection between them.

A loud scraping noise distracted him from his thoughts. He turned towards the source and found himself face to face with a large man, carrying a long sword.

“Do you yield to me?” The man asked him.

“Who the bloody hell are you?” Spike asked.

“I am Hiranyakashipu. I am the supreme lord of the universe, bow down to me now and I will spare your life.”

“You have got to be kidding me.” Spike said.

“You refuse me?” The man’s eyes narrowed and he started moving closer to Spike. “Then I was told correctly, you side with Vishnu to thwart my rule.”

“I don’t have any idea what the hell you are talking about.” Spike said, as the man moved forward Spike could sense a power in him. It felt similar to Henri, but it was much stronger. “You’re Henri’s father aren’t you?” Spike asked. He began to get worried, remembering what Henri had told him about his Father’s immortality conditions.

The man stopped and considered. “You know my son? You know Prahlada?”

Spike shook his head. “No, must’ve been my bad. The fella I’m talking about goes by Henri.”

“You side with my son against me?” He roared at Spike lifting his blade and running at him.