Buffy had an awareness, it was not quite her own, she was now merged with Spike's awareness. This was what the demon Skip had mentioned would happen. She could hear Spike talking to her in her mind as if it was utterly normal. Not quite sure about the way things were going, Buffy gave a mental shrug and opened herself up to it. Spike marveled at the sensations flying through him, he could hear Buffy talking, well rambling, as clear as day although he knew that her mouth hadn't moved. He watched Buffy and felt herself relax into it. Amazed, that she would give in so completely to this was truly something. He had never felt so alive in his own body and never as close to someone else as he did now.

*Hey, poet boy, I really think that we should work on getting out of here.* Buffy’s voice echoed through Spike's mind, her words making him flush slightly with his recently acquired blood. She smiled softly then gestured for him to say something.

*Right then, out you say, well how about this?*

Maggie watched the pair half in fear and half in fascination; they were just standing there now, as if they were doing something that no one else could see. She could not comprehend what was happening, this vampire was not doing what normal vampires did and from what she knew about slayers, this girl was not following her ideas about them either. And to top it all of, there seemed to be something, well if she believed in higher powers, she would have said mystical happening to the two.

Maggie was brought out of her thoughts by movement in the cell, she focused enough just in time to see the pair smile, then raise a foot each, and effectually sidekick the reinforced glass, which was enhanced electrically, and smash their way through as if it was nothing. Maggie slumped against the far wall in fear and shock, determined not to cower as the girl approached her.

*Bitch* Buffy leaned menacingly over Maggie Walsh, fury apparent in her features.

*Luv, she can’t hear you, you have to talk normally* at Buffy’s sheepish look Spike chuckled.

“What in Hell do you think your doing? It’s not enough that you torture demons that you have to fuck with me and mine?” Buffy barely contained her fury behind clenched teeth as she spoke.

“What are you?” Maggie spluttered in response.

“What am I? Your worst fucking nightmare. Now get up, your coming with us or you die here, your choice.” Buffy waited expectantly, mumbling to herself.

“No not enough that I was going to help you, but you had to go and mess with my mate, well that’s it. I’m sick of this shit, and just wait till I get my hands on Riley. Spike you know your chip doesn’t work any more, how do you fancy a snack?” This last part was obviously addressed to him, and he could feel the anger coming off of Buffy in waves, Lord she was beautiful.

“I know the chips doesn’t work Luv, not since we bonded but I think your pal’s might have something to say about you feeding me humans, even if it is that wanker.” Spike smiled gently at her knowing that she didn’t really mean it.

“What are you talking about? What is this bonding, why doesn’t your behavioral modification implant work anymore?” Maggie let the string of questions free; she was confused and understood none of this.

Both Buffy and Spike ignored her as they were walking down the corridor, Buffy pulling the professor along by the arm. The attack came as Buffy expected it would, as they rounded a corner they came face to face with about twelve initiative soldiers. Buffy let it be known in thought that she didn’t want Spike to kill anyone unless he absolutely had to; they were after all just dogs bodies. Spike nodded and the fight began.

Between the two of them the fight was over in minutes, in confined quarters the soldiers were reduced to hand to hand, as using weapons might result in killing more off their own. Spike shook his head and smiled slightly, twelve to two, hardly a fair fight, poor sods. Glancing around at the unconscious bodies that littered the floor Spike swore.

“Buffy, the bitch is gone; she must have run of in the fight.” Spike said referring to Professor Walsh, he waited for Buffy to go nuts but all she did was smile.

“Not important, now, let’s get out of here. Sunnydale isn’t big enough to hide her forever and I mean to personally blow this lab sky high. Come on.” Buffy didn’t wait for an answer before taking of again.

The rest of the way out was deserted which gave Buffy a happy but made Spike instantly suspicious. The exited the below complex through a vent, which opened into an upstairs room in the Lowell Fraternity house. As Buffy and Spike made their way down the stairs they tried to act calm in case they came across any other non initiative students. They walked unhindered to the main door and pulled it open. As they stepped out Spike’s senses went into over drive, causing Buffy’s to go nuts as well.

The commando’s seemed to pour from everywhere.

Giles and the rest of the gang watched behind bushes as Buffy and Spike unexpectedly walked from the fraternity house that they were watching. He watched in horror as masses of soldiers appeared and tried to surround them. Well they had come here to storm the castle as it were, and this was no different. Buffy needed their help and he was damned if he’d let anything happen to the girl he loved as a daughter or her wayward vampire mate. Giles reasoned that Buffy would not survive if Spike died, but he knew that even if she did survive his death physically she would never survive it emotionally. So that was that.

He whispered quick instructions to the gang and then he and Xander stood in clear view and began shouting to get Buffy’s attention. Buffy heard the frantic shouts and took advantage of the distraction that Giles was making and began kicking ass. Being bonded with Spike had its useful points she thought because there was no need to signal. Spike knew exactly what she thought and exactly what to do. He joined the fight the second Buffy started it.

*Buffy, pet, you have to get to Giles. Go, I’ll cover you.* Spikes thoughts eased through Buffy’s mind.

*No way, I thought we covered this, I’m not leaving you.* Buffy thought stubbornly back.

*For fuck sake, they have guns! Do you understand that? I can take a few bullets, you can’t* Spike said bluntly and then he used he’s only weapon with her.

*I love you, if you feel anything for me you’ll go, because if you die it will destroy me!*

Buffy knew that it wasn’t fair what he was doing but she knew what he was saying was true.

*Ok, I’m going but if you let anything happen to you, I swear I will come in to Hell, drag your ass out of it and make the rest of your after life miserable!*

Spike chuckled at her response, but was greatly relieved that she had agreed. After a silent count they turned the fight to the direction that Giles and they gang were. At the first opening Buffy dashed through and ran like hell.

She moved so fast Spike watched out of the corner of his eye, taking on many of the commandos with kicks and punches. Many of them were down and littered the floor. Buffy and he together were a power to reckon with, but they had only done so well because the soldiers hadn’t used their weapons. A burst of loud bangs echoed through the night, it brought Spike back to reality and Buffy to the floor.

Buffy felt a flash of burning through her stomach as she neared the gang. She looked up to see a look of horror on Giles face only to be followed by a loud scream that echoed around her. That was Spike, she though clumsily, why was Spike screaming. Her legs buckled beneath her and she hit the floor. She wasn’t sure why her legs had stopped working. She watched through tinted vision as Giles picked her up and carried her somewhere.

Spike had been watching her, he had seen as she faltered and had seen her fall to the ground. He had felt the pain that lanced through her and he knew, she had been shot. A primal fury swept through Spike, as he reached out to the ones who had done this. He heard a few mutterings among the boys that thought they were men.

“…….no way man, I didn’t sign up for this……”

“….she’s just a girl…..”

“…….is she dead?........”

Giles and Willow were trying to stop the bleeding; Tara was preparing a spell she thought might help and Anya sat, shocked as she looked at Buffy. Xander watched Spike as he totally lost it, he saw Spike literally tear his way through the commandos that hadn’t backed of when Buffy had been shot.

Xander watched as Spike walked calmly through the crowd of few people, breaking necks if the got to close, but mostly just getting them out of the way. He felt a flash of sympathy for those who got in Spike’s way but them he looked at Buffy lying on the ground, bleeding. And the anger came.

All Spike saw was Buffy’s tiny body on the floor, he could smell her blood. A bit closer and he would hear her heartbeat. As he closed the distance he fell to his knees at her side, lifted his head a screamed. It was a scream full of anguish. With all the attention on Buffy no one noticed a lone figure approaching them. The first anyone knew anything was up was another loud bang and a spray of blood as a bullet ripped through Spike’s chest. Spikes back arched as the Bullet ripped through him but didn’t get up he stayed kneeling before Buffy. Another round fired, and Spikes back arched again, more blood sprayed and still he didn’t move.

Riley was behind Spike now, about a pace away. He watched happily as the rest of the gang let him do this, he was happy that they agreed with him and Spike had to die. The thought that they were terrified by a lunatic with a gun never entered his head.

Spike was vaguely aware that someone was behind him, he felt cold hard metal pushed against the back of his head and couldn’t bring himself to care. He could hear Buffy’s heartbeat begin to slow. He had lost that precious link with her mind, so what did anything else matter? Another crack echoed through the night and the darkness took him.