Xander stared at his trembling hands, then at the body on the floor, then back at the gun that was in his hands.
He had shot Riley. His legs buckled as the reality hit him, he had killed someone. But in a moment of defiance over the guilt he thought of the few seconds before he had pulled the trigger.

Spike had been kneeling next to Buffy’s limp body, blood tinged tears were streaming down his face as he cried in what Xander could only describe as anguish. Then there had been the bang and the spray of blood as a bullet passed through Spikes chest. Twice it happened, and Spike barely blinked.

Then Riley had casually wandered closer and pointed the gun at the back of Spikes head. Xander had stared at the vampire, stared at the exit wounds in Spike’s chest and he knew that vampire didn’t care about living, not without Buffy. Xander had raised the gun he had brought with him, aimed and shot. The shot hit Riley in the chest, taking him of his feet on onto the ground behind him. From there he never moved again.

Xander shook his head, looking away from the body and turned to look at Spike. For a moment fear ran wild, spike was slumped over Buffy’s body.

Had he been too late? Had Riley got a shot off?


At closer inspection of Spike he sighed in relief, there were no new gaping holes. Xander breathed a sigh of release as he figured that Spike must have just passed out.

“You did what you had to.” The voice of Willow was accompanied by her hand squeezing his arm reassuringly. Xander breathed in a small relief when he looked around and saw that all of the other soldiers seemed to have magically vanished. Good old initiative.

Before he had a chance to reply Giles spoke.

“We must get them to a hospital now.” Giles looked stricken and Xander knew that can’t be good.

A brilliant light flashed in front of them, smoke clouding their vision.

“Hi, I’m Skip, your friendly messenger.” Skip coughed and waved the smoke away with a hand. He chuckled when the redheaded girl nearly fell over trying to back away from him.

“Oh, come on, Buffy didn’t tell you about me? I’m hurt.” Skip held his chest in mock injury.

“Er yes, she mentioned you. It’s just you’re a little more…. demonic than I expected.” It was Giles who answered him, the rest of the gang were still staring.

“I know, I know. It’s the horns, isn’t it? By the way you might want to move Spike of off Buffy body. He’s bleeding into her, and while I think she’d make a fantastic vampire I’m not sure your ready for that yet.” Skip was gesturing at the two limp forms on the floor.

“That’s impossible; any blood will just be pushed out with her flowing blood.” Giles answered quickly.

“Vampire blood is thicker than human, trust me it’ll sink…” he watched while Willow gently moved Spike’s body to the floor.

“…some changes may already occur but she won’t be a member of the undead, so no worries right? Anyway the point of why I’m here, I’m going to help you, I will take Buffy to the hospital but you have to sort out Spike, got it?”

Giles cut the demon off.
“You’re not taking her anywhere, we can manage thank you.” Giles clipped tones echoed in the night, he didn’t care who this demon said he was there was no way he was letting him take Buffy.

“Okay, so she is going to die in about two minute’s, what exactly can you manage? You can keep here alive? You can get her to the hospital in a fraction of a second? Oh please, be my guest.” Skip took a step back and motioned Giles to lead the way.

Giles stared at the demon incredulously.

“Damn, I hate humans, your always so mistrusting. Why couldn’t I have got a nice hell dimension?” skip broke off looking up to the sky, he cocked his ear as if listening, then began nodding.

“Enough dawdling, I have to take her, now. Or I’m in deep with the powers. You deal with Spike, I’ll wake him up but he’s gonna need blood and fast. In a few hours he’ll go nuts, so will Buffy. They need physical contact. Let them have it.” Skip wandered forward to where Buffy was laying, he picked her up gently and in the blink of an eye he was gone.

Spike tried to open his eye’s and closed them again quickly as he felt his body spasm in pain, emotional as well as physical. Buffy, she had been shot. He heard muffled voice’s around him but couldn’t make them out.

“Giles give me something sharp.” At the questioning look he received he Xander asked roughly.

“What? Do any of you want to do it? Besides I don’t mind. Did you see what he did for Buffy? Did you even hear the way he screamed when she got shot?” Xander took the offered knife and braced himself before sliding it over his wrist. He winced as the pain flashed, but ignored it. He held his dripping wrist in front of the vampire’s face and spoke.

“Come on Spike, this is a one time deal. And like you said I’m a nummy treat.” He smiled a bit at the last.

Spike could smell blood; he opened his eyes and came face to face with the whelp’s bleeding wrist. His body took over as he shifted into his demonic visage, but he looked at the whelps face and seeing him nod once he reached out and pulled the boy’s arm to his mouth.

Anya came to sit next to Xander rubbing his other arm in silent support and smoothing his hair when he winced as Spike sunk his fangs into his wrist.

“I am really proud of you, I’m sure Buffy will be as well, you really came through.” Anya patted his arm in reassurance.

“Anya I killed Riley!” Xander got it out in one breath secretly hoping that it might not be true.

“Damn, I would have shot him if I had the gun, Xander he was going to shoot Spike in the head, I don’t think vampires can survive that, you saved Buffy’s life by saving Spike’s. Any one would have done it but it just happened to be you who had the gun.” Anya knew that he must have felt guilty so she tried as best she could to explain it.

“Am I going to prison?” it came out as a whisper.

“I doubt it, you think the initiative want that sort of publicity, besides if Riley had killed Buffy do you think that he would go to prison?” Anya reasoned. Seeing Xander starting to pale and swoon a little she spoke to Spike.

“Hey Spike I think that’s enough, I’d like Xander to be alive too.” She softened the comment by smiling.

Spike withdrew his fangs and looked apologetically at Xander; Xander shrugged in return then fainted.

Anya checked Xander to make sure he was okay, then spoke to Spike again.

“Do you need some more? I don’t mind donating?” She looked pointedly at the vampire who nodded slightly; he was still weak, being so close to death and being weakened by Buffy’s loss of blood as well.

Willow moved a bit closer offering Anya the knife, everyone had just been staring while Spike had fed on Xander, mostly to stunned to do anything else. Willow looked surprised when Anya refused the knife by shaking her head.

“No, we’ll do it the old fashioned way. It’s been a while since I’ve been bitten and it’s kind of nice so while Buffy’s not here and Xander is out cold I may as well take advantage.” Anya chuckled at the horrified look on Willow’s face but continued to kneel down in front of Spike with her back to him.

Spike moved to a kneeling position with his back flush against Anya’s he smoothed her hair out of the way and leaned forward and placed a chaste kiss over her jugular. Then he used his fangs to gently pierce the flesh on her neck.

Willow stared at the two, watching in fascination at the expressions covering the ex-demon’s face. Yep, Anya was definitely enjoying it. After what seemed like only a few minutes, Spike eased his fangs out and began to lick the small wounds.

“I don’t know if I would say I was jealous, but now I feel like I’m missing out on something.” Willow addressed the two of them when she spoke.

Anya chuckled. “It isn’t as horrible as you might think, well yeah it is when there trying to kill you but a normal blood letting, can be really, really nice, especially if there’s sex involved.”

Willow’s face flamed as she thought about it and this time Spike chuckled.

“Thank you Anya, and no you can’t start pimping me out.” Spike was still chuckling as Willow’s face grew even more flushed.

“Now if you don’t mindwhere the hell is Buffy? Just point me in the right direction.” The contact in his mind was getting stronger, but still not strong enough for him to find her on his own. Spike stood only wincing a little at his chest wounds.

“Not so fast Spike.” Giles answered. “You have to be patched up, other wise you’re just going to let out all that blood you’ve just had from the two gaping holes in your chest. Buffy will be fine I’m sure, your demon friend Skip showed up, he has taken Buffy to the hospital.”

Spike could only nod grudgingly as he was gathered up and lead of to Giles’ car. Xander stared at the body of Riley Finn of the ground as they walked off.

******

Buffy woke again disorientated. She felt a bit weak and was surprised to find herself in a hospital. She was just about to push the alarm button to call the nurse when a guy stepped out of the shadows.

“Hey Cutie pie, you gave us quite a fright. How you feeling?” the guy spoke as if he’d known Buffy her whole life.

“Who the fuck are you?” Buffy practically growled at him.

“Like I said a few changes, Giles is going to love the new you, unfortunately it won’t last too long.” The guy chuckled again before melting into the visage of Skip.

“Sorry, but the horns freak the Doctors out. Anyway, your in the hospital if you didn’t guess already. All the details I’ll leave to your friends, I just waited around to see if your ok, which you are so I’m gonna go. See you around.” And with that he vanished.

********

Spike paced listlessly around Joyce’s front room, he couldn’t help it. Giles had taken the gang there to be patched up and to let Joyce know what had happened. She had gone hysterical at first knowing that Buffy had been shot but was calmed by Spikes reassurances that her daughter was ok.

“Giles, can we go and get her?” Spike asked for about the thousandth time.

“Spike, the hospital said they’d call.” Giles gave the same answer every time the vampire asked.

“Giles. Please.” Spike’s voice was almost a whisper. “I need her.”

The phone rang and Joyce practically ran to answer it.
“Hello?” Joyce asked quickly.

“Hello Mrs. Summers, this is the Sunnydale emergency room, please don’t panic your daughter’s fine, if a little bad tempered, but we can’t get her to settle, she keeps demanding a spike? Well contact with a spike? I was just wondering what a spike is and do you have one.”

Joyce laughed at the request and answered.
“As a matter of fact I do. We’ll be there in ten minutes.