Spike had to hold himself back from massacring the entire room when Giles told him that he should wait at the house and they would collect Buffy from the hospital. He started to protest, but Giles cut him off telling him that they wouldn’t be long and he didn’t want anything strange happening at the hospital.

He was however greatly surprised and oddly grateful when Xander offered to wait with him. They waved their Goodbyes and Spike refrained from growling and asked them to hurry. Once the door was shut he turned on Xander.

“What’s this about then?” he watched Xander sigh and sit down on the sofa.

“I killed Riley.” Xander waited for onslaught.

“Thank you.” Spike simply replied.

“What do you mean ‘Thank you’. Spike I killed someone! A human. Someone that I knew.” Xander railed at the nonchalant vampire.

“What do you want me say whelp? That you’re going to burn in hell? I seriously doubt it. You saved my life and you saved Buffy’s life, I’m not sorry about what you’ve done.” At Xander’s miserable look spike sighed heavily before speaking again.

“I can’t help you with any guilt you feel, I would have snapped that wanker’s neck faster than you can blink if he threatened Buffy in any way. Or any one of you lot for that matter. Xander, he was a fruitcake, he was so full of drugs, I doubt that he was in control of his actions, at the end he would have killed Buffy and you know it.” Spike ran a hand through his hair.

“How do you know he was on drugs and why didn’t you say anything.” Xander demanded.

“I could smell them and would you have believed me if I had told you?” the vampire demanded back.

Xander fell silent, both of them knowing the answer.

It was a few minutes before Xander spoke again.

“Come on; let’s go get Buffy’s room ready.”

“Ready for what?” Spike questioned.

“For you, oh evil one.” Xander answered with a smirk and Spike still had hope for the boy yet.

“For me? What do you mean?” Spike answered slightly confused.

“Well skip said that you’d need physical contact, so what with you both needing to rest, I thought the best place would be in her room. Hence we get it ready for you, you curtains and stuff so you don’t fry in the morning.” Xander explained patiently using a voice that he would use with a five year old.

Spike chuckled and gestured for Xander to lead the way. After the room alterations were complete, the two of them headed downstairs. Xander kept raising his head and opening his mouth but then closing it and looking away.

“Ask it. Whatever it is, bloody ask it.” Spike growled, his patience wearing thin.

“It’s just you and Buffy, I just don’t understand how she can….with you.” Xander trailed off, shaking his head.

“It’s not about me though is it? It’s not the fact that she’s with me that bothers you, it’s because she’s not with you. All the years you’ve known her and now she’s fucking a vampire instead of you.” Spike shrugged at Xander’s flushed face, knowing he had hit a nerve.

“So fuck her, if she’ll let you. But you know that you’ll lose them both, don’t you. Buffy will do it, if she thinks it’s important enough, but after? You’ll drift apart and you’ll lose each other. And Anya? How would you feel if she fucked someone else? You won’t have her either. So is it worth it?” Spike spoke quietly but clearly.

Xander ran a hand through his hair, shocked at Spike being so blunt, and the reality of Spike putting everything into perspective.

“I don’t know Spike, how I feel or what I want. Everything’s so confusing. One thing I know is that I don’t want to lose Anya.” Xander looked miserable.

“Anya’s a cracking bird, she’s upfront and honest. I think you’re lucky that you found her and she wants to be with you.” Spike let the honesty in his voice ring clear.

“I know, I think I love her. But in some ways I have loved Buffy from the moment I saw her.” Xander was honest, more honest about this issue than he had ever been.

“Same as me mate; of course I thought it was just an overwhelming desire to kill her.” Spike chuckled at the memory.

“See. That’s what I don’t get, you’re a vampire. You have tried to kill us all many times, and okay, after tonight I’ll admit that you love her. But the vampire thing sticks in my head.” Xander tried to make himself understood.

“I’m a vampire and she’s a slayer, aside from the fact that she couldn’t have a normal relationship with a human, she’s not a normal girl, and she has power. And she needs someone that can match that. If you think about it, it makes sense. But because of you lot, she’s ashamed that she is attracted to vampires. You make her feel as if she isn’t normal.” Spike couldn’t disguise all of the disgust in his voice.

Xander shook his head as what Spike said sunk in, he still couldn’t understand but things were beginning to clear a bit. Xander was brought out of his thoughts as a blur of black and blond flew out of the room and down the stairs. He stood up and followed, hearing the sound of and engine dying in the drive way.

Spike flung open the door and Buffy launched herself into his arms. They both winced in pain as their injuries were strained. Spike lifted Buffy off the floor, kissing her hard. Buffy took the opportunity and wrapped her legs around his waist.

Giles looked a bit flushed as her closed the door behind himself, Joyce and the rest of the Scoobies.

Spike revelled in the feel of the woman he loved finally being in his arms. He backed Buffy against a wall and continued to kiss her thoroughly. The contact of their skin soothing each other. He caught fragments of images that were flashing through Buffy’s mind. Mainly the one with him drinking from her affected him.

Spike growled and Buffy let her legs fall from his waist. Spike slipped down the line of her body as Buffy ripped the remains of her tattered shirt open revealing her wound which was trickling blood from the strain. Buffy peeled back the bandage and closed her eyes, sighing happily to herself.

Giles watched horrified from the couch as his slayer exposed a bleeding wound and offered herself to a vampire.

Xander watched in morbid fascination as Spike, from his kneeling position, extended his tongue and licked the trail of blood up Buffy’s stomach as if he was licking melted ice cream off a cone. He looked to the others and saw they were having pretty much the same reaction.

Spike savoured the taste of her blood; he licked a line up Buffy’s stomach and around the wound, careful not to cause her pain. He was surprised when Buffy pulled him away by his hair and backed him into the wall. She pulled at his shirt, exposing his own wounds and began tracing them with her tongue.

Giles was horrified all over again and tried to intercept.

“Buffy, I don’t think….” He was cut of as Buffy swung her head around to face him, her eye’s flashing. Then she growled.

Spike, knew in a far corner of his mind that this was causing a problem. So he rectified the situation. He pulled Buffy up and kissed her again. He lifted her off the floor and when she wrapped her legs around his waist again, he turned and carried her up the stairs.

Everyone sat in silence until Anya spoke.

“Xander, I’d like to go home and have sex now.” And with that she grabbed his hand and pulled him out the door.

Willow and Tara giggled but said nothing. They stood and waved their goodbyes before leaving.

“Giles, what is going on?” Joyce spoke clearly but the worry in her voice was apparent.

“When they were injured, there was a transfer of blood, from Spike to Buffy; I was told it would have some temporary side effects. I think we have just witnessed them.” Giles sighed.

“What sort of side effects? And what do they think that they’re going to do up there?” Joyce was getting angry.

“Buffy has inherited some vampiric attributes, they won’t last. Also Joyce, as much as it pains me to say this, leave them be. This is part of the bonding, they need to have physical contact and I believe any sort of intervention will be met with hostility. They will be fine tomorrow and you will have the chance to talk to them then.” Giles reassured Joyce as much as he could and tried to block out the noises that were coming from upstairs.