Buffy stared at Xander's face, he was livid. She gave a mental sigh. She had to settle this once and for all or it was going to be a major problem. She bent down and pulled a knife out of her boot, since she had bonded with Spike she had taken to carrying other weapons, she refused to believe it was because her new need for violence. Protection she told herself.


She walked slowly to the gang and stopped in front of Anya, she sent Anya an apologetic look hoping that she would understand what she was about to do, Anya looked puzzled but gave a tiny nod.


Buffy raised the knife and prepared to strike Anya.


"Buffy, what are you doing?" Xander practically screamed and rushed to intercept.


"I have to kill her." Buffy spoke confidently.


"What are you talking about?" Xander stared at her as if she was crazy.


"She deserves to die, she's killed thousands of people, well men anyway." Buffy's voice was still confident.


"That was before, she's not evil anymore, she's changed, she helps us now." Xander was bordering on hysterical.


"But she didn't change out of choice, she was stuck as a human and had to adapt." Buffy looked at Xander pointedly.


"It doesn't matter how it happened, she's good now and I love her!" Xander nearly screamed.


"Okay, now you listen to what you've just said. And I mean really listen to it Xander." Buffy reached her hand out behind her, beckoning for Spike to join her.


"That's why you did this? To make a point? You attacked Anya! And it's different Spike tortured his victims." Xander looked as if he was about to stamp his foot.


Buffy turned to Spike and spoke.


"Have you ever eviscerated someone? Have you ever made someone's intestines explode." To all of the things she asked Spike just shook his head.


"Anya had way more fun with her victims than Spike ever did, and 1100 years of it to boot.
And if you lamely say to me that Spike has tried to kill us so help me I will slap you, so has Anya, ok it was an alternate reality but it still would have been our lives if she hadn't of lost her necklace." Buffy saw Xander about to speak but cut him off.


"I'm only going to say this once Xander so listen carefully. I don't care about what Anya did, because I like her and I have enough respect to understand that you love her. Now your problem is that you don't like Spike. You have no respect for me and my feelings, you don't care that I love him, all you care about is the fact that YOU don't like him, well you don't have to like him your not in this relationship. Now if you can't get over it, your no use to me, because understand this, he is my mate and anyone who harms him will die." Buffy let it be known that she was serious. Xander didn't say anything he just nodded and turned around and left.


Anya gave Buffy a quick hug and whispered
"I understand now, and I like you too." And with that she was out the door and after her boyfriend.


Spike pulled Buffy into a tight embraced and soothed when she started to cry.


"Sshhh love, he'll come round." Spike whispered.


"He's my best friend and I don't understand why he's like this, I was harsh I know but if I didn't do this now there will come a day when I'll need him and I need to know that he'll come through for me." Buffy wiped at her face.


Giles sat and watched the scene play out, he had to admit it, Buffy and Spike seemed to be very at ease with each other, apart from the sex in the bathroom debacle, maybe that was a little to easy with each other. He shook the thoughts away, he still needed answers.


Willow and Tara said that they had to leave, they said their goodbyes and hugged Buffy comforting her on Xander too and left. Then it was just the three of them.


Buffy sat with Spike on the chair and it reminded Giles of Willow's spell. He smiled slightly before speaking.


"Now that we have a chance to talk, I'd like to know exactly how this is going to effect the two of you. Buffy, what has changed with you?" Giles asked.


"Nothing has changed that much, I have more strength and speed, so I really have to be careful with things, I can't even afford to pay for the things I've already broke. I can feel Vampire's before they raise but unfortunately I have seem to have developed a nasty streak, I pulled one out of it's grave because it wasn't getting out fast enough for me to kill it." Buffy cast her eye's down.


"It's a need for violence, she's got that from me I'm afraid." Spike explained to Gile's.


Giles said nothing, just waited for them to continue.


"Emotionally, Spike and I are pretty close, I can feel his bloodlust." Buffy looked at her mate and smiled reassuringly.


"I'm sorry Love, I didn't know that." Spike couldn't help the flash of guilt, but Buffy reached out and held his hand.


"And obviously any strong emotion is shared or transferred onto the other." Buffy blushed thinking about the bathroom incident.


"Ahh, well that explains... A lot." Giles spoke hurriedly, then turned his attention to Spike.


"And what of you Spike, do have any intentions of turning her?"


"I'd do it in a heartbeat, but only if she asked me. I can't even think about being without her, but I don't want it if it's not what she wants." Spike spoke clearly.


Buffy snuggled further into Spike's embrace. Giles and the two continued to chat unaware that they were being watched.


***********


Riley Finn crouched outside the window listening to the people who were obviously insane.

Spike had some kind of control over her, and now it had stretched to the others. There was no way in Hell that they would all be going along with Buffy dating a Vampire. Let alone him talking about turning her.


There was something going on and he would help them all, especially Buffy. She needed his help the most. He would save her, yes she needed to be saved, and she would love him all the more for it. He could forgive her for anything she had done while under the influence of this thing, this spell or whatever. And they would be happy again.


But he needed help for this. Maggie, she would help him, or maybe someone else who hated Spike and could see that Buffy wasn't in her right mind. Forming a plan already he slunk away into the shadows.


********


Spike and Buffy walked hand in hand down the road.


"You not going back to the dorm?" Spike asked when he noticed that they were heading in the other direction.


"No, I'm going to have to talk to my Mom, she needs to know about this and well we need to talk about living arrangements. You can't move into the dorm with me and I'm not moving into some dank crypt so I think we're going to have to look for a place." Buffy rubbed her forehead.


"You want to move in together?" Spike asked shocked. Buffy would have laughed at the little hitch in Spike's voice but she settled for a smile.


"You don't want to live with me?" Buffy teased. "I think it's a good idea considering the me breaking things, our rather loud and sometimes destructive sex life. Besides, I don't think the bond will allow us to be separated for any length of time. So it's easier all round."


Spike grinned at her, thinking about living with this little fireball of a woman. His thoughts drifted to what they could get up to in a place of their own.


Buffy groaned.

"Please stop that, I'm going to see my mother and I don't need to be thinking about sex, or looking like I've just had sex." Buffy looked at him pointedly cutting off all ideas forming.


Spike chuckled, but said nothing more.


Buffy unlocked the front door and quietly let herself in, to her supprise she found her mother sitting on the couch with a blanket wrapped around her.


"Mom, what are you doing up?" Buffy rushed to her side worrying.


"Nothing sweety, I just couldn't sleep and I had a feeling you were going to come by." Joyce shrugged it off and smiled. "Spike is that you lurking in the shadows?"


"I do not lurk. I skulk." Spike stepped out of the shadows smiling. "How are you Joyce? You look well."


"I'm doing okay, and you? Any news on Dru?" Joyce asked innocently.


Spike winced as he felt the flash of jealousy that emanated from Buffy.


"No, things were never going to work out anyway, it was dead way before I would ever admit." Spike moved and sat in a seat opposite the couch. He smiled again at the contrast of feelings coming off Buffy, there was tenderness now.


"So Buffy, how come your here, with Spike. Is the world ending again? Any other secret identities you've been keeping from me?" Joyce quipped but there was real worry laced in there.


"No mom, nothing like that, although I do have something to tell you, and I don't think your gonna like it." Buffy started not rally knowing how to say it.


"Spike and I are kind of a couple now, and we're kind off bonded." Buffy sat up straighter and waited for the onslaught.


"Oh." Was all Joyce said. "What does Bonded mean, is it like engaged?" Joyce inquired.


"Not really, it's a vampire ritual." Spike started to explain but noticed Joyce's stricken look, and added quickly. "Buffy's not a vampire."


Joyce sighed with relief. "So was that the big thing?"


"Well yeah, your not going to scream at me? Tell me what a mistake I'm making?" Buffy was confused.


"No, I like Spike. He'll look after you." Joyce shrugged again, thoroughly enjoying the bewilderment of Buffy. She genuinely did like Spike and aside from the vampire issue, she knew in her heart that Spike would look after her.


Spike smiled warmly at the woman good enough to bring Buffy into this world and he stifled a chuckle, yeah the old bird still had it.


"Um, Mom? That's not everything. Spike and I are going to start looking for a place to live, together. Because of the bond it's uncomfortable to spend to much time apart. Is that okay?" Buffy held her breath. Please let it be okay she intoned in her mind.


"No it's not okay, how do you suppose your going to afford it? Buffy your a student and you are not, and I mean not dropping out of college. Spike your a vampire so that narrows down how you will get money." Joyce stood up and folded the blanket.


"You'll just have to move home Buffy, and Spike will have to move in. But this is not going to be a free for all, there will be no sex in this house in fact Spike will not be in your room at all. Now who wants Hot chocolate?"


Buffy and Spike just nodded dumbly and Joyce skitted out to the kitchen.


"That's one hell of a woman there." Spike commented looking stunned still. Buffy just smiled,

"Yep, that's my Mom."