Buffy had her face down as she walked through the crowded corridors of Sunnydale High. She had moved there when her mother, Joyce, had passed away. Her father had been too haunted in L.A by the memories and had brought Buffy to sunny California. Buffy didn’t mind though. After she had returned to school at Hemery High two weeks after the death she’d withdrawn into herself. Knowing she would be leaving at the end of that school year she didn’t care that she lost her popularity when she stopped hanging in the in crowd. They were too superficial for her anyways, it was always clothes this and make up that. Not one of her “best friends” had offered their condolences.

She stopped caring about fashion and looks and spent her days and nights drawing and painting. It was the only thing that helped her get through it all. Her once friends started calling her a freak but she just ignored them. Her once weekly shopping sprees at the mall stopped and she decided to let her blond hair grow out to it’s natural color, brown. She ceased using her contacts and started wearing her glasses again. Her clothes were soon out of date, she had become what she used to fear the most….being a geek!!!

When she moved at the end of the year she had no one to say goodbye too, she’d already severed all the ties she had. She’d left a single white rose on her mother’s tombstone and said goodbye to L.A.

When she first started school at Sunnydale in grade 10 she was immediately befriended by Willow and Xander. Their bond becoming one of best friends quickly, seeing as how no one else was gonna talk to the “Scooby Gang.” It was a nickname given to them by the popular kids, referring to them as dogs. She’d only been there for a year and she hated the place, the people and the teachers. Well the librarian, Giles, as she called him, was great. Buffy’s dad wasn’t around a lot because he had “important business to take care of” all the time. Buffy knew he was sleazing it up with girls almost as young as her and that it was too hard for him to look at her, she reminded him too much of Joyce. Giles had soon become a surrogate father. Letting her stay in the library after it closed so she had some company while she drew. He always had a kind word for her and the two kids who had befriended her. Xander often slept in his quest house when his father would go on a drinking binge and try to hurt him. Giles didn’t have to say it but they all knew that if Xanders dad ever succeeded in laying one finger on the boy he’d let the “Ripper” come out of hibernation. He related to these children well even if he couldn’t talk to his own son or daughter, William or Spike it would seem these days and Dru, and often humored them with tales from his past. Giles had made Spike swear not to breathe a word of Xanders predicament when he had come down the stairs to see a member of the Scooby gang sitting at his table having breakfast and let out a loud “What in bleedin’ hell are you doing here whelp?”. He had promised his dad though and didn’t utter a word about it even though “the whelp” was over much more often lately.

She was so lost in thought she didn’t see the foot sneak out in front of her before it was too late. Falling to the ground rapidly she was lucky enough to stop the marble floor from smashing her face by shooting out her hands lightning quick. She picked herself up and turned around, standing face to face with Harmony Kendall, bitch extrordinaire.

“Oops I didn’t see you Fluffy is what I would say if I hadn’t seen you. But we both know that would be a lie.” She said laughing, her friends Cordelia and Fred giggled too, along with a few stragglers that were emptying their lockers for the weekend.

Buffy was seething with anger but held her tongue and her fist. Since she could remember her mom had enrolled her in every kind of self defense and martial arts class she could, telling her daughter “A girl can never be too strong.” Buffy had quickly mastered every one she took and had even gone to regionals and won 9 years in a row. Only her close friends knew that though.

“It’s okay.” Buffy muttered softly, gathering her books. She looked up to see Spike walking towards them. He walked up to Harmony and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before noticing the books strewn in front of Buffy. He leaned down and helped her finish picking them up, catching her eyes for a second. Before he could ask if she was alright she took off, not turning around once.

Harmony glared at Spike, not believing he had just helped that loser. “Spike what the hell was that?” she demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.

Spike was really tired of the stupid bint and her incessant nagging but she was great for a lay and she was the only one in the popular crowd who had been single when he joined them. His best friend Gunn was with Fred and Angel was dating Cordy so she’d been the obvious choice.The other two birds weren’t bad when Harm or Angel weren’t around but like them they didn’t want to lose their high social status. They all felt bad for Buffy and Fred and Cordy had tried on several occasions to apologise when they felt no one would be watching but somehow Angel and Harmony would always pop up out of nowhere.

“That was me being humane luv’” a smirk came to his face, “You should give it a whirl sometime.”

Harmony stalked away, Fred and Cordelia rolled their eyes at him before following her. “Here we go again.” Fred muttered as they went in search of the over dramatic blond, leaving Spike standing alone. ‘I never noticed how pretty Buffy’s eyes are.’ He shrugged the thought away and went to meet Gunn.

The more you guys review the faster and possibly better i'll write. So review review review and I'll do my best not to dissapoint you. Thanx