“It’s done.” As Angel spoke he ran a hand through his hair, Buffy knew that he was dying to say something about her decision.

Spike beat him to it.

“Buffy, luv is this really such a good idea…” Spike was interrupted before he could finish.

“The council know about the baby, and from what I can tell, they want it. They want to take the baby and do tests on it, because of its parents. I need help Spike, not a guilty conscience. All the people from the council are human, which means that you can’t lift a finger against them. What good is that to me? Spike we’re talking about our baby.” Buffy ran out of steam towards the end.

Spike just stared at her for a second or two before turning and stalking off up the stairs.

“Buffy that was way harsh. You know he’d do anything for you and the baby.” Cordelia spoke in a quiet voice.

“I know, and I’m sorry but I don’t have time to debate the ethics of Spike having his chip removed, they want to take my baby!” with that Buffy burst into tears. Cordelia sat down next to the sobbing slayer and put an arm around her.

“Buffy I know this isn’t the best time but do they know about Darla? Because we have enough people after her. Wesley has come up with auctions for her baby already. I just need to know if we should all move out for a while.” Angel tried to keep the anxiety off his face but Buffy could see it.

“Don’t worry, Angel you have your own responsibilities now and they are your first priority. As far as I know, they don’t know about Darla, well Giles doesn’t, whether the council does or doesn’t, I’m not sure but I think Giles would have heard something by now if they did.” Buffy felt exhausted. She looked up as Spike re entered the lobby, a cold look on his face told Buffy what she needed.

“Spike I’m sorry, ok? I am just so tired, tired of fighting and I need help. Please?” Buffy felt a tear roll down her cheek, and gave a mental sigh. Would she ever stop crying?.

Spike immediately walked to her and wrapped her in his embrace.

“I know pet, and I will help but you have got to see it from where I’m standing. First, until recently you hated me. Now we’re having a baby. And now you tell me to get the chip out when all you’ve ever done is threaten me about when I get my chip out. Buffy I love you with all my heart and I will do anything for you and the baby, but I’m a little confused at the moment.” Spike tried to keep his words soothing as possible; he didn’t want to upset her again.

“And don’t forget that we have the Dark hairvenger to keep you safe as well.” Spike smiled as Buffy chuckled. Buffy’s face grew serious.

“But we don’t Spike, Angel has he’s own worries. Cordelia was filling me in. Darla is near her time and already there have been threats and stuff, Angel has more people clamouring after his child than we do. There are Vampire Cults, that whack job law firm. He has to look after his own. So all we have is ourselves until we get back to Sunnydale.” Buffy looked at him and fear shone through her eye’s.

“That’s all we need pet, nothing will happen to you I swear.” Spike promised fiercely.

Spike stood at the door and looked at the tiny woman who he loved so desperately and could have wept. He didn’t want to leave her, not even for a few hours.

“I won’t be gone long pet; I’ll be back before you know it.” Spike hugged Buffy so tightly that she had to prod him to remind him about her needing to breath. Before Spike let her go he felt a prod to his stomach. He pulled out of her reach and stared at her.

“What was that?” he asked looking puzzled.

Buffy laughed, before reaching out to take his hand.

“The baby kicked. Here, it’s still kicking.” She placed his hand over her stomach; the baby responded as if it knew and started kicking like mad.

Spike stared in awe as he felt Buffy’s stomach move in all directions. He looked at her with a goofy grin on his face.

“I’ll be back as soon as I can, I swear.” He dipped down and gave her a quick kiss before running out the door, still sporting the goofy grin.

Buffy smiled as she watched him leave, she turned and walked back into the lobby.

Darla made her way down the stairs, into the lobby, and saw Buffy walking back in. She rubbed her stomach, something didn’t quite feel right.

Buffy noticed Darla looking worried and headed her way, she passed the rest of the gang, they were back to researching.

“Darla is everything ok?” Buffy asked softly.

Darla shook her head as a wave of enormous power pulsed through the room.

Angel ran from where he was in time to see Buffy and Darla standing face to face, with they’re hands above each others bumps. They spoke in perfect unison.

“You’re having a boy!” Buffy said.
“You’re having a girl!” Darla said.

Angel stopped in his tracks and stood in awe. The moment quickly ended as Darla let out a scream and bent over clutching at her stomach.

A few seconds later Buffy followed suit and let out her own scream.

Angel stood in horror as Buffy begged him to find Spike. Cordelia snapped into action.

“Angel, see to Darla. Buffy, Honey? We’re going to have to get you to the hospital.” Cordy helped Buffy stand and tried to block out the sound of her sobs and Buffy repeating over and over that it wasn’t time and that she needed Spike. She turned to see Angel helping Darla up and hoped to the Powers that they could find Spike in time.