Chapter 3

The following Tuesday


“Sorry Clem, I thought I told you, Passions, it hasn’t been on all week, bloody Pop Idol or something on in its place, bloody big pile o’ crap it is too, you should hear some of them, it’s like the cat got it’s tail caught in the door”

Clem stood in the entrance to the crypt, holding a bucket of extra spicy buffalo wings, and a four-pack of beer in the other.

“Um…there’s a triple showing of Stargate, we could watch that” he ventured

“If you want mate – actually, you can watch whatever, I might just go out”

“Sure you don’t mind?”

“Course not, I told you, anytime – here, you can have the comfy chair”

“Great, thanks…want a hot-wing?”

“I’ll pass thanks all the same, mate – you can stay as long as you like, but if I’m not back before you go, just blow the candle, would you?”

“Okay…have fun”

“I hope so!” Spike said with a grin, and slipping on his beloved duster, he left.

*********


“Lay-dees! Attention please! (He clapped loudly and the hall went silent of the chatter) Hokay…I hope you have been-a practicing – stand in line…”

Everybody lined up as requested.

“Today I want to see how supple you are – is most importanté, you need to be smooth and lithe…hokay, please be standings like this”

Joachim stood with his hands on his hips, elbows sticking out.

Everybody followed suit, and waited for the next instruction.

“Ready, I want you to circle your body, from the waist, only moving the top half, like dis – go”

Some were a lot better than others.

Joachim walked up and down the line of girls, in front and behind them, making comments.

“………Hmm, okay………Very good………no, circle, like this, don’t just be sticking out your butt…there see? That’s it………very good……………yes, good…………no, please be trying to keep butt still, just move top – like so…hokay………”

He got to the two dancer girls and called for everybody to watch their example, and then he came to Buffy on the end.

“Very good Baffy – you are very supple…Hokay everyone, now we do to music”

The class went on, and at roughly five to nine, still with over half an hour’s lesson left, Spike pulled up onto the parking lot.

As soon as he got out of his car, he could here the beat of the salsa music.

The college was a-blaze with lights, there was something going on in every classroom. Spike walked passed windows and he could see some older ladies standing around a three tiered wedding cake, the one lady was attaching pink roses to the edge of it. In the next room he passed he saw the teacher writing something up on a board – not English – he saw it was French, and was immediately taken back to a bygone era when he had to learn all his French verbs for his governess.

Pulling open the double doors Spike wandered inside the entrance, and he went over to the main hall, where the sound of the music was coming from.

Joachim was pacing the girls, counting – then the music blared again and they did what they learned to the music.

“Now I demonstrate how your partner should be holding you…um, you, Baffy, come here”

“Me? – Oh um…right” Buffy walked up to him.

Outside Spike frowned and wondered what was happening, when Joachim grabbed Buffy, pulling her towards him and holding his hand firmly in the middle of the small of her back, pressing her tightly to his groin.

“Oh – OH! Um – er I see!” Buffy was a bit taken a-back at first, she wasn’t expecting anything quite so intimate!

“Concentrate…remember the steps – and go – and a one-a and a two-a and a three-a and a four-a and…” Joachim provocatively rubbed his hips against hers.

Buffy was doing her best to concentrate, when from the doorway, she heard (as only a slayer could) a very low combat growl. She snapped her head towards the doors to see Spike standing there with his fists clenched, he’d stood it for a few minutes but it all got too much for him. Suddenly she was let go and startled when Joachim clapped his hands loudly right in front of her face, bring her attention back to him.

“No, NO – Baffy – you not concentrate, right, do again!” He grabbed her and Buffy stumbled slightly, wondering what the heck Spike was doing there, before she got the rhythm. She whirled her head around to look at her vampire, but all she saw was the swing doors flip-flapping shut.

Joachim let her go when the music stopped, and put on other music, did the example with the dancers and one or two others too. Buffy discreetly ran outside.

“Spike, SPIKE! What are you doing here?”

Spike stopped striding away, and turned angrily

“I came to give you a lift – to see how you were getting on – and I saw you getting OFF! – Or rather, your precious ‘Whack-him’ was, rubbing himself all over you – you should be ashamed of yourself!”

“ME – I - What? How dare you – he was just – I mean I know how it must have looked – but then you – and you have no right to – and YOU SPIED ON ME!”

“I wasn’t spying – but I saw for myself how the greasy little Diego gets his kicks!”

“Now just you listen here – I don’t need this – and I don’t know WHERE you think you’ve got the right to tell me - Spike……… SPIKE, DON’T YOU DARE WALK AWAY FROM ME - I’M TALKING TO YOU!”

“No you’re not, you’re yelling – and you’re all red and guilty looking – give me one good reason why I shouldn’t go in there and whack ‘Whack-him’!”

“Why – because it’s his job – it’s what he does – give me strength…look-“

“No, YOU look, there was no need to hold you like that – that’s MY prerogative!”

“You think? – Well not anymore it isn’t!” Buffy spat, folding her arms.

It took a few seconds for the words to sink in, and Spike narrowed his eyes and said,

“Fine” and left with a swirl of his duster.

Buffy glanced at the window, and could see a few of the girls had witnessed the scene, and she decided to just go back in and get on with the lesson.


When the class finished, Buffy quickly went out to see if she could see Spike.

“Hey, going without me?” Willow asked as she pushed open the door to outside.

“What – oh, no sorry – it’s just…” Buffy scanned the parking lot, worriedly biting her bottom lip.

“Just what?” Willow asked, her smile fading a little when she saw Buffy looking worried.

“Spike turned up…he saw the teacher holding me a little too tightly…he was dancing very suggestively – and Spike and I had a row. Oh gods Willow, can you see him – I don’t want Spike to pick a fight, I’m actually enjoying this class!”

Willow looked around and shook her head

“I can’t see him…so what happened exactly?” Buffy told her.

“Growled?” Willow looked mildly surprised, and Buffy nodded her head.

“Very low, but it, well, it was a combat growl, I should know, I hear enough of them………I can’t see or sense him…come on, I’ll just get my bag, let’s go home”

Buffy was feeling – well, mixed up to be truthful.

She didn’t know if she should be angry with him for spying on her, or flattered that he was jealous………


**********

“Are you sure you’ll be alright, Buffy? – Only I have this homework to do, we’ve got to write a short diagnostic program for debugging in Fortran, and I’m itching to start!”

“Hmm? Oh, don’t worry, I’ll be fine………you go”

Willow left Buffy on her doorstep and went home.

Buffy quickly went in and she went upstairs and changed into something more suitable for slaying.

************

Breathing a sigh of relief when she heard the TV on, she went inside the crypt.

“Spike…there you are – I’ve been – oh – Clem, it’s you!”

“Huh – wha-what – oh um, er, hi – hi Buffy – uh aaaarrrgggggggg – s’cuse me, (Clem yawned and stretched) I must have fallen asleep. What time is it?

“Quarter to eleven – you haven’t seen Spike have you?”

“Um, no – not since he left here earlier – no Passions tonight, so I watched the sci-fi channel, Spike didn’t fancy it and went out.”

Buffy nodded and Clem stood up in a shower of snack crumbs, and dusted himself of.

“I’d better be going…can I leave you to blow the candle?”

“Sure – and Clem, if you see him – tell him I’m looking for him, it’s important”

“Okay – bye then”

“See you Clem” He left. Buffy frowned at the chair, brushed off as many bits as she could, and sat. She stared at the milky screen showing some ancient black and white movie, she fell asleep.

**************

“Oi…OI, WILLY…I said, fill ‘er up!” Spike drunkenly pushed his glass towards the weasely little barman.

“D-d-don’t you th-think you’ve had enough, Spike?”

Spike tried to sit up straight, and stared owlishly at the barman, who weaved in and out of focus; sometimes he saw two of him…

“I’ll ‘cide when I’ve had ‘nuff…(hic) now, fillerup!”

Willy frowned and took the bottle of gut-rot spirit from under the counter and filled the glass.

“G’is that ‘ere!” Spike snatched the bottle off Willy, and downed the third-full bottle in several swallows. He spluttered and coughed, then slammed the bottle down, picked up his glass and downed that too, hiccupped, burped and swayed in his seat, trying to sit upright

“More…g’is ‘nother bottle (hic) …purrit on me tab – there – (hic) there’s a good Willy! Wee Willy Winky – come on chop-chop m-(hic) man – lets be ‘aving you!”

“Really Spike, I think you’ve had enough” Willy looked warily at the totally shit-faced vampire and thought, *where’s the bloody slayer when she’s needed!*

Spike could feel himself slipping sideways, over-compensated by leaning the other way, and promptly fell off the barstool.

“Ow – huh…hmm…(hic) go sleep now…………” Spike began to snore

“Vampires snore? – Spike, Spike, you can’t stay here…Spike – Oh, hell!” Willy frowned at the snoring leather-clad heap lying by his bar.

All of a sudden, a familiar face peered around the door.

“Not too late for a drink am I?”

“Clem – just the ma- um demon I want…give me a hand with him please!” Willy tapped Spike’s shoulder with his foot.

“Who is – oh SPIKE!”

“Yeah Spike, and he’s bad news for me, help me get him outside”

“Um…okay, but well, shouldn’t we try and sober him up first?” Clem suggested

“Believe me, you don’t want to here is tale of woe…hold the door open and then………we………can………gods he is a dead weight………uhhhhhhhhhh ooh…bloody hell…getting……...too………old………for this! There!” Dusting off his hands, Willy went back into his bar, having propped Spike up next to a pile of empty cardboard boxes outside by the garbage.

“So, what can I get ya?” Willy turned to smile where he thought Clem would be standing in front of the bar, but there was no-one there, his face fell, and he even looked over the bar to the floor, but no Clem………

Trotting back the way he’d just come, Clem flung open the door to the crypt.

“Buffy…Buffy…are you still – oh sorry to wake you – um, can you come?”

Buffy sat up with a start

“What is it – is it Spike – oh gods, PLEASE tell me he hasn’t been fighting?”

“He hasn’t been fighting”

Buffy came towards Clem

“Is that true?”

“Uh huh, he’s in um…well, no fit state TO fight, actually”

“You mean he’s drunk?”

“Uh huh”

“Well the pig can rot!”

“Please Buffy, only if we leave him there, when the sun comes up, well you know, ‘poof’ one big old pile o’ dust!”

“It would serve him right!” Clem looked at her with his quite soul-ful eyes, and Buffy relented with a sigh,

“Oh all right, where is he? He doesn’t deserve friends like you, you know”

“Behind Willy’s bar. He’s not so bad – but um, don’t tell him I said that, will you, he’s quite proud of his ‘Big Bad’ reputation”

Buffy rolled her eyes, smiled and shook her head

They walked briskly to the back of the bar, to see that Spike was no longer propped up against the boxes, he had slumped over.

“You two had a row or something?”

Buffy eyed Clem, not knowing how much he knew, so she just said diplomatically,

“Yeah, something like that…oh well, here goes, can you help me to………there, hold him against the wall while I…okay – that’s it!” Buffy hoisted Spike over her one shoulder, fire-fighter style

“Will you be okay now Buffy?”

“Yeah…don’t worry, night Clem”

“Night…and um, don’t be too hard on him!”

“Oh, I’m just dumping the pig in his crypt, night”

And that’s what she’d got every intention of doing, BUT, things don’t always go the way you plan, do they?………………