Chapter 4

She’d had every intention of just dumping Spike in his crypt, and hoofing it home. Trouble was, he’d stuck to her like Velcro, curling himself around her, and she found it almost impossible to put him down. She’d free herself of his one arm, only to find the other winding it’s way back around her body.

“Spike…SPIKE – WAKE UP…OI, come on Spike, wakey-wakey, rise and – oh…come on”

“Hmm…mine……...bloody Diego’s not to touch…can’t have you” Spike mumbled.

Buffy bit her bottom lip, trying not to smile.

“Oh…come on then, back to mine, but I’m warning you, you’re in the basement matey-boy, don’t think for one second that I’ve forgiven you”

Spike just snuggled further into her body, totally oblivious. Buffy stopped walking, hoisted him up a little and continued to walk to Revello Drive.

After letting herself in, Buffy pondered whether to just throw him down into the basement, but she decided that was cruel, and just dumped him on the sofa instead.

She went and got changed, and then came back downstairs.

Standing behind the sofa, Buffy put her arms under his and around his chest, hauling him over the back of the sofa, his feet dragging along the floor, and she continued to pull him along, his feet clunked down each one of the basement steps, she heaved him (still fully dressed) onto the cot and she went back up.

Yawning and stretching, she got a whiff of Joachim’s aftershave – and decided it was sickly sweet, more like perfume than a man’s fragrance, and she suddenly felt the need for a long hot soak.


After two hot top-ups, Buffy could see that she’d pruned enough, and pulled the plug and stood up, draping a huge bath towel around her. As she padded barefoot across to her bedroom, she freed her hair from its restrictive ponytail and walked into her room – only to see Spike fast asleep in her bed. She narrowed her eyes at him at first, and then with a sigh, she rolled them.

“How the hell did you…you are SO for it in the morning………” She threw off the towel, pulled on a clean but very old and very baggy tee, and got into bed, switching off the light.

Spike immediately made like the Velcro again, snuggling up to her back, sticking to her like a limpet.

“What is it with you, huh?” Buffy shook her head a smile tugging at her lips and she settled down and closed her eyes.

“Mine………my slayer…love you” Spike mumbled

Buffy’s eyes opened wide and she tried to turn and face him, but Spike had her in a vice like grip.

“Spike – let me – what did you say? – SPIKE – WAKE UP!” Buffy struggled to sit up, which she managed eventually.

“………Beau’iful when you’re angry………gonna whack – ‘Whack-him!”

“Oh no you won’t – WAKE UP!”

“Hmm…love you”

“So you said! – Look, don’t think that this get’s you off the hook” Buffy felt………how did she feel? Horrified? – No. Pleased? – Hmm, not sure about that exactly…shocked? Yes, that would do for now…

“S’get married”

“WHAT?” This time Buffy almost fell out of bed with shock

Spike answered with a snore

“Oh and you can quit that for a start! – Since when do vampires snore anyway?”

Tiring of the one-way conversation, Buffy lay down again, and Spike snuggled in.

She turned her head and looked at the sleeping vampire. He looked younger, boyish almost; she loved it when his hair was all tousled with unruly curls…she smiled, oh yes, was she going to have some fun in the morning …………

************

Spike woke with a start. An aching head was what he first became aware of, followed by the fact he was warm, and covered with layers of Buffy smelling covers. Not just covers, the pillow too, he turned round slowly to be met with Buffy, head propped on her hand, just looking at him.

“Er…how did I get here?”

“That it? No good morning or anything?”

“Um…don’t shout pet, I’ve got…well, I’m lying right next to you. So, morning, pet…………………how did I get here?”

“I carried you. Although I carried you as far as the basement, I had a bath, and when I came in here, I found I’d got a lodger – you must have made it up the stairs on your own.”

Spike remembered nothing yet, so Buffy continued


“We poured you out of the alley behind Willy’s bar. Now you’ve got to convince me that I did the right thing, and not left you to go poof at first light”

“We?”

“Clem and me. I went to your crypt looking for you after our – well never mind, it’ll come back to you – I woke a sleeping Clem, he left, and I fell asleep, then Clem comes back…told me what a disgusting state you were in, and-“

“The cheeky git! – Did he use those exact words?”

“SPIKE!”

“Ow, um, shush, baby, please – have a little sympathy here - please - huh? – Somebody’s let off a nuclear bomb off in my head, then they’re trying to suck out the resultant goo with a vacuum cleaner…least, that’s what it feels like!”

“And why should have any sympathy at all? – It IS self inflicted – so come on, WHY did you get so disgustingly drunk last night?”

Good question. Why? Spike tried mentally to scoop up enough grey matter to get a coherent thought together.

“Um…let me think…Willy’s bar…mucho gut-rot spirit, fight with old what’s-his-face, some more gut-rot he calls whiskey………um…argument and threats with Razor and his girlfriend…ugly bastard he is…calling me a blood-rat, more gut-rot - who the fuck does he think he is…

“Spike………SPIKE”

“Ow, WHAT- Oh, OOOOOOWWWW! DON’T - ow, ow, ow! I mean don’t make me shout…what?”

“Why did you get so drunk at Willy’s last night?”

“I’m trying to think! Ow, my bloody head hurts…got any Advil?”

“Come on, I want ANSWERS!”

“Bloody hell – and you say I’M evil! I’m trying to think!”

“You’ve got that right, you ARE trying, very trying, I’ll give you that!”

“Oh ha-bloody-ha! You are such a comedian – ha – got it!”

Spike clicked his fingers triumphantly, then pointed to Buffy saying accusingly,

“ – Diego! That’s it! That low-down, no good, sneaky, snake hipped, poofy smelling, greasy little twat of a so called dance teacher of yours – so missy, never mind you getting up on your high horse with me, this is about YOU! (Ouch!)

“Don’t change the subject!”

“I’m NOT, just stating the facts! Okay then – fine by me, we’ll talk about it!” Spike mentally bitch-slapped himself upside the head. He didn’t want to talk about anything, he just wanted to go back to bed…

“But we discuss this like two rational peop- well, one person and a despicable demon vampire over breakfast, come on!”

Frowning that he didn’t have chance to ‘sweet-talk’ her into some early morning…okay, make that lunchtime delight, Spike wearily threw off the covers, and stood up. He nearly fell over again, he felt dizzy still.

Buffy had bounded downstairs, with everything ready.

When Spike appeared at the bottom of the stairs in just his jeans, only the bottom two buttons done up so they slung dangerously low on his hips, Buffy felt the usual sexual stirrings when she saw his cool tight body…

The radio was playing loud thumping techno-pop, at almost ear-bleed volume, she grinned at him, started up the juicing machine and the coffee grinder, and
Spike immediately went to go scurrying back upstairs - the cacophony being too much for his aching head, But Buffy headed him off and shepherded him into the kitchen and sit him at the breakfast counter.

“SPIKE…GOT SOME COLD PIZZA IF YOU WANT!”

The mere thought of food had Spike frowning, although, he wouldn’t have turned down a pint or two of O neg………

“I’ll pass”

“What?”

“I said, I’ll pass”

“SORRY – I CAN’T HEAR YOU!”

“I SAID – Ow, OW! For fuck’s sake! (Spike held his head, the heels of his palms rubbing his eyes) He suddenly jumped up, and pulled out all the plugs out of the sockets.

“There! Peace…fuck, my head’s bastard killing me!”

“I was listening to that!” Buffy said, trying to look indignant – she hated that sort of noise and was really secretly glad he’d turned it off, not that she’d tell him that though………

“Look what’s…um, coffee beans? But we always drink instant”

“We do everyday, but when somebody special comes, we have real beans, out comes the coffee maker, and don’t get thinking you’re special – I’ve run out of instant-“

“Bullshit! It was just a ploy to make as much noise as possible. Okay, so you’ve got your own back now, and-“

“Oh, you think – well I’ve got news for you, Mister - no I haven’t – not nearly enough, THIS is going to take a while, and I’m going to enjoy every second of it!”

“Sadist!”

“Bleached moron!”

“Silly bint”

Buffy made a mental note-to-self to look up that word, it was one of his ‘British-isms’ that she didn’t understand.

“Cretin”

“It’s pronounced Cret – e as in egg, Cret-in, not creet-in, like the Greek island, pillock!”

That was another one to look up………

“Fang-features!”

“JEZEBEL! – Don’t think I’ve forgotten what this is all about here – it’s not about me having one or two drinks more than I perhaps should have, it’s about YOU (ow)…you and that greasy little Diego twat that can’t keep his hands or front bits off you – well, he’s going to from now on, coz I’m going to rip off his bollocks and make him eat them!”

“Have you quiet finished?” Buffy folded her arms, leaning on one hip, looking daggers at him.

“Finished – finished? I haven’t bloody well started yet! – Ow, OW- do you have any Advil – I’m dying here!”

“No shit, Sherlock – got news for you – YOU’RE ALREADY DEAD!”

Spike winced as her loud harsh words ripped through him, and he closed his eyes, until he heard something drop on the counter in front of him. He cracked open an eye and saw a box of Advil and immediately set about popping two from the blister pack.

Buffy had made no move to get him water, so he just chugged two mouthfuls of juice straight from the juicer jug.

“Spike, use a glass, don’t be so disgusting…anyway tell me when you’ve sobered up, then we can start talking arrangements”

“Arrangements? Arrangements for what?” All Spike wanted to do, was to go back to bed, preferably with the feisty little blonde, who was standing there in front of him obviously enjoying his discomfort.

“The wedding – don’t you remember you asked me to marry you last night!”

“Oh – I DID WHAT – Ow, ow?” It was all Spike could do to remain seated!

Now Spike had a history of doing stupid things. Dive in, gung-ho, not thinking first, bugger the consequences type. He also had an even bigger history of doing stupid things when he was drunk. Spectacular things, which we won’t go into here, but take our word for it. It appeared that last night, it was one of his more………more what?

“Well, it couldn’t have been very romantic” he said quietly

This tack of his surprised Buffy, and it threw her slightly. She thought he’d come out all guns blazing, hotly denying it and telling her she must be crazy…

“Ro-Romantic – phfft! YOU don’t know the meaning of the word!” Buffy blew him off with a dismissive hand

“I DO! Ow, damn it – will you stop making me shout!”

“Okay then fang-breath, what’s your idea of romantic”

Spike had his head pillowed on his folded arm and he tried to think.

She wanted romantic did she – well okay then – he wouldn’t tell her, he’d SHOW her!

“Well, I’m waiting!”

“And you’re going to wait a bit longer – coz I’m going to show you”

This caught Buffy off-guard completely!

“Show-show me?”

“Uh huh”

“Yeah, right!” She smiled nervously, wondering what on earth he was going to do.

“That’s right, show you, now c’m’ere you”

“Oh – Spike let me go, I’ve got things to do!”

“Never!”

“Spike – if this is your idea of romantic, then!”

Buffy struggled in his vice like grip, and it was only when she felt his cool fingers slide down her back to her butt she stopped wriggling.

“Not today, not here and now, but I’ll show you!”

“When?”

“Blimey, give a bloke a chance, will ya…Saturday – yeah, Saturday. Right, and now, it’s back to bed time, coz it’s the middle of the night!”

“Spike, its 12.35pm, lunchtime”

“Middle of the night for me pet, now come on, or have I got to carry you?”

From having to look at his sexy bod for the last ten minutes, the well defined pecs and abs, and the thing she found sexiest of all, the line of fine dark downy hairs that lead from his navel to his groin…she didn’t put up much resistance.