Chapter 7

Spike pulled up outside Buffy’s house, and bibbed the horn.

A minute later, she came down the path, and got into the car.

Spike felt so nervous, he’d barely looked at her. She smiled and said,

“Okay then, so, where are we going, I know you said think beach, but…?”

“You’ll see!” Spike glanced at her, and saw how beautiful she looked, and he suddenly had to swerve slightly to avoid a collision with a tree.

“Careful! So, do you like my outfit?”

“Yeah…s’beautiful, pet”

Buffy looked at him, could see he looked stressed, he was slightly hunched over the steering wheel, and his knuckles looked totally bloodless.

“So, gonna tell me what that steering wheel’s done to you to deserve that death-grip?”

“Wha-what – oh I um…”

“You seem nervous”

Spike scoffed,

“N-nervous? –Me – ha! Don’t make me laugh!” Convincing no one…

Buffy smiled and looked out of the window as they sped along to Shell Beach.

***********


Clem nearly jumped a mile when he was poked in the shoulder. He was waiting outside the cemetery gates, holding a posy of flowers.

“Hello!”

“Oh! You made me jump! Wow…look at you huh!”

“So…you live in a graveyard do you?” Agnes said, walking on through the gates.

Clem quickly followed her and remembered the flowers

“Oh, um, these are for you!” he thrust the posy at her and Agnes looked a little surprised.

“Oh – Oh they um, they’re beautiful, thankyou!” Clem beamed at her, as she seemed pleased. They walked on in silence for a few yards, she fished out the card that was in the posy, and read out loud,

“With Deepest Sympathy – To Mary, will be sadly missed by all of us, from the staff at Sunnydale Home Insurance” she looked at Clem, who liked like he wanted to die a thousand deaths…

“Oh god! I’m sorry, I, well you see, I bought you daisies, and well, they sort of just disintegrated and then Spike said, well –“

“Clem, they’re lovely, thankyou” she patted his arm, and Clem shut up.

“So…where do you live then?”

“Um, well it’s erm, not my – I mean I’ve had permission, don’t think I’m just barging into any old crypt, not that it is, you see how comfortable it is, with a bed – and um, and a comfy chair – got TV too, and I’m sorry I didn’t mean to mention the bed, I don’t want you thinking that that’s all I asked you out for…oh gods I wish I’d shut up!”

Linking her arm through his, they strolled slowly through the graveyard; Agnes smiled at him and said,

“Relax darling, the night is young, lets have a drink and get to know each other better, shall we, hmm?”


*************

After 40 minutes of hard, fast driving, Spike pulled up at the sea wall.

“Okay, you stay there, I’ll come and fetch you when everything is ready”

“M’kay” Buffy said, nodding.

She could hear Spike taking stuff out of the boot, and she turned to look, but of course the back window had been blacked out, so she couldn’t see. By the time she’d cracked open the side window, Spike was out of sight down the steps and onto the sand,

Spike stuck two tar-torches from his crypt into the sand and lit them, and laid out a blanket. He left his guitar in its case, and taking a huge un-necessary breath, he closed his eyes and mumbled to himself,

‘Well mate, it’s now or never…the worst she could do it to laugh in…’ Spike didn’t finish what he was saying, because if she DID laugh, well…he thought that he might just leave Sunnydale for good…


********


“Oh, this is cosy…got anything to drink?”

“Um, er, er yes- yes Claret?”

“Oh, okay, I was thinking a little stronger, but if that’s all you have, then –“

“No, um, no, I have Scotch around here somewhere, if I can remember where I…Oh yes, here we go” Clem took the scotch out of the cupboard where he’d seen Spike stash it earlier, thinking he’d by him one back as soon as he could

“I thought you said there was a bed?”

“What?” Clem asked, shocked!

“A bed, you said, there was a bed!” Agnes repeated, doing a complete 360º turn.

“There is”

“Well where is it then?”

“Downstairs”

“There’s a downstairs? Well come on then darling, what are we waiting for? We might as well get comfy straight away…I’ll bring this, you fetch the glasses…don’t be long now, BIG BOY!” She winked her one big Cyclops eye at him, she took the bottle of Scotch, and started down the ladder, leaving Clem excited, nervous, make that panic-stricken and shocked all at once.

A disembodied voice called up

“And bring the claret too, baby, we can make a night of this!”

Spurred into action, Clem looked around for some clean glasses………


**************


Spike opened the passenger door, and offered her his hand.

Buffy graciously accepted and took it. She smiled when she saw the lit torches and blanket, as she walked down the little flight of stone steps to the beach, stopping on the last one to slip off her mules and carry them.

The evening was warm, with a gentle breeze coming off the sea as it gently lapped on the shore. The moon was full, and quite low in the sky and Buffy sat down on the blanket, and smiled expectantly at Spike.

She sat there and watched as Spike too out his guitar from its case.

Spike strummed a couple of times, tightened one of the key-pegs, strummed again and was satisfied that it was in tune.

“This is a song, I wrote for you” Spike said, his voice a little hoarse from nerves. Buffy immediately sat up straight, and wrapped her arms around her knees, she was a little surprised, nobody had ever written her a song before!

Spike began to play – even this was a revelation to her, she had no idea that…

And then he began to sing:


I see you standing there,
You don’t know your power,
I’ve seen you at your lowest ebb,
I’ve seen your finest hour,

And I want to let you know,
What I feel,
And I want to let you know,
That what I feel is real.

I love to take a little while,
To sit and watch and see you smile,
Your very soul lights up the room,
And when the time is right,
One moon lit night,
I’ll tell you very soon,

And I want to let you know,
What I feel,
And I want to let you know,
That what I feel is real.

Strong and beautiful, wild and free,
You don’t know what you do to me,
You are my sunshine after the rain,
My very strength when I’m in pain,

And I want to let you know,
What I feel
And I want to let you know,
That what I feel is real.

Others they don’t understand,
And say it isn’t true,
To break us up, and try and prove,
I’m not the one for you,

The world may end, and tear us apart,
But I just want you to know,
That forever you’ll be in my heart,
And that I love you so

And I want to let you know,
What I feel,
And I want to let you know,
That what I feel is real


Spike strummed and softly sang the chorus again, and when he’d finished, he put his guitar down in it’s case, and moved to sit next to her.

She didn’t move or say anything at first, and the hope that she liked it faded for Spike, and he felt an emptiness start to build – he must have stupid to think that – and then a loud sniff bought him out of his self-pitying reverie, and he looked at her, to see tears coursing down her face.

Spike looked at the blanket, and pulled at the fringing, he said quietly,

“That bad, huh?”

He felt her hand on his cheek, and she gently forced him to look at her.

“That was so beautiful – I can’t believe you wrote that for me”

“Really – you liked it?” Spike smiled

“No, I LOVED it, and I was wrong, you DO know how to be romantic”

Spike took the opportunity to kiss her, and the both lay down on the blanket………

**********


“OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH – no don’t! Hey, stop that – that tic-tickles! Hee-hee-hee – ooooohhhhh, aaaaahhhhh!”

“Clem, darling, I’m only trying to undo the buttons on your shirt! – Now, un-zip me will you please?”

Carefully, with a very shaky hand, Clem did her bidding, and she shrugged out of her dress and he was pleased to suddenly find out that his fears he’s confided to Spike were needless, you could have run up the Stars and Stripes AND the Union Jack on the flagpole of a hard-on he was now sporting!

“Ooh, I was right, you ARE a big boy, aren’t you – come here!” Agnes launched herself at him, and had Clem’s clothes off in a trice, all this excitement had his antennae and proboscis shooting out and waggling all over his face, and Agnes thought it the sexiest thing she’d ever seen.

“Oh honey, do that again!”

“What?”

“That thing with your eyebrows!”

“What, this?”

“Uh huh…hmm…and again”

“Well, it helps if you touch me……… there”

“Where, there?”

“Bit lower – oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Agnes started to giggle and kiss him.

***************

“Hmm, mmm, Sp-Spike…Spike!” Buffy gently pushed his shoulder

“Huh, what?”

“We’ve got an audience!” Spike looked to where Buffy was looking, and he saw
a dog standing there, wagging his tail, he had dropped a stick at the side of him, and he began to bark.

Buffy laughed and reached for the stick, and threw it towards the waters edge. The dog happily ran after it, splashing about in the water, before retrieving the stick and running back to them, still wagging his tail furiously. Dropping the stick, he barked, then shook himself dry, soaking the pair of them!

“Oh, oh my goodness, I’m so sorry!” a lady came up to them, panting.

Buffy and Spike tried to brush the droplets of water off themselves, but they were smiling.

“It’s okay, my fault…”

“Ben, bad doggie!”

“Oh, don’t scold him, we were going home now anyway” Buffy said standing.

“Oh, well thankyou for being so understanding, goodnight” the lady walked off, calling after her dog.

Buffy helped Spike stand and she slipped her arms around his neck and whispered sexily,

“Lets go back to mine” Spike gave her one of his ‘who’s a sexy boy then’ grins and walked to the waters edge with the torches and extinguished them while Buffy folded the blanket, and did up his guitar case.

If anything, Spike drove even faster going home. It wasn’t until they had pulled up outside her house that Buffy suddenly remembered her rash invite to Willow and the rest of the gang that they could use her house for the DVD and pizza night.

“SHIT!”

“What’s the matter?”

“I forgot I told the gang they could watch the DVD at mine!”

“No bother, we’ll go back to mine then!” Spike said, and they pulled away.

***
“What IS IT?” Buffy frowned, and Spike shrugged as they trudged through the graveyard, they could hear a strange moaning like sound

“Well, whatever it is, it sounds like it’s in pain or something!”

“Not pain, it sounds more like yodelling to me!”

“Bloody hell!”

“What?”

“Oh fuck! It’s coming from my crypt!” Spike said, listening at the door

“YOUR crypt – but how do - what the heck is it?”

“THAT my dear, is the sound of Clem getting lucky!” Spike said with a grin. Buffy was still frowning, and then it turned into a grin.

A high-pitched screaming for joy joined the moaning, and Buffy and Spike grinned, then Buffy sniffed

“What IS that god-awful smell?”

“Oh, um, that’s Agnes…Clem’s date”

“Ew, you’ll have to fumigate the place after, what a whiff!”
Spike nodded, and then said,

“Car?”

“Car!” Buffy replied, and they ran back to where he’d parked up.

Spike was just about to reach to switch on the ignition, when Buffy put her hand on his arm.

“Did you really write that song?”

“Every word, you saw all the failed attempts”

“Huh?”

“All that screwed up paper around the bin”

“Oh, right. It was beautiful”

“Like you then” Buffy smiled and looked down in her lap for a second or two, then she said,

“You’re very, very special to me you know, and one day, who knows, I might just – OH MY GOD, LOOK!”

Spike twisted hi head to look out of the open window, to see Clem naked, vaulting over gravestones, with Agnes in hot pursuit behind him.

“Leave………leave me alone! No more! (pant, pant, cough, choke) enough woman! Eight times is enough!”

Covering her mouth, Buffy started giggling uncontrollably, and Spike joined in.

“Succubus!” Clem shouted at Agnes

“You can suck ANYTHING of mine, big boy!”

“Ow, ooh, gerroff! Oh don’t touch that! It makes me ooooohhhhh! Aaaaahhhhh!”

Buffy saw Agnes groping Clem, and his face was doing its antennae thing with bells and whistles – Buffy was crying with laughter,

“Oh god, oh my gods, should he be that colour?” Buffy asked still giggling

“I’m not sure!”

“Oh gods, that was the funniest thing I ever saw!” Buffy said as they arrived back at her house.

“Look, hopefully the DVD will be nearly finished by now, and everybody can go home…then we can…

Buffy leant forward and whispered, making Spike grin.

“Right then, I’m going in there and telling everyone to bugger off now!”

“Don’t you dare!”

“Just joking pet, but”

“But what?”

“This dancing class, you better tell ‘whack-him’ that I’ll whack him if he so much as-“

“Spike – there’s no need. I decided, I’m not going again”

“No?”

“No – I can still swap courses for another one, I think I’d like to learn how to play the guitar”

“Yeah?” Spike grinned

“Yeah. Then I can write a song telling you what you mean to me. Come on, let’s go tell this lot to bugger off, I want you!” Spike picked her up and Buffy shrieked and began to giggle again………