Disclaimer: Whoever said these characters I use in my story are mine better be 'splaining to Mr. Whedon who really owns them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ch. 1

"Hey doc, we're back, and a stray followed us home." Xander was the first one through Dr. Giles' study doors as Giles looked up from his work at his announcement.

"I see that." He stood to meet and greet the newest arrival.

"Can we keep him?" Xander asked sporting a goofy grin.

"Hey, watch it, mate," Spike interjected. “I’m not the family pet.”

Giles walked around his desk to introduce himself but Spike was busy looking around the room at all the shelves of books and various weapons from various centuries hanging on the walls. The others stood in the middle of the room watching and waiting to see how the introduction played out.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Rupert Giles. I'm the founder of this establishment. We've been expecting you. And your name, sir?"

"Oh, uh, it's Spike." Spike finally rested his gaze on the Dr.

"Spike, very…colorful and…highly unusual."

"Oh, it's a nickname I picked up along the way. My name is actually William, but whoever calls me that tends to end up on the other side of my fist and rather unconscious afterwards."

The youngest member giggled out loud, Giles looking at her sternly for her outburst and she clammed up just as quickly. He extended his hand towards Spike.

"Very nice to finally meet you." Spike looked at the Dr.'s hand and ignored it.

"Yeah, whatever. So why am I here and why should you be expecting me? I've never heard of the likes of you and I’ve always been told the slayer was a myth. No offense little girl.” Spike looked over his shoulder at the petite blonde standing in the middle of the room, arms crossed over her chest and one hip jutting out from sheer irritation.

Spike seemed peeved. “Nothing will really surprise me now anyway.”

"How about we show you your room and meet later to discuss…"

"How 'bout you explain to me your intentions now." The others looked at one another in shock at the vampire’s eruption of rudeness towards Giles.

"I assure you, William," Spike cringed, "we will explain everything at our meeting. Willow, be a dear and show the lad to his room. I will have Buffy come by at half past the hour to escort you to the dining hall. You are excused."

The group headed out as the Dr. turned back to work at his desk and Spike stood there dumbfounded. He had never been talked to in that way by a human who lived to tell about it. He felt very much like a child who had been reprimanded by a father and he surprisingly accepted it. Willow touched his arm for a brief second and Spike slowly turned, head hung down, and followed the witch to his quarters.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

At half past ten, a soft knock brought him around. He opened his door only a crack to see the tiny slayer girl standing in the hallway, her hands placed on her hips.

"Hey there, Mr. Big Bad. I'm here to show you where to go…or tell you if you don't knock it off with the cocky attitude. Were you born an ass or did become one over time?"

He swung the door open quickly and took a step towards her.

"You know, pet, I could break you into little pieces," he snarled.

She leaned forward, their noses only inches apart. "I'd like to see you try…William."

She haughtily twirled around and marched boldly down the hall while Spike growled quietly as he shut his door behind him and reluctantly followed.

"I don't like you." She was seething by the time they reached the closed doors that led to the dining room.

"The feelings mutual, luv." He was reeling as he cocked his head to the side, hands on his hips.

Buffy crossed her arms in front of her. “You stay outta my way and I will stay outta yours. Deal?"

"You better believe it," he huffed.

They both reached out for the door handle at the same time. She flinched and pulled back so Spike yanked the door open with bitterness and stood waiting, staring daggers at her.

'After all that and he wants to be a gentleman?' she thought. As she made her way in, he suddenly edged her out of his way roughly and walked into the dining room ahead of her. Buffy's blood boiled over as she clinched her hands into fists a few times and silently counted to ten in her head, trying to simmer down to a respectable level.

Everyone was seated at the huge dining table, and Spike was surprised to find a mug of warmed blood waiting for him at his place. He sat down slowly and could feel their eyes watching his every move. He looked over each person before settling his stare at the Dr.

"So you say you know about me, how come I don't know about you?" he began curtly.

Giles looked at him. "Let's have a round of introductions so our vampire friend can learn something about us. Willow, will you please do the honors and begin?"

"Yes, sir, more than happy to. My name is Willow and I've been a practicing witch in white magick for about 3 years. I cast spells primarily but I'm still learning new things everyday. I've been with Dr. Giles going on 5 years now." Willow reached out and lightly touched the young woman next to her.

"Hi, I’m Tara. Everyone calls me a sorceress even though I do basically what Willow does even though I can read people's auras, whether human or demon. When Willow and I merge our powers together, we become even more influential in our magicks." She finished with a slight smile.

"My name's Dawn and I'm part of the slayer," she pointed at Buffy. "We're sisters but I’ve only been here a couple of years; have only been alive for a couple of years."

Spike looked at her confusingly. "How is that, lil bit?"

She smiled at his endearing nickname for her. "I was made from her, from her blood and I’m mystical energy. You see, I'm a key that can open certain portals or close them if the need arises, but I also inherited a lot of the slayer's strengths and abilities as well.” She smiled at him again. “No matter what anybody else says, I like you."

He tilted his head at her and smiled back. Alas, he thought, he had found one friend.

The thin young woman next to Dawn cleared her throat before beginning. "I am a vengeance demon and my name is Anyanka, but please call me Anya. I am over a thousand years old, I’ve seen all, and done all but my specialties are teleportation from one place to another, strength and I can also read auras. And even though you look rugged and sexy, I don’t trust you. Nothing against you, just vampires."

Spike smirked evilly towards Anya. “Touché.”

"The name’s Alexander but most call me Xander. And let me just tell you, we need some more guys around here. I'm outnumbered and no one gets my jokes," he chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. “Basically, I’m the one that keeps everyone together, kind of the lookout among the gang. If you need someone to talk to, I’m your man. Buffy?

"We've already been introduced and he already knows I don't like him. And sorry to inform you, but I'm not a myth. You can bet your sweet…"

"Buffy, manners, please."

Buffy looked at Giles apologetically before turning her sour glare to her teacup.

"So you see, William, this group of warriors have been assembled and trained under me for over six years. We have become a close-knit family and depend on one another for support during casual times and during battles. We had a visitor a few months back, a gnorra demon, who traveled through five dimensions to tell us that a dark and sinister evil was coming. All life that we know of, including vegetation, animals and demons, will be vanquished from this planet. Blackness will cover the lands and the seas and everything will die. But he spun a prophetic tale of hope about a vampire whose humanity had grown so strong that he had pushed the demon aside and gained a soul. He also informed us that the mystical number of souls needed to bind this foul beast was seven and that this souled vampire was the final piece to our livelihood. He said he would summon you to Sunnydale and gave us more information about you so we could pick you out of a crowd. Do you even know the reason why you came to be here?"

"I like a good fight, and I was told this was the place to be. Some demon who ran the local bar in the town I was staying mentioned it to me."

"Ah, the grand scheme of things. Amazing, really. Well, to continue, we offer you a safe house, a home where you can train and learn and fight against the forces of evil we encounter everyday." Giles sat back in his chair as he finished.

Spike looked around the table. All eyes were upon him once again. He cleared his throat and looked into the empty mug sitting in front of him.

"What can I say? I'll give it a go. What harm could it do?"

Giles stood to make his retreat. "That's all we ask. We do have some simple rules that must be followed as well and you will receive a copy of them tomorrow morning. Other than that, you have free range to roam throughout the building. Breakfast is 7 a.m. sharp. I expect you to be at the table whether you eat human food or not. Goodnight, all."

Spike’s mouth dropped open but nothing would come out. "Wait, rules? No one said anything about rules. I don't follow rules and nobody tells me what to do. And 7 a.m.? I'm not a morning person. Hello? Vampire here. Creature of the night?" At that particular moment, he noticed he was the only one left in the dining room. "Bloody hell."

To be continued