Title: Meant To Be
Part: 9/18

Angel glanced down at the sleeping Drusilla. She was so beautiful. Her sad, tragic style of beauty would of been lost hundreds of years ago if not for him. But, her innocence would have been preserved. He couldn't think of which was the better. He'd never stop feeling guilty about her.

His guilt fueled him. It was all he had besides her.

He'd had Buffy. How it killed him to think of how she'd felt in his arms. The sweet scent that was all over her and on everything she ever touched.

He hadn't seen her in months. Not up close, anyway. He'd see her sometimes at the Bronze with her friends. But, she scarcely went there anymore. She definitely didn't research with the others anymore.

He went often enough to the high school's library know that. Giles was still looking up the curse, but had little luck. Angel'd taken Dru a few times with him. Which had proved to be a mistake. He'd been forced to chain her up while he was gone at night... it made her irritable.

Surrounded by the teenagers, one night she'd snapped. She'd started raving about Willow and her secrets and lies... and told Xander his heart was a traitor, even to himself. The worst thing was when she tried to feed off Cordelia. He'd decided it'd be best to leave her chained up, instead of letting her out until she got a soul.

"You don't love me." Dru sat up, weeping.

"Of course I do, you know I love you." He forced her to lay back down. She'd been having trouble sleeping as of late. "Go back to sleep, Dru."

"You say you love me, but, I know you're thinking of her. Do I not make you happy, my sweet Angel?"

"You're the only one I think about." He groaned inwardly. He really wasn't in the mood to deal with her like this now.

"I see her swirling all over your mind... your heart. Good angels don't tell lies." She climbed out of bed. "I don't know what it is about her that makes you love her."

"Who?"

"The Slayer. You think of her while your with me. You think I don't know, because you scream my name, but I do. I see it when you shut your eyes. Pretending I'm warm and alive... not cold and dead. Not the monster you made me. I think Miss Edith was right when she said you never really loved me." She looked at him, smiling sadly. "I should have never betrayed my William. He loved me. But, I had hoped you might really love me. Now he's lost to me. Lost the same as you."

Angel sighed, getting out of bed, he gathered Dru into his arms. "I do love you Drusilla. We're meant for each other. Yes, I think about Buffy, but, only like you do of Spike. I swear, I love you more than anything."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike watched Buffy as she spoke to a few of his minions animatedly. They were girls, probably in their twenties when Dru'd had them turned. His lover was giving them tips on the latest fashions and hair styles.

"Just because you're dead doesn't mean you should let yourself go. I mean, you're gonna be around for a really long time. You have to look your best. And you can't look like you came with a bang right out of the Disco era, ya know?" The vamps nodded. "Don't be afraid to pick up a fashion magazine or two. It's not like they're laced in holy-water. Fashion magazines can only prove to be your friends." Buffy handed them the latest Cosmo, Vogue, Vanity Fair, In Style, and a few teen magazines.

Spike was surprised that she didn't seem to mind socializing with them. Considering it was her calling to kill them all. But, he figured if she was willing to shag the Big Bad, then being nice to a few vamps wasn't such a hard thing for her to do.

"Spike, I gotta get home. It's almost midnight." Spike pouted as she headed to the door.

"You're gonna be late no matter how quickly we leave. Why not stay a bit longer?" He followed her reluctantly.

"Because there's a difference in getting in trouble for being a few minutes late and getting home hours later than I should. You don't really want me to be grounded, do you?"

"No." He sulked.

"Come on, big baby," She teased. "Mom did say that I could stay out way late on my birthday."

"Mmmm. True." He slid an arm around her waist as they left his house. "What do you want for your birthday, Luv?"

"Well, I get to spend the night with you. What more could I want?" She stretched up to plant a kiss on his cheek.

"I'll just have to surprise you then." He opened the car door for her and she slid in the seat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike shifted from his right foot to his left. He found it impossible to meet Joyce's angry eyes. He kept looking at Buffy, who stood behind her mother, biting her bottom lip. Her eyes were glistening with unshed tears as Joyce was threatening to make Buffy stop seeing him.

The two had gotten to Buffy's house right at midnight. Buffy found a note from her mom saying she'd be at the gallery to unpack a shipment that had arrived late for a showing the next day.

Thinking they were in the clear, they'd gone up to her room. About twenty minutes later, Joyce came into Buffy's room to see her daughter underneath Spike, gasping, moaning, and very naked... in the middle of their orgasms.

"She is just a child!" Joyce cried, angry, upset and more than a little unhappy that she was having to deal with this now. She knew that teenagers were having sex far younger than Buffy, but, she just didn't want to see her child go through any of that.

"Mom... I'm sorry." Buffy said quietly. "But, I love him." Spike froze. Sure, she'd written those words in the journal where he kept his poems, but, she'd never said the words to him. His unbeating heart swelled. "And, I know you're upset and disappointed, but, it would of happened sooner or later."

Joyce faced Buffy. She seemed a little less angry than before. She stroked Buffy's hair, before facing Spike. "Did the two of you use protection?"

"Yes." Spike lied easily. There was no way he could explain to her that there was no need without dragging out what he was, or what Buffy was for that matter.

"I'm not happy about this at all." Joyce sighed. "You're older than Buffy, a fact which I brushed aside because I could tell she really liked you, and I thought you'd be more respectful of not only her but of myself as well."

"I respect you, Mrs. Summers. And I respect Buffy more than you could know. And," He sighed. "I love her more than I've ever loved anyone."

He smiled at Buffy when she let out a squeak of surprise. Her were wide and her mouth was opening and closing, like she was going to say something. "You do?" She finally managed.

"Yeah."

Joyce ruined the moment by launching into how Buffy would be seeing a gynecologist first thing after she got from school the next day, and how the two were not to do anything until Buffy was on birth control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was rushing towards her house. She had a date with Spike in less than an hour and she had to get ready... she was a mess from training with Giles. "Gotta get home. Gotta get home... Ahhh!" Buffy was down on the ground before she knew what hit her. "Sonofa..."

"I'm sorry, Buffy." Buffy looked up to see Angel standing over her, his hand out to her.

She stood on her own, pretending to not have seen his offered hand, and backed away from him. "Uh... hey, Angel."

"It's been a long time."

"Not long enough." She thought. She wasn't angry with him. No. She'd gotten over that the second she and Spike first kissed. It was just... weird. "Yeah, it has been."

"I've really wanted to talk to you. It just felt like it'd been too long. That this would be too awkward."

"You took the words right out of my mouth." She laughed a bit. "So, how's Drusilla? Giles' said you wanted to get her a soul. How does she feel about that?"

"About Dru, Buffy, you gotta understand..."

"Angel, I do. I'm okay with it. Really. I mean, it was a shock at first. But, I'm okay about it."

"Really?"

"Yup."

"Buffy, there's something I've been wanting to talk to you about. I thought about mentioning it to Giles, but, I didn't want to bother him anymore than I already have. Spike used to be with Drusilla. After she and I..." Angel looked away for a spilt second. "He was gone. All his things... his minions."

"He must of left town, right?" She shrugged, hoping to turn the conversation away from Spike.

"That's what I thought too. But, a while back, I saw one of his minions at the butcher shop getting a truckload of blood. I just thought you should be careful. He might have something big planned."

"Yeah. I will. Thanks. Look, I gotta run. My mom's expecting me home." Confused by Angel's little bit on news concerning her lover, she turned away and started walking.

"Buffy, wait." She stopped and faced him. "We can be friends, can't we? I'd hate to lose you in my life."

"Of course, Angel." She tried to smile, but couldn't. All she could think of was Spike... and a minion of his getting blood from the butchers?

She'd kind of accepted he'd gone on hunting, but was perhaps discrete about it. Funny she was willing to let him, if he had been. But, what Angel said, that meant he wasn't feeding, right? Or his minions. For her?

She have to ask him about it tonight, that was for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel frowned as he watched Buffy walk away. She'd almost crashed into a street lamp. She'd always been a strange girl, but, something was wrong.

He decided he'd better follow her home. No sense in getting her killed by some stray vamp because she wasn't paying attention to where she was walking. He made sure he was far enough behind so she wouldn't sense him.

When she walked onto her street block, past a large bush, a vampire jumped out at her. Or more particularly, Spike. He grabbed Buffy around the waist, his mouth latching onto her neck.

He knew Spike was up to something!

Buffy let out a yelp, shoving him away. Angel was going to rush over to help her, but didn't when she spoke, "Spike! You startled me!" She socked him lightly on his arm.

"Didn't sense me?"

"I was thinking about stuff."

"Like me, perhaps?" The blonde grinned, moving to hold Buffy around her waist. Angel wasn't sure if that, or the fact that she placed her arms around him as well, shocked him more.

"Sort of. Spike, I heard that you had your minions buy blood... from the butchers."

"Yeah, I do. What of it?" He let go of her and lit a cigarette. Angel knew this was a habit the blonde had picked up in his fledgling days. Whenever he got nervous or uncomfortable, he'd light up a cigarette. "Who told you? Red?"

"Willow knows? Why does Willow know and not me?" Buffy pouted.

"So, Red didn't squeal. Who told you, Buffy? Was it Dalton? I swear I'll wring his bloody neck..."

"Angel told me. Just a little while ago."

"You spoke to the Poofter?"

"Only for a minute."

"Didn't let him get too close, did you? If he smelled me on you, I'm dead."

"Er."

"Huh?"

"Deader. Duh." She giggled. "No. He kinda stood far away from me the whole time. But... I didn't think he could smell... wait, does that mean other vampires can smell... what we do?"

"Probably." He tossed the cigarette to the ground. "What'd you two talk about?"

"Nothing, really. We kinda bumped into each other on accident. But, he seemed like he wanted to make sure my girlie feelings weren't hurt 'cause he's with Drusilla."

"And were your girlie feelings hurt?"

"You of all people should know how glad me and my girlie feelings are to him for that night." She took his hand in hers. "I mean it, Spike, that I love you."

"I know, Buffy." Spike pulled her to him and kissed her.

Angel just stood there, hidden by his distance and a few trees, horrified, shocked and jealous. He'd always hated his grand-childe. But, he'd never more wanted to torture him and see him burst into a cloud of dust than in that moment.