Title: Meant To Be
Part: 13/18

"Hey Wills, what's wrong?" Xander plopped down on the sofa next to Willow. They were at Cordy's house. Oz was flipping through a mass of CD's on the other side of the room. Cordy was in the kitchen being a good hostess by getting her guest's drinks.

"Nothing." She replied absently. That was a lie, of course. Something had been up between Buffy and Giles earlier and she was a little more than worried that that something was Spike. There was no way that their relationship could be kept quite forever.

They were together too often nowadays. People must know. Maybe someone had tipped Giles off. Or maybe he'd just found out on his own.

Spike hadn't exactly been discreet in renting out the Bronze for Buffy's birthday. She knew about it... and she hadn't even been in the loop. His and Buffy's name had been tossed around by the Bronze's employees when people asked why it was going to be closed.

"Okay. Uh... how're things with Oz?"

She smiled at the thought of her boyfriend. "Good." She looked over at him, and he looked at her at the exact same moment. Her smile brightened and a faint smile cracked over his usually stoic face. "Really good."

"That's, uh, good." Xander squirmed a bit.

"And with you and Cordy?"

"Super." He answered a little too quickly.

"Xand, what is it?"

"I'm afraid she'll break up with me. Her friends have been..."

"Making fun of her since you two started going out?"

"Yeah."

"I think you should give her more credit than what you're thinking. Kinda wacky how much you two like each other considering all of our childhood was spent with the two of you hating each other."

"I think maybe it was just misplaced passion."

"When did you get all wise?"

"'Round the same time Buffy started boinking the undead. Kinda opened my eyes to things."

Willow's eyes widened. "What?"

"Will, I'm not an idiot. She's been practically MIA for months now. She and Angel must be back together."

Willow sighed in relief. Not that Xander was an idiot... he was just very blissfully ignorant. "That's not why she hasn't been around. We both know Angel's with Drusilla."

"Well, he hasn't been around lately. Maybe he dumped her and got back with Buffy."

"No. Trust me, that's not why."

"Then why hasn't seen been around?"

"Uh... her mom. She's been wanting major bonding time. That's partly why. And, she's been doing all kinds of extra school stuff to keep her grades up."

"Well, that's good. I really didn't like Angel. I mean... he was a vampire for goodness sakes! Could she pick a worse person to hook up with?"

Willows intended laugh came out as a snort. "I guess not?"

"You guess not what?" Cordelia walked into the room, carrying a tray full of drinks and snacks.

"Guess that Buffy couldn't go out with a worse person than Angel."

"Well, Harm said she's seen Buffy with some complete goth guy in the Bronze a few times. At least Angel's..." She stopped mid sentence at the hurt look Xander was giving her... knowing very well how that sentence ended. "You know, I really hate that they allow people to rent out the Bronze."

"Wait... Buffy's been going out with some guy?"

"That's what Harmony said. She said his name was Sparky... Spanky... or maybe Sparkly. You never know with those freaks. Whatever it was, it was something lame."

"Willow, did you now this?"

"Know what?" She squeaked. "I don't know anything."

Oz walked over. "I wonder if that's the same guy that talked to you that night?" Willow shook her head and waved her hands frantically. "Wasn't his name Spike?"

Willow groaned and buried her face in her hands. She knew she'd forgotten to tell Oz never to mention Buffy's undead lover in front of anyone. She kinda thought he would have gotten the whole not telling anyone thing when Spike had confronted her.

Oz must have realized his slip and looked as shame faced as he could possibly look. "Sorry."

"S-p-p-pike?" Xander's face contorted from surprise, disbelief, then to shock and disgust.

"Isn't Spike a vampire... the one who wanted to kill us? And almost killed Buffy when she was all weepy, weak costume possessed girl on Halloween?" Cordelia asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was an hour or so later when Xander finally stopped grilling Willow about what she knew. She stayed as true to Buffy as she could. But she did tell Xander that it was true. He was her best friend... they'd grown up together. She couldn't completely lie to him.

She knew Buffy would be hurt because of that. She was worried a little more about what Spike would do to her.

"So why aren't we at the Bronze right now? You know... staking his evil, undead butt for trapping Buffy."

"Because, Xander, she's in love with him."

"Maybe he has her in some thrall thinggy... like the Master..."

"I don't think that's what it is. And, if it was some evil trick, he'd of killed her by now. He's probably had plenty of chances."

"I'm with Xander. We should go to the Bronze." Cordelia said. "I mean, who are they to think they should have the Bronze all to themselves on a Saturday night?"